Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kwame Locks
Votes |
New and willing to work

Kwame Locks
Posted Jun 18 2024, 10:03

Good afternoon! I am a licensed realtor here in the Central Florida area. I originally got into real estate for the investing aspect of it. I am looking to take that step and start to gain experience. 

User Stats

Votes
John O'Leary
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Replied Jun 18 2024, 10:45

Hey Kwame,

I'm in Orlando. What are you specifically looking to do/learn? 

User Stats

Votes
Kwame Locks
Votes |
Replied Jun 18 2024, 10:53
Quote from @John O'Leary:

Hey Kwame,

I'm in Orlando. What are you specifically looking to do/learn? 

I am looking to get started flipping houses. I currently don't have the resources to make any investments just yet, so possibly a mentor or someone willing to teach me some of the skills needed. I have listened to a few podcast and watched some videos. Just looking for some hands on/in person experience

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 18 2024, 11:46

hey @Kwame Locks - welcome aboard to BP! 

If I'm in your shoes (which I was a few years ago) I would recommend attending at least 1-2 real estate meetups a month to start putting yourself out there and networking with other players in your market. 

This will give you an edge over other new entrants because you'll start to learn things just through having convos with folks

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 18 2024, 15:04

The facebook groups are an amazing place for networking with wholesalers etc 

User Stats

Votes
Chad Shultz
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • East Central Florida
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • East Central Florida
Replied Jun 18 2024, 17:20

Hey Kwame,

Get out there and network in person at a group or meet up. Facebook and all these online or social media based groups can only get you so far. Central Florida Real Estate Investor's Association is the largest non-profit REIA group in the country. Come visit us second Tuesday of the month in Orlando. CFRI.net I guarantee you will find people doing what you want and you can start a journey.

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver
Replied Jun 19 2024, 12:36

Consistently show up to the same networking meet ups and events. This will open up doors and expose you to different real estate transactions that go on in your market. BP is a great place to start as well.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Grenzig
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jun 20 2024, 07:29

@Kwame Locks in addition to the advice of going to meetups, here's one strategy I think that would help you find someone to mentor you.

As you go to the meetups meet as many people as you can, try and find more about their business so you have a rough idea of what they do and focus on, but more importantly try and ask them what problems they currently have or what they're struggling with. 

Now most flippers will say deals or money, so see if there's anything beyond that. Maybe they wish they were doing more social media, maybe they wish someone would help with their calendar/inbox, maybe someone wants to start their own meetup, maybe they need help paying invoices and bills, maybe it's they need someone to drive them around so they can work instead of driving. 

Then, find the 2-4 people you resonate with the most and make them specific proposals. Something like I want to learn from you about X, and I can help you in return by doing helping find deals, Y & Z. Make X, Y & Z specific to that person.

It takes a lot more time, and more thought, but if you do that I would almost guarantee you'd find someone in a couple of months. 

User Stats

Votes
Adrian Lammersdorf-Scioll
  • Realtor
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Florida
Replied Jun 25 2024, 08:51

I would recommend also finding a brokerage that has agents doing flips for their clients and doing all the work you can to help that certain agent so you can watch what they do and learn, but also give value to them.  Ex: offer to put up their open house signs, offer to door knock for them or cold call expired/withdrawn listings.  

Attending meet ups is another great option as well, I've met a few money partners through meet ups.  When you go to the meet up just make sure your asking the right questions, such as what you are looking for exactly (money partner, deals, contractors).

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Salvi
  • Lender
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Florida
Replied Jul 24 2024, 09:37

My name is Caleb Salvi, I fell in love with real estate from a young age and I am passionate about sharing all that I have learned with others. I started as an agent while I was in the Army National guard and specialized in working with the veteran community. After graduating college with a degree in both marketing and finance I transitioned to the lending side of the real estate industry. When I started as a lender my focus was on being of service to the veteran community as much as possible. I have helped countless veteran families and I will always have a special place in my heart for my vets. As I matured in my career I have expanded my lender network and product line with the goal of carrying a very wide variety mortgage products at the best rates. I currently have a lender network of over 400 lenders. This gives me the unique capability to find solutions to almost any real estate transaction and offer the best rates on the market. I look forward to helping you on your real estate journey. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 14 2024, 07:09

Hey Kwame, 

Welcome to the bigger pockets community. There are a lot of resources here at your disposal. 

It’s great to hear that you’re ready to take the next step in your real estate investing journey. As a hard money lender, I specialize in providing fast and flexible financing solutions tailored for investors like you, especially when you’re looking to move quickly on a promising deal.

Whether you're interested in fix-and-flip projects, rental property acquisitions, or other investment opportunities, I can help you secure the funds you need without the lengthy approval processes typical of traditional loans. My goal is to support your growth as an investor by offering competitive terms and a streamlined process so you can focus on what you do best—making smart real estate investments.

If you have a project in mind or just want to discuss your options, feel free to reach out. I’m here to help you get started and gain that valuable experience in the Central Florida market.