$2.5M cabin deal strategy

$2.5M cabin deal strategy

Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 122 votes

Hey all, 

I think I'm heading the right direction on this deal, but wanted to ask the community to point out any flaws or issues. 

THE DEAL

36 acres, 6 cabins next to national forest in western NC. (there's an "office building" on the property to that could potentially be upfitted to a 7th unit, but I'm leaving that off for the purposes of the numbers)

Asking price: $2.5M

Rent: AirDNA for the area + personal research = ADR $250 X 6 cabins @ 70% average occupancy rate = $380,000/yr potential revenue

The seller has been trying to FSBO the property for over a year at this point.

When initially contacted her she immediately said "I'm not interested in owner financing" before I even brought up any potential terms - so I'm sure she's been flooded with folks just spamming her with texts and emails not getting to actually know her and was sick of being asked. But to summarize what I learned from speaking with her:

1. This property was primarily used for family/personal purposes. She did have the property listed as a STR in the past but did not have any meaningful financials to share. It hadn't been listed since the pandemic.

2. Her motivation is: her extended family has migrated north, so she wants to replicate the property, just closer to family. Apparently they have already broken ground on the new construction, but are hoping to relieve the financial burden with this sale.

3. She is allergic to the term "owner financing." However I floated the idea of a lease option and she generally was open to a creative deal when I took the time to explain it to her. 

I said something to the affect of, "I can't get a loan without financial history on the property, and as much as I'd like $2.5M in the bank to purchase in cash, I don't have that. So if you allow me to occupy the property and build up 2 years of financial history for you, I can get the loan and get you the money."

The main strategy I've talked with her about is a lease option - we agree on a purchase price today, and agree on monthly lease price, and length of the option.

So my questions are: 

1. Knowing she's very opposed to anything close to "owner financing" do you think this is the best strategy? 

2. Are there any terms you would be sure to include in the option? One term I'd like to add is, if the property doesn't appraise at the end of the option the option extends for 1 year. Or something to that affect.

3. How would you handle capital expenses in this situation? For example, everything is furnished, and its OK, but it has a "grandma's cabin" vibe (which is literally what this place was for her family) and they really need about $5k/cabin to be the best in the area (which would be my goal). Or additionally, how would you structure a roof replacement, etc? I'm planning on positioning this to her by saying "This deal can be a gradient scale where you retain more control and also more liability, or we receive more control, and take on more liability, where on this scale would you be most comfortable?"

4. As far as additional reasonable terms for the sellers benefit to make her feel safe do you have any suggestions? If I can make her feel secure on the terms I think this will go through. I believe she trusts me personally now, as much as one can after talking for a couple weeks. And my wife and I are meeting her in person this weekend (hence this post!) which I'm very confident will win her over with who we are as people. But the terms need to feel good to her too. 

Anything else I'm missing? 

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

36 acres, 6 cabins,

Hi Evan,

Are you a Paul Bunyan type with an axe (???)

Goal possibly 36 acres 36 cabins, and a liquor licence convenience store cabin (near the road) run by an older relative who lives in one of the cabins as a manager of sorts (???)

Maybe focus it on bigger groups such as church groups, or corporate retreats, or Boy Scouts-Girl Scout troop getaways with parents?

You could call it Evan's Woods or something like that.

Cabin building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-X2-c4UR0

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    36 acres, 6 cabins,

    Hi Evan,

    Are you a Paul Bunyan type with an axe (???)

    Goal possibly 36 acres 36 cabins, and a liquor licence convenience store cabin (near the road) run by an older relative who lives in one of the cabins as a manager of sorts (???)

    Maybe focus it on bigger groups such as church groups, or corporate retreats, or Boy Scouts-Girl Scout troop getaways with parents?

    You could call it Evan's Woods or something like that.

    Cabin building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-X2-c4UR0

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 116 votes
    4y

    If she is open to the lease option, then I'd go with that so that you can get control of the property asap. You could also bring a silent partner into the deal who shares in the profits until they get their money back. 

    For the cabin upgrades and other items (roof repair, etc) you mentioned you can look into 

    1 - non-secured line of credit  if you have decent credit history

    2 - personal loan

    3 - Check if the seller has equity in the property and see if she would be willing to get a HELOC and roll the balance into the purchase price (this is more risk for her but if you convince her this will be a value add she might got for it.

    If you plan to rent the property out you will need the appropriate insurance, an umbrella policy will also be a good idea.

    Make sure the seller knows your intentions; that you plan to rent the units out as STR. What you are doing here (lease + STR) is commonly known as rental arbitrage, ALOT of STR hosts do this. If you do a search on rental arbitrage, you should find a wealth of information on this and what to look out for. 

    The lease + option is a contract for a set period of time. There is usually a downpayment/ deposit required to make the option contract valid. This amount is something to think about. Technically it can be as low as $1 and as high as the two parties agree to. 

    For Cabin renovations a good budget would be 15k-20k for each. Run the numbers to determine your all in costs and then how you will come up with the money. Also, be sure to factor in the holding costs while renovating and getting the properties rent ready.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Evan Kline

    Is she open to a lease option? If she won’t owner finance why would she lease option?

    Also to me 70% occupancy on six cabins seems very high- what happens if that goes to 50% or less?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 122 votes
    4y

    @Dale K Poyser Thanks for the response. We're in the process of finishing a BRRR we'll be pulling at least $80k out of, if this deal ends up going through we'll apply the money to the cabins, if not we'll continue with our current strategy, (investing in B+ neighborhoods for long term and mid-term traveling nurse rentals).

    The seller knows the planned use case - as I mentioned in the post this was the whole premise of the deal. I came in and said I would build up the financials for her by running the property as an STR so it would be a more lendable asset.

    The cabins are in good shape - and 75% of the furnishings are serviceable. We did a walk through of the property last weekend and estimated $5k per cabin. 

    After we did a walkthrough with the seller and talked with her face to face she indicated she would want a longer of period of time to move off the property. So in my offer I proposed a revenue split for 4 months (and during the slow season STR-wise) while she moved 100% off the property, then when she was 100% off we would convert to a Triple Net lease. So as long as we're up and going by the end of the 4 months we will have minimal holding costs.

  • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 122 votes
    4y

    @Chris Seveney

    Human psychology. People aren't rational most of the time. So many people had previously asked her for owner financing she firmly decided that was something she didn't want to do. 

    I'm sure I could have negotiated for seller finance given time, but because of what I walked into, instead of fighting an uphill battle and trying to overcome that pre-conceived notion I offered a similar creative finance option that was called something different. Because she had never said "No" to a lease option before, that at least got my foot in the door. 

    Do you have data I can look at that suggests that's high? It's possible owner use is baked into the 70% number, but the model breaks at about 35% occupancy. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.