Need advice on MTR potential in North County!

Need advice on MTR potential in North County!

Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi all!

I have been researching the San Diego market and would love your advice on my situation / dilemma.  I'm going to give you a bit of context on what I already know below so you can weigh in most efficiently.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I grew up in Encinitas and currently live out of state. I'm looking to buy a property that my family can spend summers at (2-3 months) but rent out for most of the rest of the year. I realize the opportunity cost of not having renters in peak season and am simply factoring myself in as a tenant. I'm looking at 2 to 3 bedrooms/2 bath condo/townhome/SFR from Del Mar up to Carlsbad west of El Camino Real. The closer to the beach the better, recognizing that comes with increased cost but potentially higher rents. HOA fees are OK provided the amenities make sense and I factor that in to my number crunching.

I've been researching the area and have found that many HOAs require > 30 day stays for rentals and the ones are STR are more rare and higher cost since they're near the coast, which makes sense. I also know that there have been changes (and could be future ones) that restrict STRs.

Here's my dilemma: 

I see some suitable properties but they need to be MTRs and it's unclear what my occupancy rate might be.  I can see some availability data on Airbnb for long-term stays but it's hard to tell what kind of demand there is for this.  I'm worried that my number crunching could be way off and something that seems cash-flow neutral might not be.  I understand there are travel medical professionals, relo's, temporary housing for reno, and digital nomads, but to be honest, it feels like demand could be choppy.  

Are MTR investors banking on future appreciation and accepting cash flow negative in short-term (1-3 years?)?   I am aware of and looking for opportunities like ADUs, finding unique situations, etc.  

Thanks in advance for your local perspective!

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    4y

    I have an acquaintance that has a MTR at a much lower cost point than your example that has positive cash flow as an MTR.   Her MTR is in San Marcos and has had outstanding occupancy for the neatly one year (maybe just over a year) that she has operated the MTR.   It has primarily been filled by traveling nurses.

    I fear that most traveling nurses will not have the budget to pay what your higher cost unit would require to cover its higher expenses.   This is speculation as unfortunately I know of no one that has a good comparison to what you desire.  

    Good luck



  • Realtor · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    I am a Realtor in Encinitas and mostly worked in North County for the last 28 years. I admit I know little about MTR's but https://www.furnishedfinder.co...  will give you some stats on demand for the area. I tried searching BP for FF and "Furnished Finder" but it searches for each word, not a phrase. I did find an informative thread at https://www.biggerpockets.com/...  that discusses their results using the different platforms like AIRBNB, FF VRBO & Sabbatical Homes. Call me to chat at 760-212-8225.

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Hi Lisa,

    I think a deal can work, it depends on what you are looking to put down on the investment. I’d be happy to help run some proformas to make sure you are capturing the right inputs to review your options. Please feel free to connect with me. 
    Caleb
    By the way, I live in Encinitas too. 

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 124 votes
    4y

    I have a tenant that was a travel nurse. Her housing stipend was $1600 a week! But that is also to compensate them for their time. It is not uncommon for a travel nurses to stay in the mtr only while they work their consecutive shifts and head back home. Desirable areas such as yours so close to the pacific will always be desirable and I cannot imagine appreciation not making you look smart for this deal. 
    Non of this is hard data, so I apologize, but I have been looking into MTR’s and the data is hard to find! 
    good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.