New to Bigger Pockets and New to Real Estate

New to Bigger Pockets and New to Real Estate

Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 10 votes

Hello everybody! 

I'm new to the Bigger Pockets community and I'm glad I found you guys! I graduated from college last year and interested in getting into real estate. I don't have any property's right now - saving up some money for my downpayment. I'm looking to purchase my first property within the next year. This will give me plenty of time to save up a good chunk of money and get my credit pretty high. 

I'm based in Dallas, Texas so ideally my plan is to purchase my first property in the DFW area. As a first time investor, I know I have a lot to learn. But if you guys can send some knowledge my way of what a first time real estate investor needs to know it'll be greatly appreciated. My plan is to get either a SF or MF property to start with. I know Texas has a pretty good program when it comes to first time home buyers. 

I'm in complete sponge mode at the moment so if anybody located in the DFW would be willing to meet up and share knowledge with me it'd be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! 

1Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

@Alex Miller learning the math is the most important part.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Alex Miller learning the math is the most important part.

  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    7y

    @Alex Miller. Welcome! Start researching areas and price points- see what money can buy you. Decide if you want to do work or want turnkey. You got this!

  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    7y

    @Alex Miller, welcome to Bigger Pockets. Learn as much as you can for free from this site. Good luck on your real estate journey. 

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Aaron K.:

    @Alex Miller learning the math is the most important part.

    This is what I've been hearing. Any resources you care to point me to?

    Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lucia Rushton:

    @Alex Miller. Welcome! Start researching areas and price points- see what money can buy you. Decide if you want to do work or want turnkey. You got this!

    Thank you! I'm definitely aiming for turnkey, especially for my first property!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bill Hampton:

    @Alex Miller, welcome to Bigger Pockets. Learn as much as you can for free from this site. Good luck on your real estate journey. 

    Thanks for your kind words! Can't wait to get in the game.  

  • Santo Domingo · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Welcome brotha, welcome to journey to financial freedom.

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    7y

    @Alex Miller,

    Go into the education, then Guides section of this website. Read The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing. I read it, and I recall it was pretty good.

    Do some research. There are a million ways to invest in real estate. Find out what calls to you, and what works given what you can put in to this (time, money, and/or effort).

    Once you figure out what works for you, dive in and don’t look back.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alex Miller:

    Hello everybody! 

    I'm new to the Bigger Pockets community and I'm glad I found you guys! I graduated from college last year and interested in getting into real estate. I don't have any property's right now - saving up some money for my downpayment. I'm looking to purchase my first property within the next year. This will give me plenty of time to save up a good chunk of money and get my credit pretty high. 

    I'm based in Dallas, Texas so ideally my plan is to purchase my first property in the DFW area. As a first time investor, I know I have a lot to learn. But if you guys can send some knowledge my way of what a first time real estate investor needs to know it'll be greatly appreciated. My plan is to get either a SF or MF property to start with. I know Texas has a pretty good program when it comes to first time home buyers. 

    I'm in complete sponge mode at the moment so if anybody located in the DFW would be willing to meet up and share knowledge with me it'd be greatly appreciated. 

    Thank you! 

     Welcome to the site Alex.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Pierce Gwinn:

    Welcome brotha, welcome to journey to financial freedom.

    Thanks, looking forward to it!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Barry Pekin:

    @Alex Miller,

    Go into the education, then Guides section of this website. Read The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing. I read it, and I recall it was pretty good.

    Do some research. There are a million ways to invest in real estate. Find out what calls to you, and what works given what you can put in to this (time, money, and/or effort).

    Once you figure out what works for you, dive in and don’t look back.

    Barry, thanks for the direction!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Alex Miller:

    Hello everybody! 

    I'm new to the Bigger Pockets community and I'm glad I found you guys! I graduated from college last year and interested in getting into real estate. I don't have any property's right now - saving up some money for my downpayment. I'm looking to purchase my first property within the next year. This will give me plenty of time to save up a good chunk of money and get my credit pretty high. 

    I'm based in Dallas, Texas so ideally my plan is to purchase my first property in the DFW area. As a first time investor, I know I have a lot to learn. But if you guys can send some knowledge my way of what a first time real estate investor needs to know it'll be greatly appreciated. My plan is to get either a SF or MF property to start with. I know Texas has a pretty good program when it comes to first time home buyers. 

    I'm in complete sponge mode at the moment so if anybody located in the DFW would be willing to meet up and share knowledge with me it'd be greatly appreciated. 

    Thank you! 

     Welcome to the site Alex.

    Thanks boss!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.