Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mohit Datta
Votes |
Makes no sense to rent it out. Or does it?

Mohit Datta
Posted

On the east side, in Redmond, we are currently living in a property worth probably 1.6 with about 600K outstanding - and a monthly payment of about 4K including mortgage, insurance, property taxes etc.

Looking to leave the area.

Does it make sense to rent it out given that I’ll probably get 4K in rent?

I think it makes no sense since the 1M or so Invested in the stock market can bring me a better return - or I can put it down for my next house instead of selling stocks….

What am i missing?

If my hunch that it is correct why would anyone be renting out a single family home at all in this area where homes are worth 1.5M and rent is just 4K?

User Stats

Votes
Kiernan LaFaver
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied

It depends on how/if you want to deal with property management. It sounds like your mortgage is about equal to potential rent. Is there any cash flow involved? If so, is the positive cash flow enough to keep you invested in keeping the property? Also need to consider if you’d like to manage the property out of area and hire somebody. If the rental situation doesn’t make sense, it’s more logical to sell and use as down payments for next properties if that’s your goal. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Bock
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • Bryn Mawr, PA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Financial Advisor
  • Bryn Mawr, PA
Replied

@Mohit Datta

Everyone is different so nothing really that your missing do what is in your best interest and in alignment with your goals and values.  

Some owners do not and will not have the same needs as you and may not think like you.  

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Mohit Datta
Votes |
Replied

-deleted-

User Stats

Votes
Replied

While the potential rental income of 4K is noteworthy, it's essential to consider various factors.

The local real estate market conditions, property management costs, and potential maintenance expenses should be factored in.

Additionally, evaluating investment alternatives like the stock market is prudent.

Renting out a property can offer long-term benefits, but careful financial analysis is crucial to determine if it aligns with your overall investment strategy and goals.