Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Teachout
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Everett, WA
Votes |
Mid-Term Rentals, DADU and creative value adds

Brandon Teachout
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Everett, WA
Posted Nov 13 2022, 14:59

Hello!  I am very excited to be learning more about bigger pockets and actually being active in the community of investors. I have a few questions that I'm trying navigate in the middle of 1,000 endless projects. Probably some of the same questions others have asked but I'm going to include a bunch in this post. and I look forward to hearing from you all!

my current situation is;

I currently have a 1b/1b private unit rented to Travel nurses and I am mid construction on the main house, to finish basement after it flooded. The main house will be 4bed/2bath and I want to rent by door as midterm travel nurse facility. I am looking for a little input on what amenities would be preferred in a house shared by traveling professionals. Beyond the standard furnishings, like bed, desk, dishes, etc etc etc, there will be two bathrooms each with a shower, a shared kitchen and shared laundry. I have the ability to leave a small gym setup, but I'm not sure if its a liability or if I could produce a waiver to sign with lease? The other idea I had was to add two additional bedrooms, making two bedrooms per floor of three floor house. This option cuts out the ability to have a gym and could potentially create time management issues having 6 tenants share two bathrooms. I'm also not sure that the water tank would sustain that many occupants. I'm willing to upgrade plumbing systems in order to mitigate those issues, but I am not sure what upgrades those would be.

Looking at rental comps per room are $1,100-$1,500 depending on location and amenities and my property is located less than .5miles to Hospital in Everett, WA. 

In Summary, the 1b/1b unit rents for $2,500 a month and the rooms will be $1,200(to be conservative) making approximately $7,300 in cashflow. 

Next step is funding the purchase of my next property and securing the loan, I am working with a brokerage to help get approved but I'm still exploring some creative options to fun/finance this next purchase. I have heard of using home as collateral or maybe this high cash flow property would help qualify as income?

I did previously have a one year lease that ended and we transitioned into this mid term strategy, and that income was claimed on last years taxes. 

I have quite a bit of equity in the home that I've never touched. 

I found the property that Id like to purchase and convert the barn into a two bedroom DADU.

I'm self employed but have recently applied to quite a few jobs as that seems to be the biggest hold up in being able to be financed.

If anyone has a suggestion about any of these things, I'd love to hear from you! .....but please be kind, we are still new to figuring out all the specifics! :)

User Stats

Votes
Brian Kantor
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Nov 13 2022, 15:12

Lucky for you, there is a brand new BP book on this exact topic :)

Check out "30 Day Stay".

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Teachout
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Everett, WA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Everett, WA
Replied Nov 13 2022, 17:14
Quote from @Brian Kantor:

Lucky for you, there is a brand new BP book on this exact topic :)

Check out "30 Day Stay".

Good luck!

Thanks for the link! :)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes