Newbie from Dallas/Fort Worth area

Newbie from Dallas/Fort Worth area

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes

Hi guys. My name is Brian and I am from Arlington, Texas. I work as a geotechnical engineer by day and am just starting to accumulate enough savings to jump into my first buy and hold deal.

I have already read many topics at Bigger Pockets and am already using the 50 percent rule to make cursory analyses of properties in which I might be interested. It seams there are enough deals that meet minimum general criteria.

I will be looking to finance a deal. From my research (e.g. looking at listings on-line and in person, speaking with lenders and my agent and perusing BP) it appears that the minimum cash requirement to get into a good deal is about $20K.

I have come to this conclusion for properties ranging from 40-60K. The more expensive properties require bigger DP and the cheaper properties require more rehab. All end up with about 3 to 4K in closing costs - if they are repos.

I currently have 12K at my disposal to acquire property and to have a safety net. So, since my comfort level lies with a 3K safety net, that only leaves me with 9K to work with. That amount money seams to limit me to Fannie Mae foreclosures (10 percent down as opposed to 20) in good shape for about 40-50K.

Until I have more money accumulated (it takes me about a month to save $1000) are there any other strategies that you guys recommend? Bear in mind I have a day job and am limited to evenings and weekends for boots-on-the-ground stuff. Any advice is greatly appreciated! If any DFW investors want to point out some of the best areas/neighborhoods to search, I would be much obliged.

I know this post is getting long, but I have another question. I recently came across a deal that fits my budget (above). The problem is that the neighborhood is squeaky clean, but about 70 percent of the houses have bars on their windows. The asking price is 40K and rent comps are about 850/month. Taxes and insurance would be about 2000/year. My agent advised against it based on the neighborhood, but the hood doesn't seam bad except for the bars on all the windows and doors. There are no foundations issues, no cracks in the brick or sheet rock, which is rare in the DFW metroplex in my price range(I am sure DFW investors would witness for me on that one). So, basically, my tenant quality would not be as good and the resale wouldn't be very good (estimate break-even). Bu I am anxious to get something that will generate some money so I can increase my rate of savings for the next one. All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
15y

Sounds like you have a great agent guiding you. 2/1's are plentiful but families won't rent them in my area. I do have 3/1's and 3/2's. Families do prefer the extra bathroom but it may not be a deal breaker if it has other advantages, location, garage, lower rent rate, etc.

White Settlement and the area south of I-30 are OK rental areas. There are pockets around that area that have some drug/party problems but I don't believe it is widespread there.

Further west, you get close to Weatherford and Parker county. Weatherford is booming. That growth has lead to traffic problems. I know they plan to fix it, but the construction is going to be difficult to manage for a while.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Riverview, FL · Member since 2011 · 100 posts · 33 votes
    15y

    Welcome to BP Brian. I will let others from DFW comment on your chosen deal. Bars on windows and doors scare me especially when every house has them.

    As for your drive and planning, you are making the right step at the right time. Invest in RE when you have the $$. Don't try to time it.

    Mike P.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Welcome to BP Brian! You may look into subject-to purchases as a way to limit your cash invested. That is how I got started buying property.

    The west side of Ft Worth has some inexpensive rentals in nice locations. You may try looking there.

  • Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes
    15y

    Brian, congrats on taking the first step. As a local that's been shopping this market for the last decade perhaps I can help.

    With a $12K budget you don't need to limit yourself to deals in the hood. As you mentioned there is Homepath 10% financing out there and plenty of Homepath properties in DFW (I wouldn't say equity deals but sometimes you have just got to buy on terms).

    Early last year I picked up a $160K house in a brand new subdivision in McKinney. I invested $8K total in it. I only get $176 cashflow (not including maintenance and vacancy - Eeek!) which is way tight I know. But I only have the one like this.

    It also has $211 principle paydown and so far (18 months) I have had 0 vacancies and 0 repairs. It is a brand new home and my tenant makes $330K/year so I never have a problem collecting the rent. Which with lower income housing will give you grey hairs quick.

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    15y

    Welcome to BP neighbor. I wish you well on your ventures.

    I wouldn't buy any rental properties where all of the units already have bars on the windows. It may be clean but there is something you don't know about the neighborhood that the residents do.

    Also, don't be so impatient to get in on the game that you do a bad deal. It will be tough to recover from a bad first deal and it will slow your growth down.

    Good luck.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    Welcome to BP Nation Brian, great to have you engage in conversations here. We wish you well in your RE dealings.

    As to which strategies you can use to increase capital or reduce necessary capital needed, you can either try to flip a few properties to build capital and you can also market to motivated home sellers and try negotiating deals which you can get with sub2, assignment clauses, or many other creative techniques.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    15y

    Wow! Thank you for the warm welcome. I recognize most of you from other helpful threads I have followed to augment my knowledge.

    All,I need the encouragement to be patient as this has been a long time goal of mine and now that I am close it is tough not to settle for something just for the sake of doing it. I do NOT want to make that mistake. So thank you for your positive reinforcement.

    Bryan, I lived in Austin for 15 years before I moved to Arlington 2.5 years ago. I am sure you are enjoying Austin. When you say west Fort Worth, would you be referencing White Settlement or River Oaks? Or am I getting farther west than you are thinking.

    Bryan and Will, although familiar with some of the conventional/traditional methods of bank financing, I am not very sophisticated in the realm of financing. Could you direct me to a good source that explains sub-to financing. I have never heard of it before.

    Robert and Greg, very nice to have some local support. I have many questions now and some that I am sure will come up later you may be able to help me with or maybe just tell me I am concentrating on the wrong thing. For instance, my agent discourages me from considering anything less than a 3 bed 2 bath. Her concern is that anything less will attract non-family tenants that will tend to be less stable than family tenants. She also considers the exit strategy to be a little more advantaged than, say, a 3 bed 1 bath. I tend to agree with her logic, but don't know for sure. What are your thoughts on this? There seams to be a lot more deals if I am willing to sacrifice the extra bathroom and/or bedroom. It is down right tough to find a 3/2 in my range (40-60K) in a decent neighborhood that doesn't involve a garage conversion and/or repairs that require more cash than I have(I really don't like garage conversions). I suppose the deal is harder to find because it is better and there is more competition... My priority is not in exit strategy, but it would be prudent to have a good one. To be sure, SFH is the route I am pursuing until I gain some experience with handling tenants and rental units.

    Thanks again for all your feed back. I am actually really exited to finally start engaging here and getting feedback.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Brian Hoyt:

    Bryan, I lived in Austin for 15 years before I moved to Arlington 2.5 years ago. I am sure you are enjoying Austin. When you say west Fort Worth, would you be referencing White Settlement or River Oaks? Or am I getting farther west than you are thinking.

    I have lived in Austin my whole life except for 4 years in Ft Worth. It is the best city in The States right now...and will grow a ton in the next decade.

    The White Settlement AREA is good...not some of the property on White Settlement ;-)

    Originally posted by Brian Hoyt:

    Bryan and Will, although familiar with some of the conventional/traditional methods of bank financing, I am not very sophisticated in the realm of financing. Could you direct me to a good source that explains sub-to financing. I have never heard of it before.

    BP has many good threads, but William Tingle's articles and site are the best IMO. Search BP and Google Tingle's name.
  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    15y

    Sounds like you have a great agent guiding you. 2/1's are plentiful but families won't rent them in my area. I do have 3/1's and 3/2's. Families do prefer the extra bathroom but it may not be a deal breaker if it has other advantages, location, garage, lower rent rate, etc.

    White Settlement and the area south of I-30 are OK rental areas. There are pockets around that area that have some drug/party problems but I don't believe it is widespread there.

    Further west, you get close to Weatherford and Parker county. Weatherford is booming. That growth has lead to traffic problems. I know they plan to fix it, but the construction is going to be difficult to manage for a while.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Weatherford will also have many Lockheed Martin workers...with stable jobs on the JSF program. That is...unless defense programs get gutted by Congress.

    I own property near Weatherford and it stays rented.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    15y

    My agent has been great. She is very unselfish and wants to show me the ropes for renting my units once I get them including setting up Section 8 if I so desire. She has encouraged me to manage my own properties rather than hire it out. She just has a real passion for landlording. A lender I called at random referred my to her. She has 20+ properties and has shared details of the last three properties she has acquired since I have started working with her (about 3 months). She is in a place where her investments appear to be shifting into the next gear and she is pretty much all cash now.

    I will start looking more heavily into Fort Worth. I am generally more comfortable with Tarrant County than Dallas County, I guess because I live in Arlington. I office in Dallas but will soon office in Fort Worth, so I will have a closer physical proximity to Fort Worth properties in general. I haven't looked too much in Weatherford. Most properties I have seen there tend to be a little higher than my range or mobile homes. I will keep looking, though.

    Greg, I just finished watching your interview with Josh Dorkin about local bank financing. Good information. I perused your website as well. I like the blacklist page you have dedicated to dead beat tenants. I'll make sure to check that when I screen my tenants. Maybe Bigger Pockets could open a list organized by state to drop names into that members could check...Don't know the legal ramifications of that....I'll keep my ideas to myself until I get some real experience under my belt.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Edward (Jerry) Puckett (sp?) hasn't posted much lately, but he wholesales property in DFW. You should try PMing him.

    If you find anything you like and can't fund it feel free to contact me. I would like to pick up a few more SFR rentals later this year if they operate well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.