Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Bill Mitchell
  • Mansfield, TX
Votes |
Average Cost for Kitchen Granite Countertops?

Bill Mitchell
  • Mansfield, TX
Posted Dec 15 2013, 05:57

I am thinking about purchasing my first flip here in DFW. I am trying to do some long hand repair estimates, and I was wondering what is a conservative $ estimate for your typical kitchen to have granite counter tops put in? Labor and materials, the all in cost.

Looking for a total estimate, for instance $1,500, not $ per sq ft. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Dec 15 2013, 06:03

Size makes a big difference in cost. I've done 35 SF and 90 SF countertops. $25-35 PSF total. Or $850-$2500.

Account Closed
  • Full-Time Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Full-Time Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Dec 15 2013, 06:05

Why are you interested in quotes instead of per ft prices? Do you understand how to calculate it? If so, I'd start bringing a tape with me to look at houses if the problem is you can not visualize 30 sq ft of granite. I'll also note, I get skeptical anytime a new guy tries to give me a price instead of a per ft quote. To me that's for retail customers. As an investor, I like to know my costs and pay per square, per sq ft, linear ft, etc. and obviously, nobody is going to be able to give a realistic price without knowing dimensions. Depending on size, I've paid between 1,200 to 3,500.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rob K.
  • Investor
  • Southeast, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southeast, MI
Replied Dec 15 2013, 06:07

Your entire price will be based on how many square feet you have as well as color of granite. For basic colors, you will be around $30-35 per sq ft plus about $200 for a sink. This is for materials and labor.

Not sure why you wouldn't want a price per sq ft.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Mitchell
  • Mansfield, TX
Votes |
  • Mansfield, TX
Replied Dec 15 2013, 06:13

@Jon Klaus Thank you very much! The reason I am trying to get these prices is because I hear the going rate from contractors for a high end retail flip right now for a whole kitchen is about $5,000 to $6,000. And I am trying to figure out how they arrive at that sum total. I am breaking it down, but I don't see why it is so costly.

For instance:
A stove- 500
Backsplash-400
Cooktop - 500
Granite Counter Tops- 1500
Dishwasher- 500
New Sink - 250
Fridge - 550
Cabinets- Cost to refinish older cabinets in nicer condition ????

That is roughly 4,200. Unless refinishing older cabinets runs you another 800-1000 not sure how I would get at 5k to 6.5k for rehab.

Thanks for your input everyone!

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Dec 15 2013, 06:14

I don't know what the prices are in your area, but in Atlanta I pay $26/sf and in Milwaukee I pay $40/sf. I imagine these are on the low and high ends of the spectrum around much of the country, assuming you can find a small shop that does their own fabrication.

For comparison, retail in Atlanta is about $35/sf and retail in Milwaukee is about $45-50/sf. So, if you know retail prices in your area, about 10-20% off retail is probably about right.

Also, I've done kitchens that were 25 sf and kitchens that were 80+ sf, so giving an average is pretty tough. But, I'd say $1500-3000 is the typical range.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Dec 15 2013, 06:17
Originally posted by @Bill Mitchell:
@Jon Klaus Thank you very much! The reason I am trying to get these prices is because I hear the going rate from contractors for a high end retail flip right now for a whole kitchen is about $5,000 to $6,000. And I am trying to figure out how they arrive at that sum total. I am breaking it down, but I don't see why it is so costly.
For instance:
A stove- 500
Backsplash-400
Cooktop - 500
Granite Counter Tops- 1500
Dishwasher- 500
New Sink - 250
Fridge - 550
Cabinets- Cost to refinish older cabinets in nicer condition ????

That is roughly 4,200. Unless refinishing older cabinets runs you another 800-1000 not sure how I would get at 5k to 6.5k for rehab.

Thanks for your input everyone!

----------------

Add flooring, and I usually pay @$900 for a fridge.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Mitchell
  • Mansfield, TX
Votes |
  • Mansfield, TX
Replied Dec 15 2013, 06:31

@Jon Klaus $900 for a retail fridge? That seems really pricey, is that what it takes to get a nice stainless steel fridge now a days?

Also would you happen to know a general cost to refinish existing cabinets? I think the figure I was told was about $250 per cabinet if that sounds reasonable.

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Dec 15 2013, 06:44

Typical fridge

I'll let someone else answer on cabinet refinishing, though at $250 per, I think I'd replace with new ones.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Dec 15 2013, 06:50

You need to head to a store and look at appliances. The prices you're listing will only get you basic, low end appliances. Or used appliances. They will be fine for a rentals, but for a "high end retail flip" you're off by a lot. I've done a really basic rental kitchen with low end cabinets, formica countertops, and used appliances, but also with wiring and plumbing, and spent more than your $5000 number.

For that matter, Sears actually has an excellent web site for appliances. Spend some time browsing.

Oh, to answer your question, though, I've spent about $1500 on granite countertops in a rental. That kitchen had only a small countertop area, though. When we redid our kitchen in our residence (before I started in this business) I think we spent something like $12,000 on the countertops. But its a higher end granite and a much larger area.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Derziotis
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
  • Carmel, IN
Replied Dec 15 2013, 16:28

Bill
There are alot of variables to your question. The factors are based by this:

Geographical Location
Stone (many different to choose from)
Thickness (I believe where you are 2cm (3/4") is standard)
Edge Profile
Cutouts (all are additional)
Sinks (who is providing)

I would use the figure $45/SF to cover your tail. Better yet, call the primo granite shop in your area and ask them price for a group 1 stone (industry standard) and additional costs for cutouts.

I've been in the granite business for 12 years so I have a pretty good idea on how this all works. Some mentioned $26/SF. Our market expect to pay $45/SF the cheapest.

Mike
Mike

User Stats

Votes
Mike Gallagher
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
  • Ogden, UT
Replied Dec 15 2013, 17:20

I don't think you can do a high end kitchen for that price.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Dec 15 2013, 17:26
Originally posted by @Mike Gallagher:
I don't think you can do a high end kitchen for that price.

Agree, but he asked about a typical kitchen.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Kuhn
  • Minooka, IL
Votes |
  • Minooka, IL
Replied Dec 15 2013, 18:08

Jon is correct. My bottom generic stoves are 400 and the fridges are 500 or 600. For a flip you'll want middle to higher end. Cabinets are usually 200 or 300 each depending on the quality. You can get them prefinished for that price too.

User Stats

Votes
David Krulac
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Votes |
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Replied Dec 15 2013, 21:11

4 stainless appliances, Frigadaire, range, frig, dishwasher, microwave, about $2,000 for total package delivered.

Granite about $29 sq ft

new cabinets total $1,000 to $1,500 wood medium grade, assembled and delivered

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Thom
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Replied Dec 16 2013, 07:19

If you own a home, I suggest you ask a few places to give you an estimate at your house. that way you can figure out what the extras are. many places will charge you extra for a certain type of edge, or for sink cut outs etc. Once you figure all that out, you'll be set.

If you do not own your own house, go to your buddies house or a spec house for sale and get some measurements.

From there you figure your standard size cabinet door. I use that and do quick math on how long your counters are by adding up the doors. It won't be exact but it will get you close enough. Then you calculate your standard depth of a counter. I'd suspect you can come up with a small, medium, large price to get you in the ball park. ALWAYS estimate high when looking for purchases. I've learned the hard way 3 times in a row on that. If you have a kitchen that has a ton of counter space I'd skip all these methods and just measure.

You'll need to remember to add the price of a new sink, fixtures, and plumbing it.

There are a few places in richardson off of Central Expressway that will do it installed for mid-$20s. That isn't too far from you. If memory serves, We found a place over there (http://www.bestgranitecountertop.com/) that gave you a basic edge and included one cut out for sink...or it was very reasonable. He had a basic undermount stainless sink that he threw in for minimal charge. He did not plumb sink but he had a contact that did. I am not affiliated with best granite countertop nor do I get a referral fee. We have sent my parents and some friends over there. They do great work.

One note, when I used him, I came in with my drawings and measurements of my house and he gave me a basic price. From what I remember, he nailed the price exactly and I don't think he varied off of it much if any when he came to measure.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Rasmussen
  • Realtor
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied Aug 24 2017, 17:56

Hello, do all these quotes include installation/demo? Or is it just for materials?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Pulaski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Replied Aug 24 2017, 18:49

These quotes are 3 years old. I paid about $39/SF which included template, fabricate and install. $250 for the sink. I don't upgrade to any special edge profile.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Aug 25 2017, 19:06
Originally posted by @Travis Rasmussen:

Hello, do all these quotes include installation/demo? Or is it just for materials?

Includes installation and demo...

That said, I'd revise prices up about 20-30% since most of these responses were written...

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Aug 25 2017, 21:51

For those who are wowed by the fancy edges, my suggestion is to avoid them. The reason has to do with seams, when two slabs have to join together due to the size limitations of the slabs vs the size of what is needed for the counter. It can be a challenge to get two slabs to be of exactly the same thickness when they are to be joined at a seam; and the specs for the thickness variation from slab to slab is somewhat loose, so there could be a noticeable thickness difference that is exacerbated when you use a fancy edge.