Newbie from overseas (but looking at MSP, Minnesota)

Newbie from overseas (but looking at MSP, Minnesota)

Overseas · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes

Hello everyone,

I'm writing from Africa where I have been working for the last three years. I've been listening to the BP podcasts and reading articles on the site and thought it's about time to introduce myself.

I'm interesting in renting out multi-family properties and (since I live overseas) using a property manager. I've been looking at duplexes for about the last year, but think I need to finally jump in and make my first purchase. I've been focusing my search mostly in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota area. Ideally, I would like to house hack, but instead of living there permanently, use one half of the duplex for a summer "vacation home" for when I return from overseas for leave. Ultimately, I'd like to accumulate multiple properties to provide enough cash flow to retire and dedicate my time to my hobbies (e.g. opening a microbrewery!). 

I've been reading about cap rate, and cash on cash calculations, the 1% rule, and assuming I need to say things like "super cool" based on listening to the podcast. I'm also in my early 40's, which seems to be on the older side compared to many of you who are getting a jump on this much younger.

I'm open to any advice, suggestions, or tips that you may have. Immediately useful tips would be on topics such as:

  - Searching for and purchasing properties site unseen from afar

  - Best way to incorporate using a property manager into cash flow calculations

Thanks, David

2Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@David Boley

Welcome to BP. The market in our area has been pretty competitive the last couple years, investing from afar will be easier if you can setup a team of people you can trust. If you aren't going to live in the property I don't think you will be able to get in with a FHA or low down payment conventional loan but I would connect with @Tim Swierczek and discuss what your options are.  He invests in RE himself and is a local financing expert who has helped many investors in your position.

@Amber Gonion would be a good property manager to connect with.  Her and her husband personally invest in the areas you are looking into and they also manage properties for other investors in the area.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @David Boley

    Welcome to BP. The market in our area has been pretty competitive the last couple years, investing from afar will be easier if you can setup a team of people you can trust. If you aren't going to live in the property I don't think you will be able to get in with a FHA or low down payment conventional loan but I would connect with @Tim Swierczek and discuss what your options are.  He invests in RE himself and is a local financing expert who has helped many investors in your position.

    @Amber Gonion would be a good property manager to connect with.  Her and her husband personally invest in the areas you are looking into and they also manage properties for other investors in the area.

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
    8y

    Welcome @David Boley, just curious, why Minneapolis? And I agree with John, it's all about the great team of people!

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    David Boley I’ve purchased properties sight unseen from afar and have always used a realtor and a trusted friend or family member to evaluate the places. BP has rental property calculators where you can factor in a normal 10% property management fee which makes it easy!
  • Overseas · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @John Woodrich Thanks for the recommendations and welcome. I hear you about the MSP market. From afar, I check out properties online or from the listings a local realtor sends me. By the time I think I want to go to the next step, the property is sold! I should look into the FHA more closely to be sure about not qualifying. The lower downpayment I can make, the more quickly I can move on to my next property.

  • Overseas · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    Thank you for the welcome! I chose Minneapolis because I'm sure to stop there on every trip back to the U.S. to see family/friends. That way I can check up on the property, or look for new deals. I suppose if there is a better market somewhere else where I could find a good team, I could be persuaded.

  • Overseas · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Moorhead

    Thanks for the message, Jordan. That's good to hear that you've had success with purchasing property sight unseen. I read a BP article that stated something similar, that trusting your agent and inspector will likely tell you more than you can see for yourself. I'll look into the BP rental calculators. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.