• Denver, CO
Votes |
Hoarder House before and after

Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Posted Feb 16 2015, 08:54

Easily the worst house I've ever been in.... I could only stand inside literally 5 seconds before running out. I couldnt get true before pics because I couldnt handle being inside, throat burned, eyes puffed up and turned red, I nearly burned my shoes after exiting. The mask helped but the real MVPs were the crew who worked on this for 8 weeks to trash out, gut then refinish it. I'm sure they are traumatized. 2 dead cats and 9 dumpsters later, we got it demo'd and then 25 gallons of Kilz Max sprayed on every surface.

Buy $110k
Fix $65k
ARV $220k

To go back in time, I would have postponed the foreclosure instead of rushing to close beforehand, then had some very ample support to get a short sale down to $60k or less. But, the homeowner was mentally distressed from living there for 40 years, and I dont think she could have cooperated with the short sale process. So, we didnt have much of a choice unfortunately. This was a preforeclosure door knocking lead we locked up on the 2nd meeting.

User Stats

Votes
Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 18 2015, 09:39
Originally posted by @Lee L.:

@Anson Young Did you buy this with no contingencies? I was looking at a hoarder house in L.A. a few months ago. But there was so much trash that it would have been impossible to do inspections. 

We did enough inspections up front to be OK with the purchase.  We did find a few surprises, but nothing too crazy.  She left everything there, so it had the potential to hide some major issues.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 18 2015, 10:50

Great work Anson. How much did you budget for demo and cleanout, and did you stay within your budget? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 18 2015, 10:59

@Account Closed - Demo and cleanout was $5500 - we did stay within budget on these items, but labor overall went over by 3 weeks.