New member all the way in Japan

New member all the way in Japan

USAF · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 26 votes

Konichiwa,

My name is Adam and I am just starting to learn about real estate investing, and I am quite interested in the prospects ahead.  Currently I am serving on active duty in the Air Force and stationed in Okinawa Japan.  I have recently become interested in the prospect of real estate investing after having read several books over the past few months, books I'm sure most of you are already familiar with.  After having read all of these books I can truly say my life perspective has changed.  The books I read in order were:

1. "Rich Dad Poor Dad"

2. "Rich Dad's Cash Flow Quadrant"

3. "Bigger Pocket's Ultimate Beginners Guide to REI"

4. "ABCs of Real Estate Investing"

5. "The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing"

Not only have I read these books, but I have been doing a great deal of exploring on the bigger pockets website and listening to the podcasts, all of which I have found to be very motivating and solid information towards building my REI foundation.

I was introduced to this website by a co-worker who is also successful investor, as he saw potential in me and my situation and wanted to encourage me to look further into the possibilities available.  As far as my situation is concerned, I would say I am pretty savvy with finances as I have zero debt, great credit and a substantial amount of savings, but when it came to it I had really zero "financial education".  

After getting somewhat educated and continuing to learn everyday, I have decided that I would like to embark upon the journey of REI. My interest is in the multifamily units, and I would like to purchase a property within a year from now. Obviously I face some potential barriers, the biggest of which is living out of the country, but I know that it is only that an obstacle in which I can overcome. My friend/co-worker is in the same boat as me and has been very successful, so my plan is to continue to use him as a mentor, but also to reach out and make new connections and expand my knowledge. I look forward to being a member of this community and thank you for sticking it out through my long introduction.

Adam

0Reply
16 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Adam Treece, this site has been instrumental in my development as a real estate investor and I am sure there are several hundred others that would agree with me! Ask questions and get active on the forums!

    Best of luck!

  • USAF · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 26 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Stephen Akindona, I appreciate the welcome and look forward to learning more.  I am sure BP will be instrumental in my growth as well.  I am still figuring it out, but so far so good.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Adam Treece

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

  • USAF · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 26 votes
    11y

    @Mark Nolan Thanks for the welcome.  I have definitely will be getting into things and look to continue learning.  So far this site has been an amazing resource, as well as the BP podcast.  I look forward to learning more.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.