New Investor and soon-to-be Agent from Atlanta

New Investor and soon-to-be Agent from Atlanta

Real Estate Agent · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I am an aspiring real estate investor with very little experience. I currently live in north Atlanta and am working a full time job in midtown. My wife and I have done one investment deal with my father, a fix and hold that we lived in for a couple years and have since rented out for the past 3 years. We are currently reading and studying to become better investors and would like to start doing more deals in the very near future.

I am halfway through a real estate pre-license course and hope to get off to a fast start and transition into full-time real estate sales in the next few months. My goal is to increase my income in the short term while also learning and networking as much as possible so I can become a more successful investor. I would like to learn as much as I can about investing so I can efficiently find good deals and be a go-to agent for other investors.

My wife and I are considering joining the Atlanta REIA. If you are a member of this group and can tell me anything about your experiences and whether you find your membership valuable or not, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I don't have anyone referring me to join at this point. Thank you in advance for your feedback and insight.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes
9y

Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Jeremy Densmore! I am a member of the Atlanta REIA but to be perfectly honest, I find Bigger Pockets to be way more useful from an education, networking and business building standpoint. My one complaint with with the REIA is that someone is pretty much always trying to sell you something e.g. a course, software, a (bad) deal, etc. Stick to Bigger Pockets, go to some of the local meetups, and you'll be fine.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marlon FongPro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Bridge City, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 367 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jeremy Densmore! Welcome aboard! It's great to have you here. Feel free to ask any questions in the forums.

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes
    9y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Jeremy Densmore! I am a member of the Atlanta REIA but to be perfectly honest, I find Bigger Pockets to be way more useful from an education, networking and business building standpoint. My one complaint with with the REIA is that someone is pretty much always trying to sell you something e.g. a course, software, a (bad) deal, etc. Stick to Bigger Pockets, go to some of the local meetups, and you'll be fine.

  • Real Estate Agent · Canton, GA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Jeremy, Welcome to BP, I agree with Marvin, We have a pretty active meetup in the Canton area, nothing wrong with REIA's, they are great for networking, BP has a weath of info and the members agre great resources.

    I am also a Realtor and investor, If you have any questions about what to ask while you are inteviewing brokers when you pass your State Exam, or any questions about the diferences in brokerages feel free to send me an IM

  • Real Estate Agent · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank you for the advice, @Marvin McTaw and @David Cox. So far my only education investment has been a TON of time reading books from the library, listening to podcasts, and discussing investing with my wife and friends. Now that I am here I realize I can go a whole lot further in my pursuit of knowledge without buying any books, services or memberships. 

    Do you guys know of any meetups in the Duluth/Johns Creek/Roswell/Alpharetta area? I'm currently in Lawrenceville but will be moving to Johns Creek soon and plan to focus my sales and investing efforts in that area. Thank you again.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes
    9y

    @Jeremy Densmore You can check out the local meetups page at https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-an... to find stuff that's close to you. I'd also recommend setting up alerts for the names of the towns you want to invest and/or meetup in as all the meetups don't get logged on the page. 

    cc: @David Cox

  • Real Estate Agent · Canton, GA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    If you cant find a meetup group that works for you, it is easy to start your own, check out meetup.com

  • Lender · Norcross, GA · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    I've been a member of Atlanta REIA for years and just recently joined GA REIA. if you focus on what you want to get out of it I think you can make good connections and get lots of good information from both. the annual cost is pretty minimal for the potential value. that said, Atlanta REIAis a for-profit business while Georgia REIA is nonprofit. so you're likely to find the pitching and selling heavier at Atlanta REIA.

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Welcome Jeremy! I am a newer investor as well and have been a member of Atlanta REIA for about 1 month.

    I feel that it is money well spent in education and networking opportunities. You will encounter sales pitches and some people that may not align well with your goals, but the value is there for sure. Especially as a newbie, where we have so much to learn. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP and best of luck with your investing ventures @Alex Garcia and @Jeremy Densmore - Feel free to message me if you have any questions or are looking for a deal!

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Welcome Jeremy Densmore ! I am new to the Atlanta area as well as BP and I would like to wish you the best in your future endeavors. Hopefully one day in the future our paths will cross at a local meetup. Best wishes to you.
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    9y

    @Jeremy Densmore, welcome to BP. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

    Good luck on your journey,

    Bill

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 313 posts · 207 votes
    9y

    Atlanta REIA is good for networking but it attracts a lot of hustlers so be careful. GAREIA is a lot more education focused but has less activity as it is a lot more mature investors in the subgroups. They tend to have a decent amount of experience so it is the better group once you get a few deals under your belt you can get a lot out of it. Hope to meet you in person at one of the events.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeremy Densmore

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Make sure to listen to the podcasts. They are very informative, and contain ample information.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.