Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Owen
Votes |
Newbie question: Do Driving for Dollars and Conventional Loans mix?

Andrew Owen
Posted

Hi All, maybe a dumb question: Looking at a potential flip and wondering if anyone combines driving for dollars/off-market with conventional loans? All the book examples out there seem to only point to making cash offers on deals found this way.

I realize that if it's too distressed, a bank won't lend on it and other financing will be necessary (hard money, partnership, private lenders, etc). But hypothetically, let's say it's not distressed and I want to go conventional. What's the best course of action here? Lock the seller up on a contract and then take it to a bank? 

Appreciate any tips; thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Bob P.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Owen:

Hi All, maybe a dumb question: Looking at a potential flip and wondering if anyone combines driving for dollars/off-market with conventional loans? All the book examples out there seem to only point to making cash offers on deals found this way.

I realize that if it's too distressed, a bank won't lend on it and other financing will be necessary (hard money, partnership, private lenders, etc). But hypothetically, let's say it's not distressed and I want to go conventional. What's the best course of action here? Lock the seller up on a contract and then take it to a bank? 

Appreciate any tips; thanks in advance!

There is no problem buying off market and getting financing. That is all that I do.

You have a purchase and sale agreement with the seller, negotiate price, submit it to an escrow company and they do all of the work. Talk to a local mortgage broker about what their requirements are. They are more flexible than a bank.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Owen
Votes |
Replied

Thanks Bob!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied

Is this for investment ? 

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Replied

Usually, the best deals need the most work. The deals that need the most work won't be approved for conventional financing. You can absolutely purchase off market properties and get conventional financing if it's eligible. Most investors driving for dollars target deferred maintained properties though.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied

@Andrew Owen, if you are going to put the effort into bird dogging deals like that you want to have the tools in your back pocket to take down any opportunities you find!

Many houses with obvious distress are not going to qualify for conventional financing. So, if they are not in your "buy box", you want to find another strategy to capitalize on them. I'm a real estate agent, so I could list them. You might wholesale them, or refer them to a wholesaler for a cut of the deal if it closes.