What should I do after losing it ALL?

What should I do after losing it ALL?

Contractor · spring hill, FL · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 2 votes

I am very confused about my future and really am not satisfied accepting any of what appear to be my options. I got myself into one of those catch 22 positions. Perhaps someone can spark an idea I have not considered yet.

Last year midway through I lost my marriage. I got quite ill amongt other things, and basically sparing the details, my life fell apart like a controlled demolition. In a short 6 months I had accomplished nothing but making myself more sick and depressed, subsiding on my life savings which was about $140,000 cash. I expected to recover anything spent since I had built up my income to about $200,000 a year. My properties sat untouched, vacant, and suddenly declining in value without my awareness.

Around December I started to try to pull myself out of the hole I was in. I did not know it would take a few months. But at that point I had not left the house much and discovered the housing market had fallen apart.

I liquidated everything after I rushed rehabbing them all hours of the day and night. In the end, not so bad. I maybe lost $10,000. However, my partner wanted out by then. He was responsible for the $800,000 I had to use for buys.

By then, I was broke. Divorce, health bills, payments on bills based on a $200,000 lifestyle, I had no way of continuing despite 5 years of uninterrupted profit. I still do not. Hard money, credit, etc. is not an option to me. I am pretty seasoned and am also an ex loan officer, I know that category is completely not in question for me to attempt and reform another investment corp.

So, I have to change careers at 33. I already had formed a tub, tile, cabinet, countertop recoating company mainly for extra money and to be able to use on my own property. That is still going for me, but it is not enough. I need something else going on career wise.

What can I get in to??? I have a BA of Arts degree, and only 9 months formal employee experience as a loan officer for Huntington Banks, (not an option again, $30,000 isnt worth 40 hrs). The rest was my investment co. Here I am sure you know what I did and dealt with, almost all the rehabbing by hand, acquisition, valuation, record scrubbing, rental, management, essentially anything an investor can do is what I did. I would say I was an 9 out of 10 in residential investing performance and knowledge.

The only difference in me and a lot of other investors is I did the work myself and I mean some pretty extensive rehabbing, along with the seasoning of maximizing profitability in the materials. I can do everything and just as good as a pro, or better, with exception to roofing and hvac. But, no licenses for any of it which would mean working for a subcontractor laying tile or installing cabinets or whatever. If I could do it all and there was a profession that required that ability, I am sure the pay would be suitable. But the only thing I could do would be to get licensed in one of the sub professions and they ALL require 4 years formal experience with a licensed contractor. I dont have that so thats out.

I just do not know. What can I do besides investing? I know it will be a step down whatever I do, and thats fine. I just can't make entry level money after making almost $1,000,000 in a few years. But, I have no problem with earning a more modest income to survive on, like $50,000 or so.

What can I get myself into with this dilemma? I have been practically poverty stricken for a year now. I am becoming desperate for a solution.

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
18y

Adam,
I'll drop you a line on the phone tomorrow. I went through this same experience the year before last - 1 year before you did. I lost every dime I made, my credit, a ton of my income. Yep I pretty much went back to nothing. I'm on my way back from nothing and I'll be back to my pre-divorce financial level in about a year or so. I'm not going to paint a rosy picture for you though - it's a pain in the a--. It's tough work. The funny thing I'm learning though is that these anchors I feel on my legs right now aren't holding me back....they're making me stronger. Stronger for the future I have in front of me. I tell you man, knowing what I know now - when I get back to my pre-divorce financial status I'm going to kick some major butt because of what I've learned.

The construction mgmt thing is a pretty good gig. I'm working on creating that here with some people I'm teaching REI to. Another thing that would be good for you there in Florida is insurance adjusting. It's a great state to be an adjuster in and the license is only about a grand for all the training. Again, we'll talk tomorrow and I'll give you what tips I can. Take care man.

Tim

(FYI - the financial side of things suck but if I can make one recommendation different subject you're now dealing with - REI clubs are a surprisingly GREAT place to meet women. :groovy: )

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y

    Hello there Logan-

    So after all this you mean to tell me you have no captiol what so ever?
    You mean to say that you blew every penny you made?

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
    18y

    Well, do you remember when you were born? Of course you don't, no one does, but you do remember when you were younger, had nothing, the only friends were the ones down the street or next door, etc.

    Yet somehow you built an amazing life from it, right?

    Well, guess what, you have been given the blessing of starting over and getting to change and/or right some fo the mistakes you made the first time around, because now you have some experience.

    So, you did it once, now do it again! Just this time, it will be easier because you know you have people behind you!

    So go and kick some butt and be a huge success. After all, success is the best revenge!

  • Contractor · spring hill, FL · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "loki005":
    Hello there Logan-

    So after all this you mean to tell me you have no captiol what so ever?
    You mean to say that you blew every penny you made?

    Every single dime. Much beyond my control. I still THINK my credit is a 750, but I am not interested in loans to return to that business. One day if I again have liquidity like I had then maybe I will on the side. Right now I need to work under someone else for a while and have the security of a paycheck.

    Im feeling pretty defeated theres just nothing available in the classifieds. I COULD handle getting some SMALL loans and absolutely slam the market with ads for my reglazing company, but I am too scared to risk the debt if it fails to generate enough work to cover itself. Its barely keeping me alive right now, let alone another bill.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    18y

    So, you say you don't want to be a loan broker for $30K. What would your reglazing company make if you were doing that 40 hours a week? Or, consider the total time for the broker job, including lunch and commuting, and consider the reglazing company for that amount of time. Does that really make more?

    To me, it sounds like the reglazing is just a job, too. If you don't have work, or can't work, you don't make anything. If there's a real market for that, you need to work on turning it into a business. One where you have people who actually do the reglazing, and you focus on building the business. One where taking a day or a week off doesn't eliminate your income for that week.

    If there is a business there, you will almost certainly have to put some money into marketing. If nobody knows you exist, you aren't going to get much work.

    Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with doing labor for a living. But, you have to realize that's a job, and you're income is limited by the amount of output you can produce with your hands.

    If you want to stay in real estate, and you were good at finding deals, wholesale. Find the deals and sell them to another investor for a small cut. Or, if you're really as good as you say, stay in the business. But, focus on doing the deals and not the grunt work. Every hour you spend laying tile or painting is an hour you could be paying someone else $10 (or whatever your local rate is) and you could be finding deals.

    Or, consider going back to school, either in a trade school or college.

    Look at the bureau of labor statistics. They have lists of jobs and prospects. Look for something that interests you.

    Jon

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    I agree with Jon. Work on wholesaling. You could buy a home subject to its existing mortgage too. Rent it out, lease option it, owner finance it, etc. You could do sandwich leases too, without taking any deeds.

    These options don't take loans, and there isn't alot of money involved, upfront. They can all be moneymakers.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millbrook, AL · Member since 2008 · 55 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Adam, Wow what a roller coaster ride. I agree with the others if you are good at finding deals wholesaling might be the way to go.

    My new husband and I both went through divorce's and some health issues 2yrs ago and nearly lost everything. I actually went back to work as an apartment manager (180 units).

    We are still working on recouping lost revenue but we will not give up. We both have a passion for realestate.
    If you did it once you can do it agian. It may be slower and you may have to get a job and work but you have what it takes.

    Have you thought about starting a Handi-man service. I know a guy in florida who is not a contractor. He still makes a fair living as a non- licenced handiman.

    I think right now any income would be better than none

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y

    Why are you limiting yourself to reglazing and tile work if you know how to do it all? You can put a couple of ad's out as a husband for hire and start doing all kinds of handy man work. I understand about going back into the office environment, it sucks. You have to know property investors that are looking for help. Work cheap, compared to the pro's and you will get plenty of work, which will include roofing. If you don't know how to install Pex, learn, its next great thing, in high demand, since homes are being stripped of copper and pretty easy to install. Worry about your licenses later.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y

    LOL husband for hire!

    I say get back into it by finding local investors and I am sure you, with your background know many people with money! And I all ways stick to my guns, OPM (other peoples money) man and if you can get it done all the better for you! Thanks for the feed-back and I do hope everything works out for you, have a wonderful day my friend...

  • Property Manager · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2008 · 102 posts · 13 votes
    18y

    I was just thinking you would make an excellent property inspector. I don't think the barriers are quite as high for that and with your experience, you probably know all systems pretty well.

    If you're not completely demoralized, find some way to stay in real estate - it's what you're good at! You never know, a year from now you might have the desire (and cash) to invest again.

    I also thought property management wouldn't be a bad choice.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2008 · 117 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    If it's REI you're interested in then wholesaling is an excellent way to start without having money. You can contact someone that is a distressed seller or motivated seller. They're easy to find in the classifieds whether in the newspaper or online. Contact the owner and after doing some comps make an offer and have the right to assign the contract. Make sure there is sufficient discount built in and then assign the contract to another investor. No money out of pocket and if it's sold or assigned you just made a nice paycheck. That can get you back on your feet. Done in the right area or if you do enough of deals you can actually make more than you used to.

    We all go through tough times. Remember, it's not what happens to you, but how you react to it. I had started a business over a decade ago, soon after I was in a bad car accident that took me over 3 years to recouperate from. During my recover from my bed I started a company that became one of the biggest in its industry. Just have passion, persistance and a never say die attitude and almost nothing is impossible. Some of the most successful have been to the top and fallen more than once. They just got up, dusted themselves off and moved forward. Remember, once you have made a good living you already have the knowledge on how to make a good living. Nobody can take your knowledge away from you.

    Good luck to you.

  • Member since 2008 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Hi, you have to keep fighting and work hard to keep your mind clear. Do not stop pushing through these troubled times. Your credit score alone gives you more worth than many Americans. See you later. :D

  • Contractor · spring hill, FL · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    After a month of bellyching something lit a fire under my ***. As many suggested, I am considering large scale property management. BUT, I now have a real interest in construction supervisor. I am hoping my experience is relative enough to allow me to really ease in and learn fast. It pays over 50k.

    My biz COULD be huge. But I dont want it for a primary living while still doing the labor, just side income..... BUT I AM THE ONE in demand for my work quality to the customers, not the company. When I do work, I make $100 and hour or more. One company I knew doing this grossed $750,000 annually. Guess at that wage I would do it forever.

    Its tough finding the repeat customers though and breaking into the main money makers; apartments, condos and hotels. I mean, I have even expanded countrywide and travel to do jobs as long as I earn anough for a free trip. Profit or not, every job is a free advertisement.

    I am currently working on a contract with a major apartment refurbisher/investor in Ohio to pick up all his deals. One stop, 50 or 100 tubs. I have an ex employee there who can perform warranty repairs for pay after I am done. Potential IS there, but I LOVE REI, the only think I get from this is pride when some of my elderly customers cry from happiness after my job is done. I only got into this to perform on my properties. My cost is $20 to paint a tub in 2 hours! My paint holds up up to 15 years! It WAS a perfect idea, though VERY HARD to learn the skill of painting commercially. I got sick of replacing tubs, the tile, backsplashes, cabinets and counters. Suddenly, I discover that I can make tops identical to corian, and even whizzed up a flexwood banding to countour the flat edge of formica tops. Everyone who saw it BEGGED me to do theirs, and well, here I am! I just need repeat clients.

    I know its wrong to ask, but if y'all ever need to redo a tub, counter, wall tile, cabinets, etc. I could REALLY use some work. I will travel ANYWHERE for an adequate size job, even Europe. I wouldnt probably go to NY from FL to do 1 tub, but a few, sure!

    I been off for 3 weeks :( I give commercial discounts to investors. I can repair almost and damage, weld tub holes and fill them, repair the WORST fiberglass cracks, broken tiles, Its not an ad here and I am not trying to push my company, but I literally have 2.33 in my checking with a $3000 mortgage payment coming up, and I am getting desperate. Conversely, if y'all know anyone in the larger comercial REI area you would be a kind soul to mention me to them, Id be very gracious. I will still honor my 5 yr warranties. On tops, you will NEVER have a claim. They'll last 30 years. l

    If anyone needs a contract on a large unit hotel or apartment, I will eat a bowl of cockroaches for the bid if I have to! haha.

    Oh yea, I can also do an AWESOME trick. I get real wood laminate in any type of wood, a few mills thick. I relaminate it on old cabinets. I order custom SOLID matching WOOD doors from Mexico, which you can design yourself from about 20 diferent choices. I stain, then use industrial clearcoat over top. I get the doors so cheap that I am actually cheaper than most formical installers. You are left with HIGH QUALITY counterfeit wood cabinets. I had 36 doors in my kitchen, 60sf of counter, and MY COST was 1100!!!!!!!! Ill post a pic. BUT, I am unaware of licensing requirements, I do it under the table for now. But its beautiful.

    OHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I got an itch! Found a TRASHED 10 unit effic. apt complex needing renovation for $135,000 OBO, owner financed. I think I am about to tell my old partner to suck an egg, that company was all ME and why should let his capital defeat me when that was not how I was so successful???? Its in a ****** area, but, I have section 8 dancing through my head and the promise of a guaranteed check every month with no excuses.

    Gosh guys, I hate poverty. I understand why Black Monday was also suicide monday.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2008 · 117 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Hang in there and things will work out for you. Even if there aren't many re-orders in your business, always ask for referrals. You'd be surprised how many jobs you can get by just asking a client if they know anyone else that might need your services. Referrals are free and come with a built in testimonial when you get them. Once you have done a large job, you can also use that job as a reference when looking for another job.

    Hopefully, with all the members in this forum, you may find that first job right here.

    Good luck to you.

  • Contractor · spring hill, FL · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    K, heres my artwork. These are the wood laminate cabinets I did, minus the 3 foot nickel bar pulls I installed later. The tops are my reglazed ones, with the contoured edge.

    The tile, different story. Thick porcelain with staggered stainless steel 4" decoratives inlaid. The backsplash cost $1200 and the floor $800, and I did not pay anyone to install it! My only splurge lol.

    BEFORE!!!!!

    AFTER!!!

    A nice shot of my counterfeit top hehe.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Nice work, Adam. It looks great!

  • Real Estate Investor · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Keep putting yourself out there!!
    get on craigslist and other FREE advertizing forums.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y

    Good Job Adam, it all looks great to me my friend

    :beer: Cheers!

  • Real Estate Investor · Millbrook, AL · Member since 2008 · 55 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Glad to hear your moving forward agian Adam. Like the Pics.

  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Life is truly weird sometimes, cards get dealt, and you gotta play the hand you are dealt.

    I'm a big fan of Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad" books, and within' the philosophy, Robert teaches that there are 4 quarters to the "game of life".

    Age 25-35: 1st quarter
    Age 35-45: 2nd quarter
    Age 45-55: 3rd quarter
    Age 55-65: 4th quarter
    Age 65+: Overtime
    Age 70: out of time...

    The goal of the this "game" (in order to win) your passive income is greater than your expenses - putting you what Robert calls "out of the rat race".

    If you think about it - many great sporting events are won in the last quarter - and given that you are still in YOUR FIRST quarter, it may give you some solace and encouragement to realize that you still have time to completely rebuild and succeed! :cap:

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 9 votes
    18y

    Wow I am headed out with a wonderful start and bt what is posted here I haven't started my first quater yet. Oh yeah things are looking mighty good my friend mighty good indeed!

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2008 · 428 posts · 43 votes
    18y

    Looks like you're picking your self up after all the drama. I always figure if you made it once then you can make it again. The most important thing is not the money in your bank account it is the knowledge you possess to build it again.

  • Member since 2008 · 20 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Nothing can get you more motivated and looking forward for tomorrow then closing on real estate deals and watching your bank account grow.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    18y

    Hang in there buddy, you'll fare well.

    Get up dust yourself off and start again. You're young and sounds like your talented. You're probably in better shape than you give yourself credit for.

    Eventually you'll learn the contentment that springs up from the inside. Find something that you enjoy doing, then do it with all your might. Looks like you do great work!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Adam,
    I'll drop you a line on the phone tomorrow. I went through this same experience the year before last - 1 year before you did. I lost every dime I made, my credit, a ton of my income. Yep I pretty much went back to nothing. I'm on my way back from nothing and I'll be back to my pre-divorce financial level in about a year or so. I'm not going to paint a rosy picture for you though - it's a pain in the a--. It's tough work. The funny thing I'm learning though is that these anchors I feel on my legs right now aren't holding me back....they're making me stronger. Stronger for the future I have in front of me. I tell you man, knowing what I know now - when I get back to my pre-divorce financial status I'm going to kick some major butt because of what I've learned.

    The construction mgmt thing is a pretty good gig. I'm working on creating that here with some people I'm teaching REI to. Another thing that would be good for you there in Florida is insurance adjusting. It's a great state to be an adjuster in and the license is only about a grand for all the training. Again, we'll talk tomorrow and I'll give you what tips I can. Take care man.

    Tim

    (FYI - the financial side of things suck but if I can make one recommendation different subject you're now dealing with - REI clubs are a surprisingly GREAT place to meet women. :groovy: )

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.