New to Real Estate. RE Agent or Wholesaler??

New to Real Estate. RE Agent or Wholesaler??

Contractor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hi Everyone!

My name is Tyler and I recently moved to Charlotte, NC. I’ve always had an interest in real estate but more than lately I can myself being pulled in this direction.

I have a sales/entrepreneur background having worked in the solar industry but have found this to be boring after a while.

I’m considering making a switch in careers to become an agent primarily focusing on house hacking and investment properties for my clients.

OR

I’ve also considering wholesaling as a career.

Just wanted to reach out, introduce myself, and see what are your guys thoughts and why would you choose one over the other

1Reply
10 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hi @Tyler Simpson welcome to Bigger Pockets. Being an agent is fun, I love it. 

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hey Tyler. Welcome to BiggerPockets !

    Great to have you here in BP site!  There are a lot of information available for your successful journey as Real Estate agent and investor. Just keep on learning, connecting and building your network here in BiggerPockets. I am sharing with you some basic tips for your study:

            1. Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

            2. Attend the FREE WEBINARS

            3. Attend a Meetup in Your Area

            4. Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy

            5. Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer Questions!

    Good luck in your journey as REI investor and see you around the forums!

    Best regards,

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    I think getting some education as an investor whether that being in flipping or buy and hold will be key if you want to go the agent route.  If you have a lot of renovation experience outside of solar installation that will help.  Getting property management experience will help as well.  If you haven't done it before its going to be hard to analyze deals and be an investors agent.  

  • Laura ShinklePro Member
    Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 357 posts · 292 votes
    6y

    Hi @Tyler Simpson, welcome to Charlotte! I obviously chose the agent route, so I'll only speak to that. I wanted to do real estate full time, get educated about all aspects and provide value to my clients in guiding them through the process. When I bought my first home, the agent I had didn't really educate me, just told me what to do and so many things could've gone wrong. I wanted to be that advisor and educator for people, helping them feel comfortable with homeownership and investing. 

    There are also a lot of different avenues you can take as an agent. (new construction, general sales, commercial, property management, etc). Even though about half my clients are investors, I do also enjoy working with other sellers and buyers. Everyone's circumstance is unique so it keeps me on my toes.

    Not sure how helpful that was, but just my two cents! Good luck and let me know if I can help any further or if you have a specific question about the business!

  • Lien VuongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    If you're willing to do the work of a wholesaler, might as well get paid as an agent. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Tyler Simpson

    Welcome to BP. Just like you, am new to real estate investment. This forum is very helpful

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Tyler Simpson I would recommend going the agent route, especially if you have sales experience.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Terrance ClarkPro Member
    Real Estate Professional · Hickory, NC · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 45 votes
    6y

    Hey Tyler,

    I am an investor-focused realtor. A 3rd Generation investor that holds real estate license. I am carving out a niche to be the go-to for investors both new and seasoned. 

  • Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2012 · 554 posts · 232 votes
    6y

    If you want to be a long-term professional in real estate I'd recommend getting licensed. It can only help you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.