Cold Calling Etiquette & Stuff

Cold Calling Etiquette & Stuff

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 1 vote

Looking for some input regarding mostly when and how often to call back no-answers when cold calling.

Also, what if you have a list of numbers for an individual? Do you keep going down the list in one sitting, getting no answer after no answer? Or is it better to call only a couple numbers from the list and get no answer in one sitting, with plans to continue at a later time or date? (unless the numbers are out of service,etc).

How late is too late to call? How early is too early to call?

I've had some success with calling about properties found while driving for dollars -- far and away above the accepted 2% response rate people claim to get when mailing. I like the immediacy of a phone call and they're free--included in my monthly phone contract (unlike postage). So obviously I'd like to continue marketing this way.

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks regarding cold calling? I'd love to hear anything you've got.

Sharon

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 33 votes
9y

There was a Stanford study done and one of the best times to call is between 8 a.m. -9 a.m. because people are commuting. Never leave a message, call back later in the day. People are curious by nature and will most likely call you back wondering who is trying to reach them. Also you can always text someone who you talked to once and doesn't respond afterwards. Call for 14 days in a row before you give up. Most people will try three times and in many cases, the fourth call is the money:) Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    @Sharon Sweeny I'll pass along a book that someone suggested to me about cold calling. A book called "Go for No!: Yes Is the Destination. Great quick read. As for as how late I keep my cold calling before dinner time which for me is between 5-6. I try to put myself in the persons shoes and if I wouldn't wanna be called during that time I know someone else would not either. Quick funny story about cold calling I had just got done hyping my self up excited to make that first call off the call list. After a few no answers I finally got someone to pick up so I start by introducing myself company quick spill and ask for the owner. Well the person who answers the phone burst into tears and says that the person I called for had died a couple years ago so I spent the next 5-10 minutes apologizing and doing my best to comfort this individual by the end I was just ready to Hangup but before I hung up the phone I was able to get contact information on the new owner bc I stuck it out and that owner didn't sell but has become a strong asset in our buyers list. Good luck to you and I'm sure you will lots of success
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Chris A Godbolt thanks for the story! It proves that you should never blow-off something or someone. There might be a million bucks lurking nearby.

    So you never call past 5 or 6 pm? What hours do you call during the day?

  • Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    @sharon Sweeny I am active duty navy so I work on my ship from 06-15 everyday so I call during my lunch which is 11-1230 and from about 3-5 sometimes 6. I also call diff states so keep the time difference in mind is crucial I would hate to call someone 6 my time and it be 9 they're time. As far as how early I think 7 is fine but 8 is probably more acceptable.
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks Chris. I used to know a sailor; different ocean. :)

  • College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 73 votes
    9y
    Chris A Godbolt if anyone called me at 7 am I'd be pretty testy. I'd say 9am or after to call.
  • Real Estate Agent · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    There was a Stanford study done and one of the best times to call is between 8 a.m. -9 a.m. because people are commuting. Never leave a message, call back later in the day. People are curious by nature and will most likely call you back wondering who is trying to reach them. Also you can always text someone who you talked to once and doesn't respond afterwards. Call for 14 days in a row before you give up. Most people will try three times and in many cases, the fourth call is the money:) Good luck!

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @ConnorHeim good point. Testy at 7:00 AM indeed.

    @ElisaUribe Thanks for the great tips. 14 days in a row would definitely make someone curious enough to call back or pick up. From now on, I'm working toward the 4th call.

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    It is a good idea to avoid being rude.  If someone calls me before 8:00 am I will consider them trying to be rude.  I might call them back at 4:00 am.  If they have called me every few minutes trying to get me to answer then I might call at 4:00 am, then 4:15, then 4:30.

    It is also a good idea to check state laws and see what they say about cold calling people before 8:00 am.

  • Lender · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 32 votes
    9y

    @Sharon Sweeny I don't know about market research so much, well I do, but there are specific FTC guidelines for doing cold calling for businesses. Like calling past 9pm their time and I believe 7am their time as well. Don't really run into that guideline cause I live on the west coast. That's telemarketer rules though. If they are putting their number for you to call them about a seller finance property of FSBO, then I'd say blow their phone up. They posted their number because they want you to contact them. If you are cold calling as far as like a telemarketer service off data you've bought, I'd say stay within FTC guidelines and work your marketing strategy around that.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Michael Biggs - I'm totally on board with the late and early calls. No one who called me at those times would ever get my business. Definitely don't want to seem rude or pushy.

    @Joe Kim - Ditto on the early and late hours. Good tip on the FSBO. Didn't buy the list; compiled it myself from public sources. However, I will be mindful of FTC and common sense when calling.

    I've only called on weeknights between 5:30 and 8:30 and on weekends from mid-morning to mid-afternoon. I think I'll expand my calling hours and hopefully get rid of the "no answers" on the list.

    Thanks again to everyone who responded. I'll let you know my results and stats when I complete the list (or mostly complete it).

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @Sharon Sweeny

    I'll start by saying every market is different but in my market, I will call a lead almost every day, if for example it's a foreclosure lead that I have already spoken to and found intent to sell. 

    Sending text messages like @Elisa Uribe said works so try it. 

    If it's a fresh list than just go down the list until you talk to someone who wants to sell. Be polite and memorable above all else. 

    Stand up if possible, I use breathing techniques to focus on the moment and to have a full breath of air so I sound calm and collected. Also it helps me not get caught in that negative self talk when you're doing something that can be scary. 

    I call every weekday from 9am-12pm every type of list you could imagine. But I have called up until 830pm in the past. If you're cold calling, you're inevitably going to come across someone rude no matter what time you call. Its more important that you're a good mood and try to enjoy the calls because people can sense when you're not into it. 

    Weekends, you're contact rate skyrockets and people are usually in a better mood too, I call every other weekend but it always seems to be productive. 

    Have a great script and practice them, but don't fall in love with just one, have a couple so you sound fresh. Be aware that if you speak slowly, you might have to speak faster at times with different prospects, and vice versa, so be adaptable in that sense. 

    Have purposeful questions. Use them and listen as much as possible. Build a connection and always ask for appointments when you sense its there. I call it being politely persistent! 

    I could go on forever but hope that's enough to encourage you to keep working those phones. Good luck! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.