Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Chase Preston
Votes |
(Ideas needed) : flipping first house. Options for upstairs bathroom???

Chase Preston
Posted

Above is picture from original listing purchase. Our plan is to add a shower. The issue is the plumbing running from the center floor connecting to the old bathtub. We also are considering closing off the brown door in the picture (access to the attic) and creating access elsewhere. 

Any suggestions? Can take more picture of current status if need be. Doing a complete new renovation of this room.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied

I would do a shower with glass rather than tub 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Personal Finance Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Personal Finance Contributor
Replied

Where are you planning on putting the shower-in the corner where the tub is?  You shouldn't have to move the plumbing that much.  See which way the joists run and hopefully they run parrael to the length of the tub.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Replied

Hard to tell from the photo posted. Would need dimensions and more angles for an input. Closing that door would open up more possibilities. Could you fit shower on back wall, toilet where door is, then sink closest to you? 

User Stats

Votes
Chase Preston
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Bill J Fay:

Hard to tell from the photo posted. Would need dimensions and more angles for an input. Closing that door would open up more possibilities. Could you fit shower on back wall, toilet where door is, then sink closest to you? 

Will get dimensions and more pictures soon. Any idea how hard installing a ceiling attic access is? We plan on doing a glass shower somehow

User Stats

Votes
Livia Adams
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Miami
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Miami
Replied

Great post! Is this the master bath? I would try to keep the tub, because it always add a luxurious feel. Id love to see more pictures!

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied

@Chase Preston, is this the only full bathroom in the house? If so, keep tub.  Every parent of small kids will want a tub.  If this is a master, and there is another hall bath for kids, I would only keep the tub if there is room for a good sized shower, double vanity, toilet AND separate soaking tub, which it does not appear there is.  I would agree with Livia that a tub is more luxurious, but not at the expense of a great walk-in shower, large double vanity, stand alone water closet, etc.

How much is your budget?

And if you close the attic access door, are you able to add another without reworking the stairs, which can get very expensive quickly.