Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rys F.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
LVP bulk/wholesale Illinois

Rys F.
  • Chicago, IL
Posted

Anyone able to recommend a great supplier for about 1000 sq ft of a thick, waterproof LVP? Can Lowe's be beat?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied

Hey @Rys F. - We can buy directly from MSI and their prices are very inexpensive, since you are buying it wholesale.  I don't think you even need to be a general contractor or subcontractor to set up an account there.

They have a cool warehouse Northwest of Chicago.

Otherwise, Home Depot's Lifeproof floor is pretty nice too, but not sure how it compares in pricing to what you saw.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied
Quote from @Rys F.:

Anyone able to recommend a great supplier for about 1000 sq ft of a thick, waterproof LVP? Can Lowe's be beat?

I would have a contractor price out the flooring, a lot of times they have discounts at wholesaling floor companies that you can get a better price with..

The McKernan Group Logo
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Rys F.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

Thanks @Jonathan Klemm. Tried to go wholesale with doors and that didn't work but this will.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied

1000 sq ft isnt anywhere close to Bulk . Thats a small to medium job .  

User Stats

Votes
Replied

We own a flooring business, and I can tell you that the majority of the time your local mom and pop store will be cheaper than the big box stores. Better quality product, better installation, and making relationships is invaluable if you plan to scale.

User Stats

Votes
Rys F.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied
Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

Hey @Rys F. - We can buy directly from MSI and their prices are very inexpensive, since you are buying it wholesale.  I don't think you even need to be a general contractor or subcontractor to set up an account there.

They have a cool warehouse Northwest of Chicago.

Otherwise, Home Depot's Lifeproof floor is pretty nice too, but not sure how it compares in pricing to what you saw.

Thanks. Do you have a rep you recommend there?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied

Hey @Rys F. - We don't have a "Rep" at MSI Chicago because they are so big and just do everything online - at least from our experience.  

Here is there website: https://www.msisurfaces.com/chicago-countertop-showroom-dist...

If you have a business, you can set up an account. You won't find any of their products cheaper than at the warehouse—unless it's on clearance or something at a big box, but even then, it's unlikely to be done. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied

Also @Rys F. - what did you mean when you said "tried to go wholesale with doors and that didn't work"?

Can you explain what happened and why?

User Stats

Votes
Rys F.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

Thanks @Jonathan Klemm, it's been a few weeks and as sole proprietor/GC, haven't been able to get an account with MSI yet though the intake rep said it would be possible w/o a business. Went in person, was told, "we don't have a price list," but did take down the prices they have stuck on a piece of paper on the bottom of a computer screen, which were different (lower than) from the prices on a written quote from a sheet a floor rep provided. Simply trying to beat big box/Costco pricing and their retail prices aren't less. Was also looking for countertops; the stores near MSI appear to also deal MSI so it's probably just best to go to MSI . . . that is, if they'll give access to corporate pricing. 

As for doors, we learned the manufacturers sell to distributors for pre-hung frame manufacture. Can't just call Jeld-Wen or Masonite up. At any rate, turns out our framer uses Menard's doors all the time and was able to install those despite the plans calling for custom-sized doors. For a special outswing patio door, was able to order on a Friday night at Menard's and the door was ready Wednesday.

#budgetreno

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Contractors
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied

Sorry to hear about the trouble with MSI @Rys F. you may need to wait until you have an established business entity because I know they can't sell directly to the public.

To hear about the resourcefulness with the doors is awesome! #budgetreno works!

For future reference, try using Door Depot or Magnolia Windows and Doors; both are great Chicago vendors that we have used in the past.