Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Natalya Murphy
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
Tile floor install: DIY or hire a contractor?

Natalya Murphy
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Posted Apr 11 2015, 11:53

We have about 1,000 square feet of carpeted floor that we'd like to convert to tile.   I'm wondering if it's worth the crazy labor cost to pay someone to do the work, or if it's a project I could do myself.   From what I've read, the trickiest part is getting each tile level when you set it in place.   It looks like there are spacers available to ensure the tiles are placed correctly in relation to each other, and I'm not afraid of using a tile cutter for the edge pieces.   My question is really about how difficult it is to get each tile level.   Also, are there any other gotchas I should be aware of before I try to take this on as a DIY?

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Thom
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Replied Apr 11 2015, 18:30

I don't know what kind of house you have but I have a decent house and my tiles aren't level and the grout lines aren't uniform....... And I lived here a decade before I noticed.

To me the hardest part is actually doing the work. Getting up and down, being on your knees, bending over all day.

Cutting tiles can be a challenge if you have angle and corner pieces but a basic install isn't too hard. Also knowing how to start and getting it laid out right.

Research any surface prep you have to do especially if your floor is not concrete.

I by no means claim to be an expert. I have only done small projects.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Shafer
  • Student
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Student
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Apr 11 2015, 19:48

1000 square feet probably isn't something you want to tackle for your first tile job. If you find a good tile guy the time saved and knowledge is definitely worth it. 

As far as how hard it is to get the tiles level, it depends on what tile your using. In general the larger a tile is the easier it is to get it to sit flat. Thin/narrow tiles tend to be harder the get level in the shorter dimension. (like wood-plank tiles) Also most tiles have beveled edges which help to hide any uneven edges.

Good luck.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Apr 11 2015, 20:00

I hate doing tile.  It's not hard.  It's just hard.  if that makes sense.  You are on your knees.  The lines need to be straight.  And it's very messy.  But it can be done if you are up for it.  Be sure to start in the center of the room (don't assume the walls are straight.  Use the spacers.  Make sure the thinset is mixed properly and you are using the right trowel.  Trowels are designed to put the proper amount of mortar under the tile, so you need to watch a youtube video or two on proper technique.  Too little and the tiles will sound hollow when tapped (and will break), too much and it seems into your grout lines.  Also, as tempting as it may be, don't stop in the middle of a job.  I've found from experience that a tile job 90 percent done is only half done.  Since it's done in stages, get a helper, give yourself time, and do it at one time (or at least one section at a time).  you can get a mallet that helps get the air bubbles out and keep things level.  If your floor is not level, you may need to prep it with a self leveler product, which can be expensive.  Good luck.  Don't forget the sealer a few days later.  I use polyurethene as a sealer and just cover all the tile.  But if you don't do that, your grout will look old and dirty in a hurry.  And, invest in kneepads.  they will be worth their weight in gold

User Stats

Votes
Mike Landry
  • Investor
  • Montgomery, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Montgomery, TX
Replied Apr 11 2015, 20:02

i tiled a kitchen and bathroom once. I won't do it again. I might do small projects like closets or small bathrooms if needed. It's easy but your body will ache and it will take a lot longer than a pro. 

User Stats

Votes
Johnny Kula
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Billerica, MA
Votes |
  • Billerica, MA
Replied Apr 11 2015, 20:23

Might be easier to buy the material and hire someone to lay it out, especially being that big!  Home Depot or some of the bargain outlets have tile for a pretty decent discount!  I've had good luck with HD tile in the past.  I hate tiling as well...the worst is once you lay it out and are 90% done...grouting/cleaning SUCKS even more!  1,000 sq ft will be the most discouraging job you've done in a long time in my opinion...hire someone!

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 11 2015, 20:33

Subfloor is the most important prep step.

Need 3/4 inch thick plywood. Must all be level and flush. Any deflection or uneven seams between sheets will lead to cracked tiles on the future.

Good installers will also put down a layer of hardi backer on top of the plywood before tiling.

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel Perez
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Apr 11 2015, 21:09

Don't DIY and Don't Hire a Contractor.

Let me explain, if you DIY you would get hurt, for the amount of time that you have to be in the floor laying out and installing, If you hire a contractor de cost would just hurt your pocket.

What to do, find a big site Job where you can walk in and ask for the a foreman of the tile contractor, and ask him if he do works on the side?, he will charge you just a few more dollar for what he makes at his job, and he would make a great job, because thats what he does all day.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
David Hamer
  • Real Estate Investor
  • pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • pittsburgh, PA
Replied Apr 11 2015, 21:18

DIY. Take some time to learn the process. Watch youtube videos. Start in a smaller room so that you can see what its going to take. Good Luck and have fun.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Wurster
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 11 2015, 21:31

You must do it. You will learn so much. You will be able to tell what is good and bad on the future. You do not have to do the full 1000 sq/ft. Just do a room or two.

If it sucks, pay someone to finish and fix your work. This is useful education to have. Look for small projects to try, and you will gain some confidence when working with contractors in the future.

User Stats

Votes
Louis Puma
  • Real Estate Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Apr 11 2015, 21:35

Maybe hire a contractor and watch them do it to gain some insight for future tile projects. To me it just seems like a pretty big job to tackle for someone who is unsure...you run the risk of messing up and setting yourself back. So I would say spend the extra money to hire the contractor, watch & learn, and start doing smaller tile jobs until you are confident enough to take on a project like this. 

User Stats

Votes
Marcia Maynard
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Apr 12 2015, 09:52

I use this rule of thumb.... What is the value of my time? How can I best apply my expertise? Do I really want to learn this trade? Will I use this skill on a regular basis, or rarely? What is my passion? If I can make more money per hour in my career job and use that money to hire someone with the expertise and the right tools, it will cost less money and less time, and I would be at less risk of injuring myself. That equates to a better return on investment.

I learned how to change the oil on my car, did it once, and realized it is not worth my time and effort. I learned how to prepare all my tax returns, and realized it is better done by a professional who can keep up with the changes in tax law. I learned how to do finish carpentry, but a professional finish carpenter can do it quicker and better than me.

Doing this to save money is usually the wrong reason. Doing it because you enjoy doing the work and feel pride in seeing the results is a better reason.

User Stats

Votes
Tanya F.
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
  • Madison, WI
Replied Apr 12 2015, 16:08

Exactly what Marcia said.

If you decide you want to learn tiling, I would recommend hanging around the John Bridge tile forums  There are many friendly folks there to answer your questions. At least as friendly as here! :-)

I like tiling. I've done a couple of projects. But 1000 sq ft is exhausting.  For a beginner, I'd suggest you start with something small like a bathroom. We did a basement and that was just a couple hundred square feet.  And I disagree with an earlier poster.  Large format tiles require an exquisitely level subfloor and quite a lot  more preparation. They'll crack easily otherwise. 

As an alternative, it's much easier to install  vinyl tile. That's doable in a much shorter time, and they won't crack if you don't have a perfect subfloor. The new "luxury" vinyl tiles look really quite nice. We used this vinyl tile in a recent bathroom project. It only took a short time and came out really well.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Linda Weygant
Pro Member
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Replied Apr 12 2015, 16:22

I tiled about 160 square feet.  On the one hand, I really enjoyed the work.  It was a challenge and I enjoyed working out the geometry for the cuts and the labor.  It was a nice change from driving a desk all day.  But I was also never so glad to have a project finished.  It is backbreaking work.  

If you do it yourself, remember - baseboards hide mistakes.  :-)