Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Off Topic
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cody Marck
Votes |
Home value way under Mortgage

Cody Marck
Posted

Hello all, My parents own a home in New Richmond Ohio (in town) and owe almost 90,000 dollars on the mortgage after multiple cash out refinancing. What advice can I give them? The market there is red hot and I want to convince them to sell to a flipper but I’m not sure how to begin. If anyone has advice thanks for all support! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Cody Marck:

Hello all, My parents own a home in New Richmond Ohio (in town) and owe almost 90,000 dollars on the mortgage after multiple cash out refinancing. What advice can I give them?

------------------------------------------------------

Your post doesn't make any sense. Your heading is that the home's value is way under the value of the mortgage, and the balance of the mortgage is circa $90,000.

So your folks are under water by some unknown amount. That means they have to bring money to the table to close. No one, flipper or otherwise, would buy under such circumstances otherwise. It would be a rare situation where cosmetic repairs would take a house from under water to substantial equity. In that case your folks could fix and sell.

What are the terms of their mortgage? Low fixed interest rate? High variable rate? What did they do with the money?

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Fiore
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied

There are a lot of variables that go into this to find out the best options for your family. The beginning stages would be to get in touch with a real estate agent to get their opinion on the property and price. That way you know exactly how much the property may sell for and go from there. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes