Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ross Hayes
Votes |
Fix & Flip Analysis Fundamentals

Ross Hayes
Posted

Hello

We've had great success on our two SFH long term rental properties, and one of the parts that I really enjoy in this endeavor has been the deal analysis. I've enjoyed creating and tweaking our own analysis tool to help us analyze deals.

I don't think we are interested in pursuing flips, but I'm curious to better understand the analysis side of this strategy to continue my learning.

I've tried to do some research, but I keep coming up with some areas that I'm not following.  Can you help?

I understand that the most basic formula is ARV - purchase price - rehab = profit. I'm comfortable with all of those, but I know that there is so much more than goes into your return than just those three main levers.

Specifically, I'm getting hung up on 1) financing, 2) closing costs on both ends, and 3) holding costs.

- For any part of the project that you finance, whether it be purchase, the rebab, or both, do you simply look at the monthly loan payment for that leverage and multiply that monthly debt service payment by the number of months you expect to hold the property?

-  If so, then that total (for example...monthly debt service is $2,000 and you underwrite at holding for 6 months, then you factor in that you have a total of $12,000 cash that you will be putting into the deal over that 6 month holding period) counts towards your "costs" or "cash into the deal" that you need to factor in, correct?

- Is there a general estimate proxy that you use for factoring in closing costs for the purchase and sale of the property?

- Is there a general estimate proxy that you se for factoring in any closing costs with the lender for the financing, assuming it is not an all cash project?

Coming from the buy and hold side of investing, I'm very focused on cash flow, cash on cash, and then looking at the other ways that I value a deal (appreciation, principal paydown, etc.). But as I think about a fix and flip, beyond just swagging an ARV minus your purchase price and minus the rehab budget, I know that there is so much more to the equation to understand a true return, especially as it relates to putting your own cash into the deal.

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...