ROI on Master Suite or In-Law Unit in Vacation Destination?

ROI on Master Suite or In-Law Unit in Vacation Destination?

Jeff PollockPro Member
Truckee, CA · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 10 votes

Hey Everyone, I'm really stoked to be under contract on a 3BR 1.5BA single family home in Lake Tahoe, CA and I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense long-term. What really sold me on the house is a completely separate great room and half bath on one side of the ranch style home with a separate entrance. My plan with the house is to have it as my primary residence and house hack the next couple years until I can get into another property, and in the meantime increase the value of the property/get it to a place I can cash flow, likely with AirBnB given the location. 

The question with the separate space is, do I create a nice master bedroom with full bath that connects to the rest of the house, or should I make the separate space into a whole separate in-law unit? In the interest of beginning with the end in mind, I would ideally hold onto it long term, have it cash flow, and always have a place to go in Lake Tahoe when I wanted to. 


If I went the in-law route I feel it would be an easier quality of life to house hack with short term rentals, because I could essentially rent out either side of the house and always have a place to stay. The downside of this would be that the place itself would be less appealing to larger groups coming to Tahoe to vacation that would pay more per night for a 4BR 2BA with master bedroom. I also think that while the in-law provides more flexibility, the route with master bedroom and bath may increase the value of the property more than an in-law and give me more flexibility in terms of exit strategies. Maybe I can create the in-law for the short term and plan to be able to add a door to the main house if I need to open it up down the road to turn it into a master after I move out?

I haven't been able to find any solid analysis comparing these two or estimating ROI or costs to build associated with both, so any help would be very much appreciated!

0Reply
14 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 952 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Pollock:

    Hey Everyone, I'm really stoked to be under contract on a 3BR 1.5BA single family home in Lake Tahoe, CA and I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense long-term. What really sold me on the house is a completely separate great room and half bath on one side of the ranch style home with a separate entrance. My plan with the house is to have it as my primary residence and house hack the next couple years until I can get into another property, and in the meantime increase the value of the property/get it to a place I can cash flow, likely with AirBnB given the location. 

    The question with the separate space is, do I create a nice master bedroom with full bath that connects to the rest of the house, or should I make the separate space into a whole separate in-law unit? In the interest of beginning with the end in mind, I would ideally hold onto it long term, have it cash flow, and always have a place to go in Lake Tahoe when I wanted to. 


    If I went the in-law route I feel it would be an easier quality of life to house hack with short term rentals, because I could essentially rent out either side of the house and always have a place to stay. The downside of this would be that the place itself would be less appealing to larger groups coming to Tahoe to vacation that would pay more per night for a 4BR 2BA with master bedroom. I also think that while the in-law provides more flexibility, the route with master bedroom and bath may increase the value of the property more than an in-law and give me more flexibility in terms of exit strategies. Maybe I can create the in-law for the short term and plan to be able to add a door to the main house if I need to open it up down the road to turn it into a master after I move out?

    I haven't been able to find any solid analysis comparing these two or estimating ROI or costs to build associated with both, so any help would be very much appreciated!

    Jeff,

    It sounds like you have a good handle on what you need to consider in making this decision.

    I'd suggest you compare the expected income of a 4/2 versus a 3/1 and 1/1 combo at: https://www.airdna.co/airbnb-calculator

    I'd also look at how things are selling on the market now. What's a 4/2 sell for compared to a 3/1 with a 1/1 ADU?

    Once you have a sense of how each option will perform in terms of cashflow and exit, then you can compare the costs associated with each option to derive an ROI.

    Good luck!

    Best,

    Jon

  • Jeff PollockPro Member
    OP
    Truckee, CA · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Great call, thanks Jon! I'll definitely check the Air DNA calculator and I think I'll just have to make due with not much comp volume in the area to begin with. If there's anything I can do in the future to help out in the future once I'm a bit more experienced in the Tahoe area don't hesitate to reach out!

  • Real Estate Agent · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Member since 2016 · 680 posts · 644 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Pollock

    You can build in the door like a master bedroom and then frame it and drywall over it so that it is easy to open again later and install a door.

    Be sure to check what locality you’re in, some are starting to talk about banning a separate unit in a single family residence from being a vacation rental.  This is in the new language for a proposed “Shared Vacation rentals” ordinance that South Lake Tahoe City council is considering. 

    Having that door in between may be the difference in that situation. ( not legal advice)

  • Jeff PollockPro Member
    OP
    Truckee, CA · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Dustin Allen, interesting thanks for calling it out. I’ll definitely have to look into that. Do have an idea of what the ordinance is actually trying to protect against? If it’s being discussed in South Lake I’m guessing it may be coming up where I am as well. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.