Soda Hacking (houseing hacking for pop!)

Soda Hacking (houseing hacking for pop!)

Findlay , OH · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 0 votes

Soda Hacking

So while living in my househack I‘be been thinking of other ways to “hack” our expenses down and I thought I’d share the most creative one with you guys;

At work I drive a lot, like 4-6 hours a day around town. Often times my boss ask me to pick up lunch on my way back in and he Apple Pay’s me or gives me cash for his order. I’d say 90% of the time he wants a gas station pop, Dr. Pepper Cream Soda or Mt. Dew Baja Blast.

Now neither of these are normally on the shelf at the local grocery store but always at the gas station for $2+ each.

I saw my opportunity, I managed to find and purchase these in bulk numbers and keep them on my car so I give him his ordered soda pop at the gas station cost and pocket the difference to cover buying my own drinks. (He is aware but the convenience is worth it to him I guess) Luckily my wife happens to also love Dr. pepper Cream soda.

When looking at the numbers I broke it down. I can purchase cans for about $.29 each and bottles for $.50 each (but the bottles are never in stock and the cost of shipping would eat too much into it so it’s normally cans)

I “sell” the cans at $1 each or 2 for $1.50 and bottles for $2. Given about 4 drinks per week he buys off me at an average profit of $0.50 average per drink I make around $2 a week after expenses.

$8 per month is enough to buy 2 different 12 packs of my wife’s favorite soda pop for the month so for the little labor of picking up a few extra cases of pop and keeping them in my trunk we have effectively “soda hacked” our way to free pop!

Does anybody else have any creative “hacks” to cut down on your month to month expenses and luxuries?

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    I did this as a kid. My family couldn't afford pop so it was a rarity. When I was old enough to earn my own money, I bought a 6-pack. I drank two and sold the other four to my siblings. It raised enough money to buy the next 6-pack and I always had pop available.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.