Long-time wannabe RE investor - first deal done!

Long-time wannabe RE investor - first deal done!

Rental Property Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 14 votes

I've been fascinated by real estate investing since Rich Dad, Poor Dad came out.  However, I've been standing on the sidelines for far too long - time to make it happen.

I am a lawyer by training, and spent some time as an Air Force Judge Advocate or "JAG" (a military lawyer, for those who haven't seen the TV show), and transitioned into the federal government in the field of information privacy/security.  At present, I have the luxury of a spouse who makes a very good living, and am taking the time I should have taken earlier to educate myself about real estate investing and developing a business plan to achieve our goals.

Our goal is to be financially free in 10 years.  I'm not sure what that will take at this point, but in a few years both of our daughters will be done with college and off the payroll (with any luck :)).  A move to a lower-cost area is a virtual certainty, but for now we enjoy living in Napa.  Nonetheless, I am looking to invest out-of-state, preferably in areas where we could eventually move a few years from now.  We moved up to the Bay Area from Tucson, AZ, where we lived for 13 years.  We rented our Tucson house for a few years, but recently sold it and have just purchased a small multi-unit there, sight unseen.  This has been a gut-check for me, but I'm ready to take the journey, ups and downs included!

At this point, I think my ultimate goal is to get into small apartment buildings (<50 units), building up from SFR and small MFRs. Of course, having just turned 52, I'd like to move faster rather than slower, but I know I have lots to learn. I'm hoping to shorten that learning process by participating in this amazing community, and giving whatever I can to help my fellow members.

This is an exciting day!

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

@Greg Foley welcome to BP and good luck with your plan.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Greg Foley welcome to BP and good luck with your plan.

  • Rental Property Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Ned Carey!  I appreciate your encouragement.

  • Rental Property Investor · Carlisle, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    7y

    @Greg Foley, welcome to BP.  Great start already so I hope it continues for you.  Good luck moving forward!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Kevin Hunter, I appreciate the reception!

  • Rental Property Investor · Sykesville, MD · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Greg Foley congratulations getting started and best of luck working your financial freedom plan!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.