• Professional Engineer
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Carpeting installation cost, MN

Isaac Braun
  • Professional Engineer
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Jan 28 2018, 05:58
I am wondering if anyone in Minnesota had a rough estimate of home much carpeting costs installed, per sqft. I am new to rehabbing and would just like to have a rough idea before getting bids. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Kerr
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Everywhere, USA
Votes |
  • Everywhere, USA
Replied Jan 28 2018, 07:03

@Isaac Braun - Look at Lowes or HomeDepot. In the different MSA I work in, I found that I could get the average carpet job done from the box store cheaper than with my normal flooring guys. A lot of times they install for $99 or free when you buy so much carpet. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Anderson
  • Saint Cloud, MN
Votes |
  • Saint Cloud, MN
Replied Jan 28 2018, 07:17
Originally posted by @Isaac Braun:
I am wondering if anyone in Minnesota had a rough estimate of home much carpeting costs installed, per sqft. I am new to rehabbing and would just like to have a rough idea before getting bids. Thanks!

Does this mean you have a property under contract and are now preparing to rehab?

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Scatton
  • Lansdale, PA
Votes |
  • Lansdale, PA
Replied Jan 28 2018, 10:00
Around here home depot installs for free on any carpet purchase over $700. With that said you can get decent carpet for about $1-$1.25 a sq ft.

User Stats

Votes
Isaac Braun
  • Professional Engineer
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Professional Engineer
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jan 28 2018, 16:24

@Erik Anderson unfortunately no, I just wanted to have an idea since the listing agent said it would need new carpet. After viewing, it needs much much more than new carpet. Oh well. On to the next one!

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Excelsior, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Excelsior, MN
Replied Jan 29 2018, 03:59

I paid 1.89/sq ft for pad (super magic 7/16) and Mohawk carpet (fierce competition- action bac- rawhide) last summer.  That includes installation.

User Stats

Votes
Gerald Scott Shuster
  • Brewerton, NY
Votes |
  • Brewerton, NY
Replied Jan 29 2018, 05:58

I have a Flooring store In Brewerton,NY and I go against Lowes and Home Depot all the time and I almost always am cheaper with better installation also. The free install or whatever is crap. They are getting their money one way or the other. People hear free and in their head it makes sense even though nothing is free. Get exact same quotes from local and Box store. Have them come and measure for u and pick exact same carpets. The only time they have beat me price wise is the really cheap stuff that falls apart in 1 year. Lol. Also remember check the local stores star rating. Depot and Lowes installers are usually not top notch. Just make sure whoever u go with that u expect top notch work. Have a great day.

User Stats

Votes
Isaac Braun
  • Professional Engineer
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Professional Engineer
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jan 29 2018, 06:27

Thank you @Gerald Scott Shuster, @Account Closed for your input. I greatly appreciate it! 

User Stats

Votes
Bob B.
  • Investor
  • Jasper GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jasper GA
Replied Jan 29 2018, 08:28

I agree with @Gerald Scott Shuster .  The big box stores will require you to buy their pad, pay extra for stairs and any other nitpick item they can come up with.  Free, but at what cost?  

Compare Apples to Apples

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jan 29 2018, 08:50

Rough budget it $2 per sqft which includes carpet, pad and installation.  Most of the time we use Home Depot, you can get cheaper carpet from them but that price should cover most rehabs.  I am always buying enough carpet to get over the limit and for a while it has been free install, tear out, and removal.  Tear out and removal saves time and cost.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Lee
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jan 29 2018, 12:51

We actually went about it a little differently than most of the posters hear. We found some really good deals on closeout carpet at Menards and are paying an install company (Above the Rest out of Roseville) for our install.

Anyway, to the meat of your question, $0.65-$0.75 seems to be the going rate for install around here. We’re paying $6.50/sq yard for install of pad and carpet ($0.72/sq ft). Spend as much or as little as your desire on the carpet and pad. 

User Stats

Votes
David Moore
  • Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Replied Jan 29 2018, 15:13

All,

I have a good flooring guy, carpets, pergo, etc.  Found him on Craigslist of all places.  Carpeted three of our apartments...good rate.  I hate carpeting.  

One large strike against Home Depot is the insane wait until they can schedule the install.  I don't have tons of confidence in Home Depot contractors.

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jan 30 2018, 10:39
Originally posted by @David Moore:

All,

I have a good flooring guy, carpets, pergo, etc.  Found him on Craigslist of all places.  Carpeted three of our apartments...good rate.  I hate carpeting.  

One large strike against Home Depot is the insane wait until they can schedule the install.  I don't have tons of confidence in Home Depot contractors.

You are correct on the wait, seems like it takes a month from start to finish.  We have built that LLLLLAAAAAAGGGG into our ordering.  It can be done a bit quicker but it will cost a bit more.  They always say they have to special order the carpet (which is BS as they have it at the store) and you can pay a fee, maybe $150 to have them grab it at the store.  Otherwise I feel it goes to the warehouse for the rough cut and the installers pickup from a central location.  Have always gotten good work quality but I recently bumped into the 651-carpets guy and it sounds like are similar and a lot quicker.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of benefit in price shopping for carpet unless you are looking for a luxury brand or style.  Either you pay retail and get it installed "for free" or you pay someone to install it but purchase it cheaper from a wholesaler.  Ends up being about the same price in the end.  For residential rental you should be able to get it installed for $2 per sqft or under.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Isaac Braun
  • Professional Engineer
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Professional Engineer
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Mar 27 2018, 07:38

Thank you @Bob B.@Joseph Lee and Huge shout out to @David Moore and @John Woodrich you two comment lots of very helpful information on many many different forums