Checking in from Iceland

Checking in from Iceland

Reykjavík, Iceland · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 13 votes

Hello. I'm Jónas Tryggvi Stefánsson, from the capital region of Iceland.

I'm a computer scientist by trade since 2013, when I obtained my bachelor degree, and work as a software developer in a bank in the capital, Reykjavík.

Ever since I came across the Millionaire Fastlane by MJ Demarco a few years ago I've been fascinated by entrepreneurship and the idea of working hard now for multiple streams of income, automation and eventual passive income as a fruit of the hard labour. I've consumed countless books related to the topic and I've shaped my mind by various sources, while trying to avoid gurus without a track record. 

While I have a nice job I like the idea of not being reliant on it. One of my big goals is to provide a service online for a lot of people, effectively providing a lot of value in exchange for a small fee. 

I intend to implement this plan but I've come across real estate investing as a potential stream on top of the current plan and the current day job.

I'm seriously looking into investing into a duplex, potentially with a friend of mine who's a handyman. We happen to have access to a mentor who's a seasoned veteran in the field and has already taught us a lot. Nothing official has happened yet but these are my first steps and we are actively looking for our first deal.

I've done my fair share of studying in the topic of real estate investing already, as I like to be prepared. I came across the bigger pockets forum after reading Brandon Turner's book on rental property investing. I've also read his book on managing rental properties and watched a couple of PB webinars. Finally I've read the ABCs of real estate investing by Ken McElroy and I'm in the final chapters of Mark Ferguson's "Build a Rental Property Empire".

At last I've analysed a few actual properties to estimate their profitability, I.e. by looking at variables such as the cashflow, CoCROI, debt to income ratio, operating expense ratio and the rent to price ratio to get a grasp of which properties have a potential. 

My problem in the past has been analysis paralysis. I Intend to start implementing. Having a partner who I trust and has skills and the ability to keep me (us) accountable is helping alresdy. The forum is also already helping me in taking the first steps. Thanks a lot so far and hopefully I'll be able to provide some value back in the future.

Cheers!

0Reply
19 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    6y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Good luck going forward! I can relate to your analysis paralysis. It took me 2 years to make the commitment. Each of us have to decide when to make the jump, but for me it was a great moment to say I am in the game. I am still learn and that is exciting. Hope the best for you going forward!

    Podcast: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    Wrbinars: https://www.biggerpockets.com/webinars

    Glossary: https://www.biggerpockets.com/rei/glossary
    @David Greene and @Brandon Turner has some good ones.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bucks county, PA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    OMG Drengur. Datt i hug að skrifa Iceland í search og þetta kom mjög skemmtilega á óvart!

    Ég bý sjálfur í Bucks county í Pennsylvaníu, er kominn með græna kortið og í ferli að verða ríkisborgari. Ég á núna 10 mánaða gamalt barn með bandarískri eiginkonu minni og var að festa kaup á leiguíbúð þann 17. febrúar í 30 mínútna akstursfjarlægðð frá mér! Nú blasa við fjórir til fimm mánuðir af viðgerðum svo ég get fengið leigjanda og endurfjármagnað íbúðina. 

    Hvernig vegnar þér með fasteignadrauminn? Ertu búinn að ná eignarhaldi á leiguhúsnæði? Ég er gríðarlega forvitinn að sjá hvernig BRRRR ferlið virkar á Íslandi og hlakka til að verða fasteignafjárfestir í heimalandinu. Gangi þér sem allra best!

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jónas Tryggvi Stefánsson Take the plunge on a low maintenance low risk low reward property. What area are you looking at investing? I M not familiar with Iceland or their laws.

  • Reykjavík, Iceland · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Alex Olson No worries. I'm looking into the capital region where I live. I'll take that into consideration.

  • Reykjavík, Iceland · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Petur Karlsson Snilld. Gangi þér rosalega vel. Mér sýnist markaðarinn bara vera eins og á flestum höfuðborgarsvæðum; há verð sem er erfitt að leigja hátt út í hlutfalli við kaupverð en sé nokkrar eignir sem er hægt að breyta í góðan díl með því að umturna aðeins eignunum sjálfum og fjölga íbúðum/herbergjum innan eignar til þess að auka NOI og ná COCROI yfir 10% í sumum tilfellum.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Hi Jónas,

    One of they keys is to have your bank financing lined up. Which should be easy since you work for the bank. Perhaps they offer employees a special discount on loan fees.

    Also since the market appears to be in the main area of the city, knowing the current vacancy rates and time on market (as they change) for the different neighborhoods of this main area would be a good thing. You can get that from a real estate agent.

    There are some beautiful areas in Reykjavík.

    Good Luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.