Auditing tech school classes to learn do it yourself projects

Auditing tech school classes to learn do it yourself projects

Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 190 votes

I was reading the "going to college" thread and was curious - has anyone here ever audited a class at a technical college to improve their handyman skills? For example, I've considered doing an electrical and/or HVAC basics class to not only get better at the small stuff, but to also self diagnose issues that might come up and make sure I'm not getting oversold on repairs. I assume you could do it like you can at larger schools but I have an undergraduate degree and really don't care about getting "credit" for it. Has anyone done this and had positive or negative feedback from it? Any better schools to try if I decide to pursue?

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wisconsin: Eau Claire and Rapids · Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    I'm curious as well if anyone has done it.  It sounds like a great idea to me, but I love the DIY home improvement stuff and will try anything.  My husband and I try some lighter stuff after studying at YouTube University :)  

    Please update us if you do pursue this and let us know how it worked out!

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 190 votes
    6y

    @Rebecca E. Youtube University has helped me more times than I can count! HVAC I mainly want to be able to change out capacitors - they cost next to nothing and I end up spending $200 to get someone to fix them. Never fails when summer hits I have at least one rental go out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.