Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

New at fix and flipping

Lara Di Girolamo
Posted

Hi there, I'm considering starting my fix and flip business with a first property in Tampa. How is the market currently? Is there anyone operating in the area who can tell me if it's a good time to buy? Thank you! :)

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Valencia
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied

Hi Lara, 

Its always a great time to buy. There's nothing like the present. When it comes to fix and flips the uglier the house the better. The key is to make sure you purchase your the home at the lowest cost and know what your after repair value will be to see if you will actually be able to make a nice margin after netting all cost. Make sure you underwrite your deal to what makes business sense to you. Also have your team ready in regards to whos going to rehab the property. Make sure to move fast as well because on these projects time is of the essence because the longer you hold the property the more money you lose every month. Lastly expect to pay 2-3 points in cost for a hard money loan and rates to be 12-14% for first time investor. Good luck on your first project. 

@Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied

I would connect with a realtor and have them do a market analysis for you

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Lisandro Maldonado
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Davenport, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Davenport, FL
Replied

Hey @Lara Di Girolamo! As a first-time flip, I suggest we talk a little more deeply as to what considerations you plan on doing and your overall goals in flipping homes in that area. I work specifically more near the Osceola County (Kissimmee) area. My MLS spans all throughout Tampa and mostly all of Central Florida and can give you some Comparable Market Analyses near that area to help you with this journey. Don't hesitate to inbox me a message!

User Stats

Votes
Lara Di Girolamo
Replied

check dm!

User Stats

Votes
John Schmitt
  • Investor
  • Williston, ND
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Williston, ND
Replied

I'm looking to enter the Tampa market as well, but as a wholesaler. Would love to connect. 

User Stats

Votes
Alacia Mahnken
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied
Quote from @Lara Di Girolamo:

Hi there, I'm considering starting my fix and flip business with a first property in Tampa. How is the market currently? Is there anyone operating in the area who can tell me if it's a good time to buy? Thank you! :)

The hardest part about flipping in Tampa is the higher cost to enter the game here. Do you have your team in place?  $ or lender, real estate agent, GC, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Lara Di Girolamo
Replied
Quote from @John Schmitt:

I'm looking to enter the Tampa market as well, but as a wholesaler. Would love to connect. 

check dm

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hey Lara, 

Starting your fix-and-flip business in Tampa is an exciting move. As a hard money lender operating in the Central Florida area, including Tampa, I can tell you that the market here remains strong, with plenty of opportunities for savvy investors.

Tampa's real estate market has been quite active, with demand still high, especially in desirable neighborhoods. While inventory can be tight, well-priced properties that are updated or renovated continue to attract buyers quickly. If you’re considering jumping in, it’s a good time to buy, especially if you can find a property with solid potential for value-add improvements.

If you’d like to discuss financing options or need insights on specific areas in Tampa, feel free to reach out. I’m here to help you navigate your first project and make sure you’re set up for success

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Vazquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

The Tampa market is currently strong, with a good demand for fix and flip opportunities. However, it's worth noting that we have two clients with active flips that have been on the market for longer than a month. It's always a good idea to connect with local investors or real estate professionals who are active in the area to get firsthand insights. Timing can be crucial, so getting advice from those with experience in Tampa can be beneficial. Good luck with your business venture!

• Broker Florida (#SL3334101)

Graystone Investment Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Cam Schwartz
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

Hi @Lara Di Girolamo, we've funded deals in South FL and have clients who have completed flips in Tampa. To my understanding, there has been a surplus of inventory hitting the market as of late, making for a strong buyer's market. Anecdotally, one investor in our network has had to cut price multiple times on two of their currently listed flips in Tampa given the amount of properties on the market. Something to keep in mind as you're estimating project duration and ARV.

User Stats

Votes
Rapy Narruhn
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied

How's it going so far? Did you end up flipping your first property? @Lara Di Girolamo

User Stats

Votes
Jackson Harris
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Phoenix AZ, USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Phoenix AZ, USA
Replied

Hey Lara just PM'd you, my partner and I work in the Phoenix market. Happy to offer some guidance!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Keyona Taylor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Wyoming
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Wyoming
Replied
Quote from @Lara Di Girolamo:

Hi Lara,
Starting a fix and flip business in Tampa sounds like an exciting venture! To get a clearer picture of the current market conditions, here are a few things you might consider:
Market Research.
 Check recent real estate trends in Tampa, including property values, demand, and average time on the market. Websites like Zillow, Redfin, or Realtor.com can provide useful data.
Local Real Estate Agents.
 Connecting with local agents who specialize in investment properties can offer valuable insights into the market's current state and potential opportunities.
Networking with Local Investors. Engaging with local real estate investment groups or forums can give you a sense of the local market dynamics and provide first-hand experiences from others who are active in the area.
Economic Indicators.
 Look into Tampa’s overall economic health, job growth, and any upcoming developments that could impact property values.

If you're also in need of fund for your fix and flip venture, let's connect. I'll be happy to assist

User Stats

Votes
Jaren Licalzi
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa
Replied

Its a tight market for sure but theres many good opportunities on a daily basis, hopefully you found something that fits your buying criteria in the time frame that this was posted.

User Stats

Votes
Drago Stanimirovic#4 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Drago Stanimirovic#4 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Replied

Hi Lara!

Tampa is definitely a hot market for real estate right now. The area has seen strong appreciation over the past few years due to increasing demand, population growth, and its appeal to both investors and homeowners. While prices have risen, there are still good opportunities for fix-and-flip projects if you can find properties at a discount or in need of renovations.

That said, market conditions can shift quickly, and Tampa has become more competitive. You’ll want to carefully assess property values, renovation costs, and potential resale value to ensure the margins work in your favor. Partnering with a local real estate agent or connecting with other investors in the area can also help you get a better feel for specific neighborhoods and emerging opportunities.

If you need help with financing options for your project or want to discuss strategy, feel free to reach out. Good luck with your fix and flip journey!

Best regards,
Drago