Impatient for when it will get easier (reaching step 3: Profit.)

Impatient for when it will get easier (reaching step 3: Profit.)

Real Estate Investor · Marysville, OH · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 196 votes

I have 12 units across 5 buildings.  One is in year 2, all the rest are still in year 1.  On paper, all the buildings required some rehab because they were purchased below market.  So it's pretty much a given that year 1 is going to suck looking at the returns once you factor that money in :)  That's fine.  Long term, they should all be great investments.  The building that is in Year 2 should have been really positive, but I had a driveway replacement the city got on my case about so that ate up most if not all of my positive cash flow for year 2.  (I might still land in the black if I have 4 no drama months to end 2017.)

I still find myself occasionally being discouraged, wondering when I will have enough REI to actually impact my life in a positive way. Currently I've moved from writing checks all the time to the rentals rents received being enough to cover the rehabs and repairs, so that's a huge step in a positive direction, but since none of the money is coming back to me yet, it feels like I have this side business that has no impact on my life right now.

So I guess maybe to the experienced people out there, how do you stay motivated?  Things are obviously moving in the right direction, logically everything makes sense.  Emotionally and psychologically, I'm yearning for the time when my rentals will 'make it rain' every month :)  I'm just impatient.

0Reply
11 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Marc Hanson Ummmmm...it sounds like your plan is going just like you...well...planned it to. Lose money Year 1 (rehab costs), break even Year 2, make money (fingers crossed) in Year 3. You kinda bought fixers with that intention in mind. There are probably 1,000 people here that have a plan that *isn't* working so I'd be happy if I were in your shoes. I will say that even "yield plays" (no value add rehab) tend to have a tough time in Year 1. There's always some form of stabilization that takes place and it usually comes in the form of vacancy/turnover. I've had one multifamily with zero stabilization issues (got lucky), one with less-than-expected, and one with more than expected. On the last one (more than expected) I think I'm now less than 30 days away from putting it behind me. You find out (after closing) about verbal "13th month free!" agreements and just other junk like that. When I don't honor that undocumented free month they vacate. I don't blame them and it's not worth the time/effort/cost to sue the previous owner over a statement that (frankly) is impossible to prove. Net result, I have to eat the higher than average turnover. Just like you have to eat those stabilization costs. I know there are likely fancy folk around BP that don't have these issues and make it rain cash on Day 1 but I'd guess most don't. Or, like me, they got "lucky" on a property.
  • Real Estate Investor · Marysville, OH · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 196 votes
    9y

    I hear you. Just a sporadic bout of the impatience I think...

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    You need to adjust your model a little. Find/get the capital for CapEx to do the work, then take cashflow. Time you get to year 2..3... you will buy something else, it just continues the pain perpetually.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Profit in real estate comes from (1) cash flow (2) appreciation and (3) principal reduction. If you are buying value add properties, a good chunk of the profit (and IRR) should come from #2...forced appreciation (and that usually happens in the first year or two of the investment). I'd recommend tracking your IRR or at least your net worth and you may find that your profit is a lot more than what you think. IRR usually goes DOWN after the early years with a value add.

    You may also want to align your goals with your investing strategy as it sounds as if your goal is cash flow but your strategy involves adding value.

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 305 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    Ahh heck Marc, relax and enjoy the fact that you can see stabilization on the horizon. My wife and I went into our mid west investments 4 years ago with the goal of building a nice portfolio of paid for rentals before we retire from our W2 jobs. We have reinvested EVERY DIME of rent since then in additional properties. We were set to "see black" in September so we closed on another SFR last Friday. Maybe March ????

  • Real Estate Investor · Marysville, OH · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 196 votes
    9y

    Appreciate all the feedback.  :)  I have to get out of my own head on this.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    I always consider from ground zero to "I can breath easy" should take about 5 years on your first go round.

  • Real Estate Agent · Highland, UT · Member since 2015 · 407 posts · 272 votes
    9y
    Maybe I look at it differently but I make money day one once it's rented. I buy distressed properties and spend $10-$20k getting the property rent ready I consider this a cost of purchase along with down payments. I save all my cash flow for the next down payment and future repairs while I'm in acuistion mode. When running the numbers I look at the cash on cash return.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.