Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jay Martin
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Eugene, Or
Votes |
First Time Fix & Flip Partnership/Personal Loan Questions

Jay Martin
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Eugene, Or
Posted

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum after having learned of Bigger Pockets a few weeks ago through the Real Estate podcast.

My wife and I are interested in doing our first ever fix & flip in the Eugene, OR area with very little capital to spare. I am a residential remodeling contractor by trade with a solid understanding of the rehab process and a network of laborers and subcontractors that I can rely on, and thus plan on managing this first rehab myself.

We do not have enough capital for a significant down payment OR construction costs and so we are considering asking family members for a personal loan OR proposing a partnership. My thought was that we would ask for the money for down payment in the form of a “gift”, and then do all of the work of finding and purchasing the right property, budgeting and managing all of the renovations (and doing most of the labor ourselves), and selling in the span of 4-6 months. 

I have several questions to answer before writing a proposal and would greatly appreciate any advice whether broad or specific:

-What are the advantages of a partnership with a pre-determined percentage of profits shared VS a personal loan with a fixed interest rate?

-What percent profit or interest on a personal loan should I propose to my family members to begin negotiations? What would YOU want to see as an investor from a family member asking for help in this way?

-Would it be better to ask for the down payment loan and construction loan from the same party, or are there any advantages to seeking loans for renovation costs elsewhere, such as HMLs or even credit cards?

I would love any other advice even if not directly related to my questions.

Thank you!!!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Thanks for this question! I have the same question how to do this.