Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Justin Silverio
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Andover, MA
Votes |
Short Sale with Money back to Seller?

Justin Silverio
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Andover, MA
Posted

I just got a call back from my direct mailing from a woman who is looking to sell her property so she can move to Florida. She owes about $150k and has missed a couple mortgage payments since last year. I estimate I would have to pick up the property around $120k to make the deal work. She would be open to a short sale, however, she really needs cash in her pocket to move. Is it possible/legal to buy a property through a short sale and put money in her pocket too?

A follow investor told me that lenders sometimes offer relocation expenses when a seller goes through a short sale. Has anyone heard of this?

User Stats

Votes
Ibrahim Hughes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Bloomfield, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Bloomfield, NJ
Replied

Yes I understand that many lenders are offering this.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Emmert
  • Investor
  • San Ramon, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Ramon, CA
Replied

Wow, things have changed. I know 2 years ago when I was doing mine that was strictly prohibited. Basically the bank is funding her move. I guess they got so used to cash for keys that this was the next logical step?

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Silverio
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Andover, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Andover, MA
Replied

I just found this blog that talks about a $5k relocation fee paid by Wachovia. This also happens to be the bank the seller has her mortgage with. http://wachoviashortsaleexpert.net/17/wachovia-short-sale-free-brochure/

There is a link at the beginning of the second paragraph that brings you to an approval letter from Wachovia illustrating the $5k relocation fee.

The seller is asking for $40k in her pocket.....hopefully she can settle for $5k??

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Jones
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

40k! Why would she be asking for 40!? So the seller falls behind on her commitment to pay and then wants to be paid 40k. Amazing.

Account Closed
  • Rehabber
Votes |
  • Rehabber
Replied

I just closed on a short sale in Florida where the seller received $20k from BOA. The extra funds need to come from the lender directly or it's not an arms length transaction I assume.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Silverio
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Andover, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Andover, MA
Replied

What was the reasoning for the $20k payment?