Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Shadow
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Votes |
Vinyl siding over asbestos

Michael Shadow
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Posted Aug 24 2008, 22:52

Has anyone ever installed vinyl siding over asbestos? I'm going to put 1/2 foam insulation over the asbestos, then side over that.

My main question is what type of nails or screws do you use to get through the asbestos siding? Also do you know if there is an air tool that could be used to install the siding with out attaching the siding too tightly?

Thanks,

-Michael

Account Closed
  • Manhattan, NY
Votes |
  • Manhattan, NY
Replied Aug 24 2008, 19:00

I'd check to make sure the building codes in your area allow that; many don't.

You can't nail through the asbestos siding if it is the rigid kind, it is brittle and will shatter.

There is a vinyl siding product that uses adhesive instead of nails, but it has not been in field use long enough for me to consider it. I told the contractor who recommended it for a rental in NC to call me in 15 years and let's see how it holds up.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Shadow
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Replied Aug 24 2008, 19:02

Local codes allow me to cover it.

It is the hard brittle kind. Would 1/2" furring strips be better with insulation between the strips?

-Michael

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!
Account Closed
  • Manhattan, NY
Votes |
  • Manhattan, NY
Replied Aug 24 2008, 19:24

Probably, but you will need to drill through the asbestos with a masonry bit and with appropriate protection to nail the strips to the studs.

However, due to the nature of the materials, you are probably going to have to hand nail it to the strips.

User Stats

Votes
Terry Royce
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Aug 25 2008, 06:23

Why don't you get replacement asbestos shingles?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Shadow
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Replied Aug 25 2008, 06:40

I'm not even sure you can still buy them. I also want to update the look of the property.

User Stats

Votes
Terry Royce
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Aug 25 2008, 08:09

You can buy matching replacements that are not asbestos. I think they break down to be 7 or 8 bucks per shingle.

http://www.abccatalog.com/store/listcategoriesandproducts.asp?idCategory=715

I am looking at a house with these, and I like the look, because it goes with the style of the house and new siding is not in the budget.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Whitaker
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Replied Aug 27 2008, 05:06

I have used a pneumatic stapler to install siding over asbestos, but the siding was hardboard, not vinyl. As for the old siding, replacing it or tearing it down usually always leads to legal matters. Also, if you could somehow use a pneumatic tool the shattered siding wouldn't be able to move anyways.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Haynes
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Verona, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Verona, MO
Replied Oct 4 2008, 21:52

You can use a pneumatic nailer if you make a modified head/shoe or whatever the thingy is called. You know, the part that rest on the board or vinyl.. This modification is nothing more that a piece of metal placed on the head/shoe so that it doesn’t let the hammer go all the way in and strike the vinyl. Basically it just keeps the nail from being driven up tight. I’m sure these names are maybe not correct but hope you get idea.. You will have to play with the thickness of the material you use to get the right depth.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Bertolet
  • Contractor
  • Bloomington, AL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Bloomington, AL
Replied Oct 8 2008, 03:58

Some nailers have a depth adjustment. I know the bostitch roofing nailing has one. Many of the new models have it as well. It will drive the nail and leave almost 1/8 sticking up. They also make siding nailrs that might incorporate this feature.

User Stats

Votes
Phil *
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Connecticut
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Connecticut
Replied Dec 30 2008, 03:45

From what I read you should use screws, but my siding guy who is very meticulous preffers to use long nails w/o any problems.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Santiago
  • Homeowner
Votes |
  • Homeowner
Replied Feb 12 2009, 22:55

Is this house to sell or for a rental? If its for a rental, double check with your insurrance agent about difference in cost for vinyl vs. asbestos. I found that asbestos siding (which is fire resistant) is about $200/year cheaper to insure. Just FYI...

User Stats

Votes
Scott Williams
  • Battle Creek, MI
Votes |
  • Battle Creek, MI
Replied Feb 13 2009, 02:56

If you drill or saw the asbestos you may get in trouble. The dust is the main health hazard.

In my experience as bad as it sounds your first plan was the best, just put insulation over it and nail through it,

Best to talk with your building codes office(maybe even call twice and make sure you get the same answer from two different people).

Asbestos and lead are both things that I hear can get very expensive in a hurry if you don't cya.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Just Don
Votes |

'HERE" you can put a half dozen sheets of it in double plastic bags and take it to the regular land fill. It may happen sooner or later you cant do that any more.

I would say take it off,,I cant imagine residing with it on,,,When it breaks and it will,it all settles down and makes bulges where you dont want them.

Last one I took off,I picked a steady drizzle rain day,it kept me cool under my raincoat,,the dust all settled,,,very little dust to start with and took a potatoe fork and dumped it on the ground,,,alot like jerking off shingles.

And I bought a bostich nailing gun and a VS-46 adapter to apply the siding with,,,it was a 46 Bostich gun ,,,VS stands for vinyl siding,,,think the adapter was like 25-30 bucksmmmand your right,it stops the nail from being driven tight.

Its also been said,,,if you have a place in the country away from prying eyes and can bury it,,,its gone,,,and was told it really isnt illegal to do that,,,maybe they were wrong,dunno.