Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Grant Shipman
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Estes Park, CO
Votes |
Do you believe that Co-Living investment is the fastest way to financial freedom?

Grant Shipman
Pro Member
  • Estes Park, CO
Posted

I’ve been exploring the benefits of Co-Living investments and am curious to hear your opinions! Have you tried Co-Living or know someone who has? What are your thoughts on its potential to deliver financial freedom quickly compared to traditional real estate investments?

Let's discuss and share our insights!

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Cornelia
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Rent by room / house hacking / co-living should deliver significantly higher cash flow than a traditional rental.  in my experience doing this in Vegas - the gross rental income is about 50% higher.  i have much higher expenses and more headaches of course, but cash flow is higher.

most major tier 1 or tier 2 cities should have significant enough rental demand to be able to implement this strategy pretty successfully.  You better be prepared to handle the management though..

User Stats

Votes
Joan Piccalo
  • Architect
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied

I think the zoning laws are iffy and it's a risk that many investors are taking - and getting away with. But enforcement and the nosy neighbor (or noisy tenants) could ruin it all. There's a huge demand for it - it solves a problem in the housing market - but I'm just getting started and too skittish of the zoning personally.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Lotus Eli
  • Investor
  • Casper, WY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Casper, WY
Replied

Hey Grant,

I co-lived in Estes Park and several other places during a travel mission I undertook as part of a personal journey to get more in touch with myself. Co-living investors make a significant profit. For example, if the typical rent per unit is $1,500 (3bd 2ba), my landlord at the time would have one unit with three rooms and four people within the unit (one person per room and one room with two people), each paying around $500. The people with single rooms even paid a bit more. Ultimately, he was making $2,100+ a month per unit! He ensured that the structure, HVAC, plumbing, and electricity were well-maintained, and rarely had anyone coming in for maintenance fixes. If there were any, they were minimal, meaning not much maintenance was needed. He had about 10+ units, and when I tell you he was making bank, he was making bank! 20K a month and he had several buildings!

In all, when you invest in co-living properties, you have the opportunity to double, and depending on your location and how you structure your investment, potentially triple your income per month! I have a bit of experience with co-living investors, having been involved in several co-living investments for five years. I would love to give you more insight, and I really think you should consider obtaining at least one co-living investment, especially because you are in Estes Park, Grant! Throughout my investing journey, I definitely want a co-living investment!

User Stats

Votes
Grant Shipman
Pro Member
  • Estes Park, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Estes Park, CO
Replied

I  appreciate hearing all your comments.  By exploring the benefits of co-living, I don't mean that I don't have experience with it.  It is actually the only thing I do.  We do co-living for the main stream.  I live in Estes Park, but haven't offered co-living up there yet.  We run a special kind of co-living property management that has houses mostly run themselves, 97% occupancy, and over 2 year average tenancy.  A fulltime property manager manages 140 leases.  My current thoughts on it is that co-living is the king investment compared to other investment strategies, but the investor must be using the right tools: co-living property management system, asset management system, and a great team.  Otherwise, like any investment, profits get eaten up and headaches balloon.  Are any of you currently investing in co-living properties? 

User Stats

Votes
D. Dee
Votes |

@Grant Shipman hi Grant, I would love to connect if you don't mind. Would love to hear more on how you set up your properties to get that 97% efficiency. Newbie here btw.