Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Michigan Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Samuel S.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Downriver Metro Detroit Investing - Too good to be true?

Samuel S.
  • Metro Detroit
Posted Aug 9 2018, 12:04

Hey guys,

So I am very familiar with Oakland/Macomb County, but recently have been looking into Wayne County.  Specifically the downriver areas (Wyandotte, Lincoln Park, Taylor, etc).  Just by looking at what things are currently listed for (single and multi families), there seems to be good cash flow potential....

For those familiar with these areas, would you consider downriver to be a good investment choice?  How is the tenant base?  Does it differ drastically from area like Lincoln Park, to Taylor, to Wayne?  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 9 2018, 12:58

@Samuel S.

I've lived in the downriver area for most of my life.  It was considered to be a "blue collar" community, and I think that still holds true.  I am a new member here so I don't have any experience in investing yet.  However, downriver area is where I am looking myself.  Here is my opinion based on living in the area for 30 or so years....

Taylor is a large city, and it has varying housing demographics.  Some areas are very low income and low valued housing (off of Eureka Rd, west of Telegraph), and I would stay away from them no matter how good the deal/potential looks.

Lincoln Park is where I bought my first house.  I grew up there and where I actually bought my first house in 2001 (for$83k and sold for $115k in 2005 before the decline really hit).  I moved because the schools declined drastically. 

Allen Park is an excellent area with regards to housing values and schools (excellent).  Mostly middle to upper middle class.  House to rent do not stay vacant very long.  My GFs house was re-rented 4 days after she moved out (rent was $1200/month...and landlord said he had countless applications).

Southgate is another city similar to Allen Park.  Nice houses, decent schools, middle class families.

Wyandotte is an interesting city.  It's on the water, has a thriving downtown that is trendy at time.  Decent schools, too.  The city has its own water, electric and cable company which I've been told is very nice.

Trenton, Woodhaven, Flat Rock, and Riverview are more southern communities that have good potential for investments, as they are considered very good areas to raise kids (excellent schools, higher valued houses).

Areas that I would stay away (or at least be hesitant) are: Ecorse, River Rouge, Melvindale.  Ecorse and River Rouge are extremely sketchy areas with very low income, horrible schools, and higher crime rates.  Melvindale is a sort of hit or miss.  It borders Allen Park, so the houses that are closer are nicer....but as you go further north, it gets closer to Detroit city limits...and it starts to turn ugly.

Message me if you'd like to discuss more.  As I've said, I'm just getting into the real estate investment game and would love to connect to others in the area.

Dave

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#4 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Aug 9 2018, 17:44

Downriver is a big area.

Yes, there is great potential!     

and

No, it is a terrible area to invest!

Really it depends on the neighborhood and the deal.   Choose wisely.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Courtney M.
  • Lake Elsinore, CA
Votes |
  • Lake Elsinore, CA
Replied Aug 9 2018, 18:43

Like a lot of areas in metro Detroit, neighborhood is key. I'm doing some driving in the Westland/Redford/Wayne areas this week and I've discounted great "deals" because of neighbor houses that are dilapidated or SFH in a triplex area. I think there are absolutely great deals to be had - but I'd want to see the street/neighborhood before investing.

User Stats

Votes
Dillon McGough
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Aug 9 2018, 19:20

Like @Courtney M.said, it's really going to depend on the neighborhood.  I've got a commercial retail property on Eureka at Telegraph in Taylor, and things do get quite dicey the further west you go.  There's some pockets in Wyandotte I would look into.  

I personally stay away from spots that have continual negative population growth (all of downriver). 

I think it's just hit or miss and very neighborhood dependent. 

-Dillon McGough 

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Meche
  • Flat Rock, MI
Votes |
  • Flat Rock, MI
Replied Aug 10 2018, 14:52

@Samuel S. I currently have 2 buy and holds in the areas you have described below and live in Flat Rock. I am getting good cash flow and i have a good property manager so finding tenants has only taken a couple weeks after I have gotten my Certificate of Occupancy. The market seems to be tough right now. I will save a house on the MLS and it seems the next day it is gone. As soon as you think it slows down, 5 or so houses will go up pending. I was lucky on both of mine and having conventional finance helped me out on my second (i was the lowest offer, but they had just had an offer fall though on financing so they went with mine). I would agree with everyone else on this post, you have to know the neighborhoods. You can message me if you need more information.

User Stats

Votes
Neel Jain
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Oct 20 2018, 20:02
Originally posted by @Dave McGrath:

@Samuel S.

I've lived in the downriver area for most of my life.  It was considered to be a "blue collar" community, and I think that still holds true.  I am a new member here so I don't have any experience in investing yet.  However, downriver area is where I am looking myself.  Here is my opinion based on living in the area for 30 or so years....

Taylor is a large city, and it has varying housing demographics.  Some areas are very low income and low valued housing (off of Eureka Rd, west of Telegraph), and I would stay away from them no matter how good the deal/potential looks.

Lincoln Park is where I bought my first house.  I grew up there and where I actually bought my first house in 2001 (for$83k and sold for $115k in 2005 before the decline really hit).  I moved because the schools declined drastically. 

Allen Park is an excellent area with regards to housing values and schools (excellent).  Mostly middle to upper middle class.  House to rent do not stay vacant very long.  My GFs house was re-rented 4 days after she moved out (rent was $1200/month...and landlord said he had countless applications).

Southgate is another city similar to Allen Park.  Nice houses, decent schools, middle class families.

Wyandotte is an interesting city.  It's on the water, has a thriving downtown that is trendy at time.  Decent schools, too.  The city has its own water, electric and cable company which I've been told is very nice.

Trenton, Woodhaven, Flat Rock, and Riverview are more southern communities that have good potential for investments, as they are considered very good areas to raise kids (excellent schools, higher valued houses).

Areas that I would stay away (or at least be hesitant) are: Ecorse, River Rouge, Melvindale.  Ecorse and River Rouge are extremely sketchy areas with very low income, horrible schools, and higher crime rates.  Melvindale is a sort of hit or miss.  It borders Allen Park, so the houses that are closer are nicer....but as you go further north, it gets closer to Detroit city limits...and it starts to turn ugly.

Message me if you'd like to discuss more.  As I've said, I'm just getting into the real estate investment game and would love to connect to others in the area.

Dave

Would be great to connect. Commenting for future reference.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 25 2019, 12:18

It's been 7 months since this thread was originally posted. Is downriver still a good area? I'm looking specifically at Wyandotte.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Johnson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 6 2019, 10:09

Good and bad parts of Wyandotte. There are really nice "historic" homes that have been updated and kept nicely and then there are small, "newer" homes that don't have the charm. Generally speaking, closer to Oak and Biddle are the nicest areas with access to a great little downtown. Everyone from other cities much farther north always comment on the fact they had no idea Wyandotte had such a great downtown. 

User Stats

Votes
Kieondre Woody
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Apr 29 2020, 05:01

I would love to connect with someone if not all of you about these downriver locations. I had a showing setup but virus is forcing us to get creative! 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Jones
  • Temecula, CA
Votes |
  • Temecula, CA
Replied Apr 29 2020, 20:54

Hi all, 

Hi @Kieondre Woody. I own 3 SFRs downriver. 2 in Lincoln Park 1 in Allen Park. I've only been doing it for a little over a year (started 2/2019). So far my tenants have been great. Solid, blue collar people who are responsible and take great care of the houses. Good cash flow. Taxes are a little higher in Wayne County. As a couple other people mentioned, the neighborhood is key. The downriver communities vary drastically, sometimes from street-to-street. Also, Allen Park North of Southfield Freeway is Melvindale School District. South of of the Freeway is Allen Park Schools, which are much better and one of the stronger districts in Wayne County.

I find it's getting tight, though. Prices have really increased significantly the past couple of years. It's getting more and more difficult to find a good deal downriver, in my opinion. But they are still out there. Good luck! Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Jordan

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Hastedt
  • Investor
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Metro Detroit, MI
Replied Jan 9 2021, 16:08

I love investing downriver. Then again, my preferred areas to invest are traditionally blue collar, solid working class areas. I own 3 SFR's in Lincoln Park and one in south Dearborn Heights on the Taylor border. Lincoln Park is a very solid community and I'm generating good cash flow. I can't get past the demand in Taylor, most properties(even distressed) are going over asking price.

In terms of appreciation, I have hope for a Lincoln Park. I bought in 2016 for $32k, house is prob $75k on a good day right now. With that said, my first and second investment was in Ferndale and at the time, I was told I was crazy and it wouldn’t  see the growth that Royal Oak had. Those naysayers were clearly wrong. Same with Hazel Park, very blue collar. Now it’s a hot spot in Oakland County. 

Lincoln Park, Allen Park, Southgate and Wyandotte are my top choices for a deal downriver. Northeast Taylor has solid housing stock but is very much in demand.