Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Off Topic
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jose Munguia
Votes |
Im 16 and need help to plan or find a path

Jose Munguia
Posted

Hi am Jose im 16 from miami. I want to focus full time on something that'll help me support myself. I finished high school at 16 because of anxiety being around people and pursuing a bachelors in CS i started my first semester in january but i feel as if i'm wasting my time my classes are online so i sit on my computer all day i want to make a plan or find a path to follow so I'm not just running blindly one thing that has helped through depression is looking forward ive seen a few posts about real estate but am unsure since im 16 and my options are limited i got an opportunity to work as a application filer that pays 50 per application i feel as if i should take but am lost in what i should i do with the money. I am asking for advice or routes i should focus on so i can get out of college. I am committed to focusing on something that i know will bring me happiness and wealth since collage isn't doing it for me i have a lot of free time in my hands which makes me feel worse because i feel like i'm wasting my time not progressing. I would appreciate if someone could help me find a path that i can go for. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Real estate will bring you happiness if you enjoy eating the fruits of your labor. Keep in mind, those fruit take a long time to grow.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied

Well you have taken a good step by coming on the forums here. My advice is keep coming back on here and learning. You are here to pick up knowledge, which will eventually turn into money. You need to figure out your goals and see if RE is for you. You're only 16 so it is ok to be lost. I was in my 30s and still kind of lost till I found RE. I had a good job but wasn't remotely happy and felt like I was going nowhere in life. 

Since you're 16, try learning a few different things to see what you enjoy and can monetize. It is easier now than when you're 30 and have a mortgage, wife, kids, full time W-2 you don't like, etc.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

"I am committed to focusing on something that i know will bring me happiness and wealth" - You can't possibly know what that is yet. New experiences is the whole point of college, no? You're investing money into experiences, networks, new friends, and connections to great minds. You haven't received those benefits with 1 semester under your belt.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

1) Learn as much as you can, 2) Get to age 18 so you can legally own property, 3) Learn punctuation, it is a very important communication tool....

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied

Hey @Jose Munguia. I host a bi-weekly Zoom meeting for new/beginning investors who are between 15 and 25. It's a networking group, and we often have expert guests join our meetings. If you're interested, lmk.

Dan