Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mary Meyer
  • Friendswood, TX
Votes |
Cement Paver Patio Base

Mary Meyer
  • Friendswood, TX
Posted

Husband and I are fixing up a rental home and want to add a patio. We have thick cement pavers and are looking for the right base material. I've heard everything from crushed granite (expensive!!) to limestone, to crushed concrete to stabilized sand. We live in Houston Texas so it very wet. What have you tried? What do you recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Bob H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cedar Park, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cedar Park, TX
Replied

I once built one of those. I used plain, medium-sized gravel with sand on top of it, then more sand to sweep into the joints once the pavers were down. It worked well.

The one thing I'd change is that I saved a little money by not renting a compacting machine to settle the base. Because of that decision, I probably had a little more uneven settlement than necessary. My main problem over the years, though, was that a tree nearby had roots under the patio and eventually would push up the pavers. That required removing some pavers and sand and trimming the roots in some areas before resetting the pavers.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Clanton
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Monroe, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Monroe, NC
Replied

Hi @Mary Meyer, most contractors in my area will install a base (the depth of which will be determined by the condition/type of soil at the proposed site, usually 8"-12") of very well compacted 3/4" or 1/2" gravel which is blended with smaller aggregates all the way down to a sand-like size. Then, before installing the pavers, they may install a 1"-2" layer of sand or gravel screenings on top of the compacted gravel fill. This layer will be graded to exactly the right planes/heights so that the pavers can be installed directly on top with little to no adjustments. Then, sand/screenings will be sprinkled and swept into the joints between the pavers, and a final round with a plate compactor will settle the pavers firmly into place. 

Also, the gravel doesn't need to be anything fancy or expensive, just whatever your local rock quarry offers that meets that description. They should be able to make a recommendation what you should use.

I've included a website that explains it pretty well also. Hope this helps, good luck!

http://www.pavetech.com/guides/Walkways.htm

• Michael Clanton
  • BiggerPockets logo
    BiggerPockets
    |
    Sponsored
    Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
    Jim Adrian
    • Architect
    • Papillion, NE
    Votes |
    • Architect
    • Papillion, NE
    Replied

Pouring a concrete patio is cheaper than pavers.  I wanted to do pavers and it was going to cost me double. I ended up with 400 sf  concrete patio for $2000. It was done in a day! Dont get me wrong pavers look nicer! 

User Stats

Votes
    Andy Luick
    • Real Estate Investor
    • atlanta, GA
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Investor
    • atlanta, GA
    Replied

Pavers are nicer - I think your area has a sandy soil.  Go with @Bob H. and rent a compactor at Home Depot to risk it settling over time, little gravel base with sand swept into the joints will do the trick.  A benefit with pavers is that if a root ever pops them up, you can trim the root and lay them back down....can't do that with concrete.  We've done a bunch of these over the years for clients and on some of our rentals with great results.

User Stats

Votes
    Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
    • Severna Park, MD
    Votes |
    • Severna Park, MD
    Replied

When we do them , its 2 inches of CR6  , 1 inch stone dust , then 1 inch mason sand , the first 2 are compacted with a plate compactor , then the pavers , then hit it with the plate compactor .  Then tale 3 motrin when finished ,