Starting out: considering moving to Dallas

Starting out: considering moving to Dallas

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hi all,


preface: 

I work in the film industry in LA. I make a pretty comfortable living and I can do my job from anywhere in the world as a designer and still make the same income which is a blessing. Heck, we could move to Tahiti, but we want to move to a place that has opportunity for growth in real estate investing. My wife and I are tired of LA's pricetags on rentals, real estate, food, etc. I only ended up here due to college, but nothing holds us here now. No matter where we look in SoCal, everything's blown out of proportion. So with our first kid on the way, we thought; hey, we don't even have to live here! Why didn't we think of this sooner, and why not move to an area with more opportunity to begin our real estate investing journey?

I have been researching and reading everything I can get my hands on about real estate, money, and mindset in general. I finally feel ready, as I am at the cusp of paying off all my student debt and other mistakes of my early 20s, and cultivating good behaviors of savings, watching my budgets, etc, mentally undoing years of bad habits developed from financially unsound parents(not meant in a negative way).

We want to buy a 4plex, live in one unit, house-hack, and do the whole deal. I hope to escalate that into a snowball that builds into bigger properties in a few years if the universe smiles on us.

 We've been analyzing deals and feel that we have a pretty good handle/baseline to analyze a deal instead of feeling like we're gambling. Now we just need to go to the school of hard knocks and actually do a deal and truly learn the hard way! And we're very excited about that.

The big question:

All that to say, we have been looking into Dallas to start our lives anew. I can see that the prices are all over the place and not a whole lot cheaper. I know that the price tag isn't everything on a property, and you must "make a deal", which I plan to do no matter what by employing all the techniques of marketing, real estate meetings, networking, etc. 

But Lindhall's book also discusses points in which a market becomes over saturated in cycles. Where you must get out at the peak rather than at the bottom. And I know this is a loaded topic and heated discussions begin around this. I've been hearing of DFW for years. It's been one of the fastest growing markets for a few years now. And just surfing zillow and browsing rental prices, it seems it's getting up there in the price tag. Do you guys think it's nearing a peak?

And this is just an open question, so please don't poop on me. If you could move anywhere in the states while not having to worry about income to begin your real estate career from a completely clean slate, where do you think you'd go? All the various markets everywhere are overwhelming. I am doing my due diligence, but curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Perhaps a better question to ask is: what are the right questions I should be asking myself?

I am unsure of how saturated the market is with the hordes of skyscraping apartment buildings under construction/coming online now and in a few years that may slow down the progress everyone has been writing about online the past year or two. Does anyone have helpful links to be able to view this stuff?

We're also just curious to hear everyone's thoughts, and hear any words of wisdom.

p.s. We also chose Texas because of no income tax. It will help in our FIRE savings rate to move to a state that doesn't have this. Nevada was too hot, and Oregon too cold. Texas feels perfect.

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
7y

@Annis Naeem. When we moved here in 2016 and didn't know where to live - we were literally looking west east and north Dallas. What I found interesting was the rental for an apartment was the same as a SFH. I had never seen that before.

Certain areas are hotter rental markets ( in my opinion) but there are not a lot of 2-4 units. Lots of apartment complexes and more being built every day.

I do worry because I continue to see so much new construction, residential retail and commercial. Plus every highway is under construction and it’s been that way for several years.

Certain industries it’s hard to find qualified candidates so there is a shortage of good applicants ( in certain industries).

If you are considering a move, I would take 3-4 days and come visit. Just drive around, it’s different from Cali ( I was born and raised there).

Reach out if you have any questions.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Annis Naeem

    I don’t have links but just personal anecdotes from being a resident.

    It is very challenging to get multi family units here. They often never make it to market and the rents you can get vs the monthly payments are hard to make work (especially because property taxes are insane) The market is very saturated with apt rentals which is pushing rental prices down.

    I’ve yet to do a deal. I haven’t found one that’s worked, I have cash, ready to go, but can’t seem to find anything that I’m willing to jump in on.

  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    7y

    @Annis Naeem. When we moved here in 2016 and didn't know where to live - we were literally looking west east and north Dallas. What I found interesting was the rental for an apartment was the same as a SFH. I had never seen that before.

    Certain areas are hotter rental markets ( in my opinion) but there are not a lot of 2-4 units. Lots of apartment complexes and more being built every day.

    I do worry because I continue to see so much new construction, residential retail and commercial. Plus every highway is under construction and it’s been that way for several years.

    Certain industries it’s hard to find qualified candidates so there is a shortage of good applicants ( in certain industries).

    If you are considering a move, I would take 3-4 days and come visit. Just drive around, it’s different from Cali ( I was born and raised there).

    Reach out if you have any questions.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Hello Annis.  I have worked in the film industry also!  As has my sister.  Not a lot of work in that field (tv & movies) in Dallas, but lots of commercials.  I, too, have been searching for an investment property in the Dallas area for the last year or so. Dallas real estate has absolutely sky-rocketed over the last 10 years.  The home we bought in 2005 for $192,000 is now worth $395,000, at least!  As a single family rental, we could probably only get $2500 - $3000 if we rented it out, which will be great for us if we decide to do that because of the purchase price, but would not work at all if we were buying now.  That said, there are finds, depending what you are looking for, if you have a good agent who notifies you as soon as they hit the market, and - if you are willing to live there, you are also willing to be somewhat of an urban pioneer.  Here's the thing - Dallas's growth is not stopping! Newer rehabs and builds are now happening in areas of the city that no one would touch 10 years ago (west Dallas, just west of I-35, especially closer to downtown; the "Farmers Market" district, just south of downtown and east of the Cedars neighborhood.  Those areas have been crime-ridden in the past, have lots of run down looking places and have been very poor. But builders are moving in slowly and there are still opportunities open for those who are willing to take the risk and wait it out for a few years.  They WILL absolutely become viable neighborhoods because there is nowhere else to go in Dallas unless you move to the suburbs!  The growth is good on one hand, but it is also sad, because this growth is pushing lower-income families out of these neighborhoods and the city is trying to figure out how to address that. 

    As far as duplexes or maybe four-plexes, you might see something in an area like this that would work:  https://www.trulia.com/p/tx/dallas/4707-junius-st-dallas-tx-75246--1150721864

    Just saw this and you can not go wrong in this area!!!!  https://www.trulia.com/p/tx/dallas/819-n-marsalis-ave-dallas-tx-75203--1005911092 This will sell fast,  I'm sure!

    If you're open to Arlington, it is growing fast, as is Ft. Worth.  East Ft. Worth has some great houses, great vibes, more laid back than Dallas and way cheaper!  Also growing!

    Good luck.  Let me know if I can help by answering any questions.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Mike DePaola Thank you very much. That's good info.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Lucia Rushton Thank you for that info. It's really helpful. That's what I noticed as well while surfing zillow. The rents are higher than some of the single family homes for sale there, both of which are decent places to live. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Game plan from someone who's done it:  go to (Dallas) and rent a place.  Get to know the area, investigate soak it up.  If after a few months you feel at home, then go for it.

    Jump into a place to live and invest before you really know the area?  Mmmm, not for me.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Rachel Deering  Great to see another film industry person on here. I figured there was no work there for film. I did work in New Orleans for a bit and met some Texans that came to New Orleans a few months of the year.

    My approach is to simply work from home/freelance and try to sustain that. Just from no income tax alone in Texas, the first year of savings would be significant.

    That's all very helpful information! That's a stunning multifamily you just posted. I may reach out if we decide to pull the trigger on moving out there if you don't mind.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Marc Winter :) Of course. I agree with what you said. That's our plan. We are trying to get a pulse on people's opinions about the market before buying our first round flights to visit, and ultimately rent, etc. Thank you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    All good information here!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    I did find this for anyone else that may be curious. It’s got some good info. The actual website is password protected but this report is not, for some reason. https://assets.recenter.tamu.edu/Documents/MktResearch/DFW_CBRE_Multifamily_MarketView.pdf

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.