Extensive pest report, who to do the work?

Extensive pest report, who to do the work?

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 11 votes

I'm about to close on a fourplex with a hefty pest report, but only a limited amount that's structural.  It's intended to be a long term hold, so I have interest in resolving deferred maintenance.

I'm working through what I need to get done, and could use some advice on what I should have the pest company do, what I should hire a contractor for and what I should take on.  I'm fairly handy, but new to rehab, and I've heard stories about how much pest companies mark up their work.  Here's what I'm thinking right now:

1. The pest company should take on treatment for termites, framing work, and anything that requires chemical treatment.  There's some sheathing behind stucco that has termite/fungus damage they should probably take on as well?

2. I should hire a contractor for more extensive repair/rebuild of balconies and stairs.

3. I (or my handyman) can take on replacing trim, window sills, etc. that have been fungus damaged.

Does that makes sense?  How far is it worth going to get competitive bids for the items the pest company should take on?

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y

    Pest control companies are notoriously high for construction work so I would recommend having your contractor do all the construction work and the pest company only doing the chemical treatments.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.