Votes
JJ J.
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Bookkeeping & Accounting Software

JJ J.
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Feb 19 2015, 08:18
Does anyone have a recommendation for good accounting software for bookkeeping, etc. for rental properties? Preferably something that can download transactions from bank accounts. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Leon
  • Realtor
  • Schaumburg, IL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Schaumburg, IL
Replied Feb 19 2015, 08:32

Jj J. Hello. How many properties you own or are accounting for? What experience do you have with this to begin with? How hands on do you want to be - or, do you just want the automatic fill-in book keeping?

If manageable amount - I don't see why you couldn't track via Mint and keep up with expenses weekly. Then, monthly use excel to create a mini balance sheet or PNL spreadsheet.

More than a hand full of properties - quick books is always a good option - I believe there is a real estate version out there

This is by no means perfect and it's just my suggestion. I like accounting but by no means am I an accounting nerd. I do what I'm comfy with - I am sure someone will have a better recommendation.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Feb 19 2015, 08:40

I use RentecDirect. I have been pretty satisfied with it.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
JJ J.
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Feb 19 2015, 08:47

I majored in accounting so I'm comfortable with most things, but want to have something that inputs are automatic and I can simply tag incomes and expenses, run depreciation, etc.

We have three SFR now, looking to add more SFR and multifamily

Thanks for suggestions thus far

User Stats

Votes
Gita Faust
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Richboro - Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Richboro - Philadelphia, PA
Replied Feb 19 2015, 11:27

Ji J, 

Automation is good and bad, depending on what you are looking to accomplish. Do you want to be able to analysis your income and spending? If so automation is not the way to go.

I would suggest QuickBooks reasonable and easy to use at the same time all software has a learning curve. Make sure use use it as a property management and accounting software. So you can eliminate any third party management software.

Free software is good, but would you trust that company with all your data, hmmmm let us see, purchase price; account numbers of bank, credit card, loan; bank balances; where you are spending money and how much? Think about it. 

User Stats

Votes
Bryan N.
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hampton Roads, VA
Replied Feb 19 2015, 15:47

I use the free side of rentec.  I like it.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Jiang
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 19 2015, 16:10

Doesn't do everything you want, but this file I made is a good start if you're already familiar with accounting principals.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/SpiralLoxodrome/file/rental-property-accounting-spreadsheet