Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bijou
Votes |
How can I assume the mortgage on my brother’s house?

Adam Bijou
Posted

My brother is interested in selling his house to me, however, I’d like to keep the existing 2.9% interest rate on his mortgage. I’m wondering how I can do this without having his loan be called due. I heard this may be a possible by first placing the house in a trust and utilizing the Garn-St Germain act. Wondering if there is any validity to this?Any advice would be great appreciated. Thank you!

Located in: Trenton, NJ 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied

Is it a VA or FHA mortgage? If so, just contact the loan servicer.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Adam Bijou:

My brother is interested in selling his house to me, however, I’d like to keep the existing 2.9% interest rate on his mortgage. I’m wondering how I can do this without having his loan be called due. I heard this may be a possible by first placing the house in a trust and utilizing the Garn-St Germain act. Wondering if there is any validity to this?Any advice would be great appreciated. Thank you!

one thing to realize and talk to your accountant about is if you assume it - do you assume it based on his cost basis, which could be a lot lower than the property value and then when you do eventually sell it, you could be hit with a nice capital gains bill. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brad S.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied
Quote from @Adam Bijou:

My understanding is that technically, No, that would still give the lender the option to enforce the due on sale clause (DOS) and accelerate the loan. But, practically speaking I have never heard of a lender actually accelerating a loan due to a tfr. I have even heard interviews of officials (I think from the Office of Thrift Supervision) where they say they also have never heard of it being enforced. But, there is always that chance.

I think there is a provision in the due on sale clause regarding the borrower keeping the rights of occupancy in the property, if title is transferred into a trust. And there may also be verbiage that the lender should get notice of any change in occupancy. So, technically, getting around the DOS is not that easy.

But, putting the property in a Land Trust, in your brother's name, and then having him tfr the beneficial interest to you at some future date (maybe after letting the lender know of the trust tfr), may help shield the beneficial interest tfr, but technically, may not circumvent the DOS. Also, make sure to keep the insurance in his name, since the lender will get notification of any insurance changes.

So, while it may be possible to do a "shadow title change" through a trust, that may still violate the DOS, but it may not be likely to ever come back and bite you .....but it is can.