Advice needed to prevent trespassers during rehab and interruptions

Advice needed to prevent trespassers during rehab and interruptions

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

I have a unique situation where I have a property (SFR) that I am in the middle of rehabbing, and got called away on a family emergency overseas and need to be away for a while (probably till May 2023) before I can get back to working on it. Meanwhile the property is locked up.

The property has been vacant for a bit after the bank foreclosed on it, so the neighbors all know it's vacant.

While rehabbing I started talking to the neighbors and had their contact information to contact me in case of emergency.

I was told that for over a week now a vehicle would come and park on my driveway.  This is not a case of someone parked there and leave the car.  There are several people in the car, they come and stay inside the car and sleep in the car overnight, then drive away in the morning.  So far one neighbor told me they did that 5 nights in a row.  They always throw trash out and leave a mess and another neighbor would go over and clean up the trash.  The neighbors are not comfortable with going over to ask them to leave because there are multiple adults in the car.

What would be the best way to navigate this issue to stop it from getting worse...they may try breaking in and turn into squatters next.

If I was there I could call the police...but I am not.  My guess is even if the police get involved it is not a one off thing, they may leave and come back two days later.

Would appreciate ideas...are there security patrol I can pay for that can say make ten trips over ten evenings to get rid of them, if they get told to leave multiple times it may deter them from coming back?

I already have signs at the property - NO PARKING signs, THIS PROPERTY IS UNDER 24 HOUR SURVEILLANCE signs, BEWARE OF BAD DOGS signs, so those are not doing anything.

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
3y
Quote from @Sam Leon:

I have a unique situation where I have a property (SFR) that I am in the middle of rehabbing, and got called away on a family emergency overseas and need to be away for a while (probably till May 2023) before I can get back to working on it. Meanwhile the property is locked up.

The property has been vacant for a bit after the bank foreclosed on it, so the neighbors all know it's vacant.

While rehabbing I started talking to the neighbors and had their contact information to contact me in case of emergency.

I was told that for over a week now a vehicle would come and park on my driveway.  This is not a case of someone parked there and leave the car.  There are several people in the car, they come and stay inside the car and sleep in the car overnight, then drive away in the morning.  So far one neighbor told me they did that 5 nights in a row.  They always throw trash out and leave a mess and another neighbor would go over and clean up the trash.  The neighbors are not comfortable with going over to ask them to leave because there are multiple adults in the car.

What would be the best way to navigate this issue to stop it from getting worse...they may try breaking in and turn into squatters next.

If I was there I could call the police...but I am not.  My guess is even if the police get involved it is not a one off thing, they may leave and come back two days later.

Would appreciate ideas...are there security patrol I can pay for that can say make ten trips over ten evenings to get rid of them, if they get told to leave multiple times it may deter them from coming back?

I already have signs at the property - NO PARKING signs, THIS PROPERTY IS UNDER 24 HOUR SURVEILLANCE signs, BEWARE OF BAD DOGS signs, so those are not doing anything.


 My understanding is that you can also typically call the non-emergency police line, and request a patrol car to visit that area at night to check it out. I've heard of many people asking the police to patrol a vacant house area while they are away, and my firm has even asked police to do it for us when we had a vacant house listed that got broken into. They were out there the next night. This could be an option for you to get some security out there in the form of police rather than relying on your neighbors or hiring security. 

You can even call police and request patrols in your neighborhood if you simply see people performing moving infractions. A no trespass sign, and police patrols should help deter issues with drive-way sleepers. 

Also you could expressly give your neighbors (any that you really trust, probably the one who is cleaning the trash up for you) permission to call the police when this occurs for you. You can always give anonymous tips! 

Hope this may help!

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Leon:

    I have a unique situation where I have a property (SFR) that I am in the middle of rehabbing, and got called away on a family emergency overseas and need to be away for a while (probably till May 2023) before I can get back to working on it. Meanwhile the property is locked up.

    The property has been vacant for a bit after the bank foreclosed on it, so the neighbors all know it's vacant.

    While rehabbing I started talking to the neighbors and had their contact information to contact me in case of emergency.

    I was told that for over a week now a vehicle would come and park on my driveway.  This is not a case of someone parked there and leave the car.  There are several people in the car, they come and stay inside the car and sleep in the car overnight, then drive away in the morning.  So far one neighbor told me they did that 5 nights in a row.  They always throw trash out and leave a mess and another neighbor would go over and clean up the trash.  The neighbors are not comfortable with going over to ask them to leave because there are multiple adults in the car.

    What would be the best way to navigate this issue to stop it from getting worse...they may try breaking in and turn into squatters next.

    If I was there I could call the police...but I am not.  My guess is even if the police get involved it is not a one off thing, they may leave and come back two days later.

    Would appreciate ideas...are there security patrol I can pay for that can say make ten trips over ten evenings to get rid of them, if they get told to leave multiple times it may deter them from coming back?

    I already have signs at the property - NO PARKING signs, THIS PROPERTY IS UNDER 24 HOUR SURVEILLANCE signs, BEWARE OF BAD DOGS signs, so those are not doing anything.

    Locally, I had to post a No Trespassing sign before he police could do nything. Find out if that is true in your jurisdiction.
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Why haven't you called the police? Chances are they are crackheads and need fear instilled in them, they are scared of cops. Add resistance, no trespassing signs, if this is consistent have someone out there to kick them off the property. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Leon:

    I have a unique situation where I have a property (SFR) that I am in the middle of rehabbing, and got called away on a family emergency overseas and need to be away for a while (probably till May 2023) before I can get back to working on it. Meanwhile the property is locked up.

    The property has been vacant for a bit after the bank foreclosed on it, so the neighbors all know it's vacant.

    While rehabbing I started talking to the neighbors and had their contact information to contact me in case of emergency.

    I was told that for over a week now a vehicle would come and park on my driveway.  This is not a case of someone parked there and leave the car.  There are several people in the car, they come and stay inside the car and sleep in the car overnight, then drive away in the morning.  So far one neighbor told me they did that 5 nights in a row.  They always throw trash out and leave a mess and another neighbor would go over and clean up the trash.  The neighbors are not comfortable with going over to ask them to leave because there are multiple adults in the car.

    What would be the best way to navigate this issue to stop it from getting worse...they may try breaking in and turn into squatters next.

    If I was there I could call the police...but I am not.  My guess is even if the police get involved it is not a one off thing, they may leave and come back two days later.

    Would appreciate ideas...are there security patrol I can pay for that can say make ten trips over ten evenings to get rid of them, if they get told to leave multiple times it may deter them from coming back?

    I already have signs at the property - NO PARKING signs, THIS PROPERTY IS UNDER 24 HOUR SURVEILLANCE signs, BEWARE OF BAD DOGS signs, so those are not doing anything.


     My understanding is that you can also typically call the non-emergency police line, and request a patrol car to visit that area at night to check it out. I've heard of many people asking the police to patrol a vacant house area while they are away, and my firm has even asked police to do it for us when we had a vacant house listed that got broken into. They were out there the next night. This could be an option for you to get some security out there in the form of police rather than relying on your neighbors or hiring security. 

    You can even call police and request patrols in your neighborhood if you simply see people performing moving infractions. A no trespass sign, and police patrols should help deter issues with drive-way sleepers. 

    Also you could expressly give your neighbors (any that you really trust, probably the one who is cleaning the trash up for you) permission to call the police when this occurs for you. You can always give anonymous tips! 

    Hope this may help!

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    3y

    OK may be I do not understand how calling the police works.  I was under the impression that when you call the police to report a situation (burglary, trespassing, theft whatever), you need to be physically present to meet them when they come by later to show them the problem and they will take down your information in the police report.  I cannot just call and say there is a car parked in my driveway please go check it out right?  Or can I?  Note that I am overseas so I will be calling them long distance and they most likely won't be able to call me back.

    I have given the neighbors a green light to call the police but they are reluctant to do so because they do not want to get involved because they do not want the occupants of the car to know who tipped the police off for fear that they may come back later to retaliate.  Again, I am assuming if as a neighbor if you call and said someone is parked in a driveway at a house across from me, the police will ask you for your information, and when they come out to check on it, they may go to up to the neighbors house, knock and ask "mam are you so and so and did you call us to report on a car parked across there and can you point out to me which car it is before we approach?"

  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Leon:

    OK may be I do not understand how calling the police works.  I was under the impression that when you call the police to report a situation (burglary, trespassing, theft whatever), you need to be physically present to meet them when they come by later to show them the problem and they will take down your information in the police report.  I cannot just call and say there is a car parked in my driveway please go check it out right?  Or can I?  Note that I am overseas so I will be calling them long distance and they most likely won't be able to call me back.

    I have given the neighbors a green light to call the police but they are reluctant to do so because they do not want to get involved because they do not want the occupants of the car to know who tipped the police off for fear that they may come back later to retaliate.  Again, I am assuming if as a neighbor if you call and said someone is parked in a driveway at a house across from me, the police will ask you for your information, and when they come out to check on it, they may go to up to the neighbors house, knock and ask "mam are you so and so and did you call us to report on a car parked across there and can you point out to me which car it is before we approach?"

    I have personally called the police, and witnessed others calling the police, especially about public disturbances and no report was needed to be filed. A request for a patrol is not the same as calling in regards to filing a report for a crime committed. A patrol is going to drive through, look for suspicious activity and do their jobs to deter it, and handle issues in an area, just the same as if they were driving down your road randomly and you got pulled over speeding. It's just asking them to be cognizant of the area, and make sure to come by and check it. 

    If you called and said three guys just broke into my house, and you met a cop out there to file a report of the crime committed- that's totally different. If your neighbors were to call they can quite literally say they wish it to be an anonymous tip. The cops I personally know have never mentioned being mad someone gave them a tip and didn't introduce themselves haha. 



    Q. I'm going on vacation. Will the police watch my house?A. Yes. If you are a resident of Fort Lauderdale, all you have to do is call us at 828-5700. Tell the call-taker your address and ask to speak to the patrol supervisor that is responsible for your area. The supervisor will prepare a Zone Alert and the information will be given to the patrol officers that patrol your neighborhood. Be prepared to tell the supervisor who will have your keys (if anyone) and who to contact in the event of an emergency.

    https://www.flpd.org/frequentl...

    Check out Fort Lauderdale PD's website, you can also contact them directly from there and get set-up to have a police patrol.
  • Real Estate Agent · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 213 posts · 293 votes
    3y

    @Sam Leon also on the FAQ

    Q. How can I keep trespassers off my property when I'm not there to do it myself?

    A. Come to the Police Department (1300 W. Browad Blvd) and fill out a No Trespass Affidavit. Once you have filled out the sworn statement, you will be given a warning sign to post on your property.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Maybe ask (pay) the neighbor to park just inside the sidewalk (block the driveway), and put some timer lights inside the house--up on the second floor.

    The economy is weakening, it might just be a homeless family sleeping in their car (until the car gets repo-ed).

    Good Luck!

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Sink posts on either side of the driveway and run a chain between with a lock.  Use the post to put up the no trespassing sign and give neighbors the key if you trust them.  This does make the house more apparently vacant though.  If you have utilities on, may also make sense to pay for internet and have some cameras set up in and outside the house.  There are some solid options for exterior cameras that you can monitor that only need an internet connection.  You can power them via solar panels, they have alarms you can trigger and you can also speak/hear through them.  Wyze is a decent option for inexpensive cameras.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I ask neighbors to park in the driveway when I rehab. And I buy fake cameras from Amazon and put them all around.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    You can certainly call the police and explain your situation, ie, "I'm out of town for an emergency and there's been observer reports of vehicles parking on the property. There should be no cars in the driveway. Please take action if you see someone parked there. Thank you."

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jared Trindade:
    Quote from @Sam Leon:

    OK may be I do not understand how calling the police works.  I was under the impression that when you call the police to report a situation (burglary, trespassing, theft whatever), you need to be physically present to meet them when they come by later to show them the problem and they will take down your information in the police report.  I cannot just call and say there is a car parked in my driveway please go check it out right?  Or can I?  Note that I am overseas so I will be calling them long distance and they most likely won't be able to call me back.

    I have given the neighbors a green light to call the police but they are reluctant to do so because they do not want to get involved because they do not want the occupants of the car to know who tipped the police off for fear that they may come back later to retaliate.  Again, I am assuming if as a neighbor if you call and said someone is parked in a driveway at a house across from me, the police will ask you for your information, and when they come out to check on it, they may go to up to the neighbors house, knock and ask "mam are you so and so and did you call us to report on a car parked across there and can you point out to me which car it is before we approach?"

    I have personally called the police, and witnessed others calling the police, especially about public disturbances and no report was needed to be filed. A request for a patrol is not the same as calling in regards to filing a report for a crime committed. A patrol is going to drive through, look for suspicious activity and do their jobs to deter it, and handle issues in an area, just the same as if they were driving down your road randomly and you got pulled over speeding. It's just asking them to be cognizant of the area, and make sure to come by and check it. 

    If you called and said three guys just broke into my house, and you met a cop out there to file a report of the crime committed- that's totally different. If your neighbors were to call they can quite literally say they wish it to be an anonymous tip. The cops I personally know have never mentioned being mad someone gave them a tip and didn't introduce themselves haha. 



    Q. I'm going on vacation. Will the police watch my house?A. Yes. If you are a resident of Fort Lauderdale, all you have to do is call us at 828-5700. Tell the call-taker your address and ask to speak to the patrol supervisor that is responsible for your area. The supervisor will prepare a Zone Alert and the information will be given to the patrol officers that patrol your neighborhood. Be prepared to tell the supervisor who will have your keys (if anyone) and who to contact in the event of an emergency.

    https://www.flpd.org/frequentl...

    Check out Fort Lauderdale PD's website, you can also contact them directly from there and get set-up to have a police patrol.

     Thank you,  I will call the PD and explain the situation and see what they suggest.  See if they can send a patrol to investigate.  May be I will get some cameras installed so I can see them there then call to alert them.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    Maybe ask (pay) the neighbor to park just inside the sidewalk (block the driveway), and put some timer lights inside the house--up on the second floor.

    The economy is weakening, it might just be a homeless family sleeping in their car (until the car gets repo-ed).

    Good Luck!


     I actually do have a neighbor park there for 3 months now because he needed an extra space, and I thought at the time it would be neighborly to have a car there (and not look like a vacant property).  However that doesn't work to deter the trespassing because my house it at the corner of a block and I have a semi circular driveway on one side, and a 20' wide driveway on the other side in front of a 2 door garage.  So even with my neighbor's car there it doesn't completely block off others from parking.

    As a matter of fact, the fact that my neighbor parking there makes it more complicated in that I cannot tell the police there should be no car parked on the driveway.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Kuznetz:

    Sink posts on either side of the driveway and run a chain between with a lock.  Use the post to put up the no trespassing sign and give neighbors the key if you trust them.  This does make the house more apparently vacant though.  If you have utilities on, may also make sense to pay for internet and have some cameras set up in and outside the house.  There are some solid options for exterior cameras that you can monitor that only need an internet connection.  You can power them via solar panels, they have alarms you can trigger and you can also speak/hear through them.  Wyze is a decent option for inexpensive cameras.

    Due to the corner lot situation and having a driveway on each side, one being semi circular, that's quite a bit of posts to sink.  My other concern as you said is it advertises the house is vacant.  I will definitely look into cameras.  I know some video door bells are battery operated so I don't have to do electrical wiring just to install them.
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Leon:
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    Maybe ask (pay) the neighbor to park just inside the sidewalk (block the driveway), and put some timer lights inside the house--up on the second floor.

    The economy is weakening, it might just be a homeless family sleeping in their car (until the car gets repo-ed).

    Good Luck!


     I actually do have a neighbor park there for 3 months now because he needed an extra space, and I thought at the time it would be neighborly to have a car there (and not look like a vacant property).  However that doesn't work to deter the trespassing because my house it at the corner of a block and I have a semi circular driveway on one side, and a 20' wide driveway on the other side in front of a 2 door garage.  So even with my neighbor's car there it doesn't completely block off others from parking.

    As a matter of fact, the fact that my neighbor parking there makes it more complicated in that I cannot tell the police there should be no car parked on the driveway.

     Car dealers in Texas use a chain and 2 posts.

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Leon:
    Quote from @Michael Kuznetz:

    Sink posts on either side of the driveway and run a chain between with a lock.  Use the post to put up the no trespassing sign and give neighbors the key if you trust them.  This does make the house more apparently vacant though.  If you have utilities on, may also make sense to pay for internet and have some cameras set up in and outside the house.  There are some solid options for exterior cameras that you can monitor that only need an internet connection.  You can power them via solar panels, they have alarms you can trigger and you can also speak/hear through them.  Wyze is a decent option for inexpensive cameras.

    Due to the corner lot situation and having a driveway on each side, one being semi circular, that's quite a bit of posts to sink.  My other concern as you said is it advertises the house is vacant.  I will definitely look into cameras.  I know some video door bells are battery operated so I don't have to do electrical wiring just to install them.
    Make sure you figure out how to recharge whatever you buy or get solar connections.  Cameras wont be valuable if they run out of juice when you aren't around to replace/recharge.  Make sure you have recording capability, preferably cloud, so you can have video to show if you run into any issues where you need to provide evidence of anything.  
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Kuznetz:
    Quote from @Sam Leon:
    Quote from @Michael Kuznetz:

    Sink posts on either side of the driveway and run a chain between with a lock.  Use the post to put up the no trespassing sign and give neighbors the key if you trust them.  This does make the house more apparently vacant though.  If you have utilities on, may also make sense to pay for internet and have some cameras set up in and outside the house.  There are some solid options for exterior cameras that you can monitor that only need an internet connection.  You can power them via solar panels, they have alarms you can trigger and you can also speak/hear through them.  Wyze is a decent option for inexpensive cameras.

    Due to the corner lot situation and having a driveway on each side, one being semi circular, that's quite a bit of posts to sink.  My other concern as you said is it advertises the house is vacant.  I will definitely look into cameras.  I know some video door bells are battery operated so I don't have to do electrical wiring just to install them.
    Make sure you figure out how to recharge whatever you buy or get solar connections.  Cameras wont be valuable if they run out of juice when you aren't around to replace/recharge.  Make sure you have recording capability, preferably cloud, so you can have video to show if you run into any issues where you need to provide evidence of anything.  
    I am trying to decide if I need cameras or video door bells.

    It seems with cameras I can mount them higher up on the eaves out of reach and have a wider view.

    if I do video door bells I can mount one on the front door and one on the garage side.  The view will not be good as a 270 or 180 camera mounted high.  But a video door bell has sound capabilities and I can say "hey buddy this is a private property and the police has been alerted please move along..." but then again, a battery operated video door bell can be easily removed and taken.
  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Hey Sam, sorry about what you're going through! This is one of the ugly parts of our industry that no one likes to talk about. In this situation I would install security system with alarm and motion censored lights. They're both relatively inexpensive and can ward off intruders. Also, a lot of the alarm systems now days can call the police for you. Maybe even make friends with a neighbor and ask if they can keep you updated if they see anything fishy. 

    I'm live and work in the Fort Lauderdale area if you ever need a second set of eyes to swing by here and there.

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Leon:
    Quote from @Michael Kuznetz:
    Quote from @Sam Leon:
    Quote from @Michael Kuznetz:

    Sink posts on either side of the driveway and run a chain between with a lock.  Use the post to put up the no trespassing sign and give neighbors the key if you trust them.  This does make the house more apparently vacant though.  If you have utilities on, may also make sense to pay for internet and have some cameras set up in and outside the house.  There are some solid options for exterior cameras that you can monitor that only need an internet connection.  You can power them via solar panels, they have alarms you can trigger and you can also speak/hear through them.  Wyze is a decent option for inexpensive cameras.

    Due to the corner lot situation and having a driveway on each side, one being semi circular, that's quite a bit of posts to sink.  My other concern as you said is it advertises the house is vacant.  I will definitely look into cameras.  I know some video door bells are battery operated so I don't have to do electrical wiring just to install them.
    Make sure you figure out how to recharge whatever you buy or get solar connections.  Cameras wont be valuable if they run out of juice when you aren't around to replace/recharge.  Make sure you have recording capability, preferably cloud, so you can have video to show if you run into any issues where you need to provide evidence of anything.  
    I am trying to decide if I need cameras or video door bells.

    It seems with cameras I can mount them higher up on the eaves out of reach and have a wider view.

    if I do video door bells I can mount one on the front door and one on the garage side.  The view will not be good as a 270 or 180 camera mounted high.  But a video door bell has sound capabilities and I can say "hey buddy this is a private property and the police has been alerted please move along..." but then again, a battery operated video door bell can be easily removed and taken.

     You may want to do all of the above.  Wyze (i feel like a salesman, but it's what I'm planning to get for my house) has lights with cameras, and you can talk through all of them.  We used one to figure out how the dog was getting onto the counter in the house.  I yelled at him through it but he didn't care.  There is the chance things will get stolen, but at least you'll have it on video and the price points aren't too high.  Definitely contact the local PD when you have people there on camera.  If you call the local department, im sure they want to drive out vagrancy and will be happy to have an officer go by.

  • Nathan FaseltBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Iowa City, IA · Member since 2019 · 94 posts · 35 votes
    3y

    maybe Incentives neighbors with a reward if the catch someone.  Motion sensor lights, and just lots of lights. Good fencing and locks

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    call the police and let them know you are trying to be a responsible neighbor and landlord, explain situation and ask for drive-bys at night. Temporary issue has you out of town, you are in touch with the neighbors

    have the neighbor call the police and request drive by. They can also give them the license plate number. 

    Install a camera of some sort if feasible

    They will take the path of least resistance and if it is clear parking there represents a hassle then they will go somewhere else. Honestly 2 nights in a row should do it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.