Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Los Angeles County Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Richard Kolostian
  • Cerritos, CA
Votes |
Los Angeles rent control

Richard Kolostian
  • Cerritos, CA
Posted Mar 30 2016, 22:31

Does anybody know where I can take a course on how the City of Los Angeles rent control ordinance works? Not sure if "Questions about BiggerPockets" was the exactly correct forum, but I figured it was more appropriate than "Getting Started" which probably deals with one's first purchase. Any help directing me to a course would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Logan Allec
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 31 2016, 00:02

@Richard Kolostian, you should definitely attend the RSO Workshops that the city puts on.  These are very informative.  RSO = Rent Stabilization (A.K.A. Rent Control) Ordinance.  The 2016 schedule can be found here.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Danzig
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 31 2016, 06:49

@Richard Kolostian - If you want to talk to someone, you might consider calling a local commercial real estate brokerage (Marcus & Millichap, Keller Williams, etc.) and ask to talk to someone who specialized is whatever area you're interested in. There are young people there who are very knowledgeable and will jump at the opportunity to talk to a potential client. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Kolostian
  • Cerritos, CA
Votes |
  • Cerritos, CA
Replied Mar 31 2016, 18:06

Thanks for the information everybody!! My membership is already paying off. Let me know if I can return the favor.

User Stats

Votes
Susan O.
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Fresno, CA
Replied Jan 6 2018, 17:13

Careful guyTs you better contact your state Assembly before jan 9.  They're voting to repeal costa hawkins.  It could EXPAND RENT CONTROL into SFRs, Condos, and ban you from ever raising rents, even when VACANT!!

It could also ban property owners from recovering costs when making improvements or repairs on all rentals, including single-family homes and condominiums.

Owners will have no power or rights to reset rental rates to market when a unit becomes vacant.

For instance right now all your LA Los Angeles rent controlled properties. When someone moves out you can at least raise the rents to market level. In the future this could be banned and you could be forever locked into low rents

User Stats

Votes
Susan O.
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Fresno, CA
Replied Jan 6 2018, 17:22

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/04/five-things-...

Things to know about Cali rent control 

See economists take on rent control.

User Stats

Votes
Susan O.
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Fresno, CA
Replied Jan 7 2018, 08:17

Emergency action is needed NOW!!!

We are 7 votes from State Wide Rent Control!!!

The future of your property and neighborhood is in the hands of these 7 State Housing Commission members.

Shown below are the housing committee members who will be voting on Assembly Bill AB1506 State wide Rent Control on January 11, 2018.

Isn't it interesting that the vote was scheduled for a time when a moderate committee member will be out of town? And - the committee has substituted an active supporter of AB1506to vote in her place? Assembly member Rob Bonta is a "yes" vote. This is not good for us. We must fight hard to defeat AB1506.

Please call each member on both phone numbers before they vote and tell them you are opposed to Bill AB1506.

Ask them to please vote NO on AB1506 and thank them for taking your call. When you call Anthony Rendon ask him to hold the vote until Monique Limon is back in town.

If you are interested in going to Sacramento for the January 11, 2018, vote The time to take action is NOW!!!

http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov

FIND TOUR REP

User Stats

Votes
Manolo D.#3 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 7 2018, 08:22

Wow, really? Of all areas? You decided to ask action here on BP?

User Stats

Votes
Susan O.
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Fresno, CA
Replied Jan 13 2018, 21:28
Originally posted by @Manolo D.:

Wow, really? Of all areas? You decided to ask action here on BP?

Here's an update. They'll be puttin gthis to vote in November 2018 http://beta.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-...

California Rent Controll bill ended. Battle Headed to Voters Rent Control

Hopefully they can at least vote against it in November... 

User Stats

Votes
Susan O.
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
  • Fresno, CA
Replied Apr 18 2018, 07:51

Economics video on rent control Pass this on to local politicians and leaders