Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
John Frank
  • Rental Property Investor
  • California, PA
Votes |
Paint sprayers

John Frank
  • California, PA
Posted May 31 2016, 03:34
Does anyone no of a good paint sprayer? I'm looking for a sprayer to paint the interior of my flip properties and rentals. I saw that the Graco X5 was one of the top sprayers but when I read the reviews I saw a lot of the reviews that said it broke after only one use.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Thomas
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied May 31 2016, 04:08

I like Graco products. I have the X7 which works better for 5 gallon buckets of paint. I have used it on several properties with no issues. Just make sure to clean it well after you are done and use the chemical provided to store it between uses. 

User Stats

Votes
David Handel
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
  • Madison, WI
Replied May 31 2016, 05:21

The big box store sprayers are not durable enough for regular use.  They are aimed at the diy/homeowner that will use it on small projects a couple times a year, which is why the price point is so low.  I don't believe the big box versions can be repacked, which is the fix for a majority of airless sprayer issues.  When it comes to regular, consistent use, these are disposable machines.

For regular interior and exterior paints, I would recommend the Graco 390 PC or the Graco Ultra 395 PC.  They are small machines designed for the lower volume professional painter (prices usually in the $900-1200 range).  For most regular rental turnovers and flips, these will be great choices.  

If you are planning on spraying more specialized coatings like epoxies, block fillers, or textured coatings, you will need a bigger machine that can handle the workload.  Take care of your tools, and they will take care of you!  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Todd Plambeck
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Votes |
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Replied May 31 2016, 05:33

It does depend on your intended use.  Are you going to be spraying the occasional unit for make ready after vacancy or are you going to be using it every day?

User Stats

Votes
David Sisson
  • Architect
  • Providence, RI
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Providence, RI
Replied May 31 2016, 06:34

I've rented professional quality sprayers from the big box stores before and had great results. I'm not a fan of spraying interiors, due to overspray, but it's your choice. What about 2 foot wide rollers instead? 

User Stats

Votes
Darwin Crawford
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jun 2 2016, 13:18

FWIW, before you go out and invest in a good sprayer (graco makes great machines), take some time and see what it costs to paint a house.  Unless you are painting all the time, sprayers will cost you way more than they are worth. 

Painting is typically a very competitive industry, and you might be surprised how cheaply you can get it done.  

I'm a little biased, but after spending time as a kid/teenager working the low rungs of the construction trade, I'll avoid painting pretty much at all costs.  

Sprayers are great, but are complex machines, and require maintenance, parts, paint, cleanup, etc.  As I've progressed in my RE life, I sub out more and DIY less, and painting was the first trade to go. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 19 2018, 03:12

Graco x5 is a good one, but if you want to try another, here is a collection of   HVLP paint prayer alternatives to Graco.

What do you think of Wagner?

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Aug 19 2018, 03:42

We rent them & ONLY spray the primer & ceiling paint. But we do color the primer the same as the finish coat & you do need to catch the runs etc.

The last time we hired a 'painter' the kid he sent knocked over a gallon of blue paint onto new carpet & then walked in it. We had supplied thick plastic sheeting etc etc but it happens & they paid for the replacement. The incoming tenant wanted blue paint on one wall in the bedroom & she was paying above market rent so we agreed. 

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Devitt
  • Contractor
  • Oxford, MA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Oxford, MA
Replied Aug 19 2018, 04:26

If it is just for interiors, just get good at rolling and cutting in with a brush. The prep time for spraying and the cleanup time after make it not worth it. They seem like they would save time because you can spray a whole room in 15 minutes, but once you add in the 2hrs of taping and plastic before, cleaning up the dust after and cleaning the system after, the 2hrs to brush and roll a room is much quicker and cheaper

User Stats

Votes
David Niles
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • DeLand FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • DeLand FL
Replied Aug 19 2018, 21:04

I owned a Graco XR9 for years, great sprayer and never had any issues.  A couple years ago sold it off and got a real good deal on a Titan Pro 440 XT, also a great machine.  How much spraying and what type of paints / stains you are going to use is what you should base your budget on for purchase.  Thicker paints require more power and will put much more wear and tear on the unit.

As far as interiors, I only spray ceilings now when we are going to do all of them at once, even with that we always have someone come directly behind backrolling which stops any striping. 

Our main use for spraying is exterior work, makes a nice job and is MUCH faster.  As others have said though, setup, tear down and clean up as well as any masking and plastic eat up ALOT of time and may end up not saving you any time at all vs hand painting depending how much you are painting. 

Maxim Realtors Logo