Psychotherapists Can Be Investors Too!

Psychotherapists Can Be Investors Too!

Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 8 votes

Hi BP Community! I am a psychotherapist who wants to do less analyzing people and more analyzing deals. I love my work but I don't want to exchange hours for dollars forever and I currently have no retirement funds. I feel a lot of passion for real estate and in February I'll have saved $40K with good credit and good monthly income and ready to make my first move. My issue is that I live in the SF Bay Area (very expensive) and I'm here for the next three years until my daughter graduates high school. 

I'm wondering what you all think in terms of my first step. I am currently renting (for $3K a month - yikes!!!) so I'm thinking of buying a SFH in the spring for $650K with 5% down FHA loan. I would house hack but that's very difficult here because of the insane prices. I'm wondering, however, if that's my best first move, or if it makes more sense to keep renting and spend my $40K savings on a deposit for a triplex or quad in a place like Cincinnati where it's much more affordable and up-and-coming?

If I buy a home, it'll take me another year and a half to save to invest in a multi-family property, which is what I'm interested in. But if I buy the multi, I'm throwing out money on rent. I hear that short-term rentals are also a good option for cash flow, but that feels more intimidating to me for some reason. 

Anyway, that's my intro! Happy to be here, listening to the podcasts all the time, reading the books, trying to learn as much as I can and eager to build wealth and create a new financial story for me and my daughter. I'm 45 and late to the game but I am biased toward action, very self-disciplined, and highly motivated to build a better future. Also would love to connect with anyone who is also passionate and driven to make things happen and talk real estate!

4Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael CravenPro Member
Investor · Springfield, OH · Member since 2017 · 202 posts · 150 votes
4y

@Karen Gordon Welcome to the real estate world! I’d love to help a fellow therapist out (although I moved to the academic side of things). You may consider house hacking in the area before jumping into out of state investing. It’s not impossible but can be challenging to start out of state. I’d definitely recommend focusing on building a team (Realtor, lender, property manager, handyman etc). I am a newer realtor in the Cincy area, but I’d love to help you out in anyway I can. Let me know and good luck jumping in!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael CravenPro Member
    Investor · Springfield, OH · Member since 2017 · 202 posts · 150 votes
    4y

    @Karen Gordon Welcome to the real estate world! I’d love to help a fellow therapist out (although I moved to the academic side of things). You may consider house hacking in the area before jumping into out of state investing. It’s not impossible but can be challenging to start out of state. I’d definitely recommend focusing on building a team (Realtor, lender, property manager, handyman etc). I am a newer realtor in the Cincy area, but I’d love to help you out in anyway I can. Let me know and good luck jumping in!

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    4y

    @Karen Gordon, welcome to the BP community! Wishing you the best of luck

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Thank you for introducing yourself, Karen! You found the right place for information.

    Wishing you the best and plenty of success!

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Karen Gordon

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    If you are looking to invest into real estate, I have found this site to be incredibly helpful.

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides


    Alerts can be really helpful too: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Property Manager · Member since 2021 · 59 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    @Karen Gordon Welcome to BP! Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    Reach out to @Shiloh Lundahl ; he's a psychologist/therapist turned investor. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    thank you all for the welcome! @JD Martin thank you for telling me about @Shiloh Lundahl - i will definitely look into connecting with him. i think psychotherapist-investors are probably a rare breed! :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.