Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kieran Dowling
Votes |
sewer disconnected from lateral

Kieran Dowling
Posted

I am trying to decide if i want to move forward with this house? It is a complete fixer upper. The current plumbing stack iis not connected to the man line.(see photos)

There is a floor drain on the other side of the 2x6 wall(about 10 feet). so i would just need to tie it into this

I am budgeting 20K for a brand new plumbing system for the whole house already since there is not anything in the house currently.

The basement floor is already ripped out and down to dirt. it looks like btw 2011-214 there were sewer repairs to the main and connecting to the house. (see photos)

would this be worth buying or would you pass?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Kieran Dowling:

I am trying to decide if i want to move forward with this house? It is a complete fixer upper. The current plumbing stack iis not connected to the man line.(see photos)

There is a floor drain on the other side of the 2x6 wall(about 10 feet). so i would just need to tie it into this

I am budgeting 20K for a brand new plumbing system for the whole house already since there is not anything in the house currently.

The basement floor is already ripped out and down to dirt. it looks like btw 2011-214 there were sewer repairs to the main and connecting to the house. (see photos)

would this be worth buying or would you pass?

Depends on whether or not you can make money on it. If it was a $500k home that needed $150k repairs and would be worth $800k-900k ok makes sense, if its a $30k home needing $100k in repairs to be worth $150k then absolutely not.

One thing to point out, who did the framing in that basement?  Either that wall is taking on a load and the studs are bowed or they installed them to long and bowed them in place. Either way its an awful job.

User Stats

Votes
Kieran Dowling
Votes |
Replied

@Chris Seveney

They did not support the wall correctly and i am going to get basement jacks as well as hire a structural engineer to asses and tell me the long term solution.

As far as the sewer line repair,  comps are around 250K,  I am purcashing the house for 85K, i have budgeted 135K so far(without this repair)  I  have a total of 150K renovation budget.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Kieran Dowling:

@Chris Seveney

They did not support the wall correctly and i am going to get basement jacks as well as hire a structural engineer to asses and tell me the long term solution.

As far as the sewer line repair,  comps are around 250K,  I am purcashing the house for 85K, i have budgeted 135K so far(without this repair)  I  have a total of 150K renovation budget.

this is not a deal at all

User Stats

Votes
Replied

$135k (plus the plumbing fix) is too much to spend in a $250k neighborhood no matter how cheap you get the house. If you can't trim that to $80k or so forget it.

But, in general, the bigger the problem the bigger the opportunity. The pool boy can throw a few countertops on, fix the floors, paint the bedroom and flip the price up. That waste line is your friend. It will keep 90% of potential buyers out of the game.  It will never be approved for financing until it is fixed or financed under one of those programs that includes fix up expense.

If the property can be respectably sold for $250 you have to be all in at around $200 including the commission and carry cost. Get a plumber in there to get you an estimate to solve the problem. Then be sure the seller knows that you know how bad the problem is but do not share your numbers. Make a lower offer that reflects more than the additional cost of that problem. Everyone else faces the same problem. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied

depends if its in the budget 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac#4 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Scott Mac#4 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

What's upstairs that's bowing those studs out like that?

Elephants?

Also look into if you're going to have to bring the whole house up to code if you do this, I mean electricity and insulation, and everything else that they require in brand new homes.

Good Luck!