Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
New Member Introductions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Justin Bradbury
  • New to Real Estate
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
In the educational phase, looking for more resources

Justin Bradbury
  • New to Real Estate
  • Provo, UT
Posted

Hello, my name is justin and I have recently been listening to the BP podcast and decided to take the next step to learn more and come onto the website. I got interested in real estate after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad and it blew my brain and completely changed my perspective on money and my possibilities. I finished that a couple of weeks ago and then found the BP podcast and listened to the first couple of episodes and I particularly enjoyed the personal stories of how people started out. It really got me excited to learn more and I am eager to get that first deal but feel so unprepared and don't even know where to start. I have written down some of the book recommendations given out in the podcast but would love more resources because it is all very overwhelming and hard to see exactly where to start. Me and my wife live in Provo UT currently, I'm in school for the next 2 years and won't be able to work but my wife is working full-time so we can live. I want to learn about everything and dabble in everything to see what works for us. Please reach out and help us keep moving forward!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied

You will need down payment money, You will need cash reserves Money, you'll need closing costs money, and you will need to get a bank loan.

Figure out how to get this money, maybe you have well-off parents who can give it to you or you may have to earn it yourself.

The bank will want you to be working for a certain amount of time and that have certain credit score plus have your financial ratios match what they want. 

Maybe learn about buying a duplex and living in one half and renting the other half out called a house hack.

The foundation of this comes from the loan- your knowledge of the loan. If you're interested in this learn how that works and learn what you have to be to get that loan. 

There are some very nice houses in Provo. Pretty houses. Talk to some of the Realtors in the city and ask them to define where the neighborhoods are and which neighborhoods they think are best.

You may find a good deal in any neighborhood but some more neighborhoods are more desirable than others. I'm talking neighborhoods not zip codes.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

Hi Justin! Welcome to the community. This a great place to learn what to do and more importantly what not to do. Even if you're still trying to save starting the educational side of this business is very important. Best of luck! 

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied

@Justin Bradbury

To kick off your path in real estate investing, you need education, networking, setting goals, analyzing deals, and starting small. Listen to the BiggerPockets podcast for expert advice, read books like "The Book on Rental Property Investing" and "Set for Life" by Scott Trench, and join local real estate investing groups or meetups. Focus on key metrics like cash flow, ROI, and cap rate. Start small by buying a duplex or single-family home with minimal renovation and in good rental areas. Recommended resources include books, podcasts, websites, forums, and online courses. Practice tips include budgeting, saving, and leveraging strengths. Seek advice from experienced investors and ask questions for a solid foundation.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I would recommend saving up some cash while you're educating yourself through the podcasts, books, forums, etc. Once you feel like you're ready to dive in, house hacking a duplex/triplex is a great start getting into investing. You'll have a place to live, and if you can find tenants, you'll have most if not all of your payments paid for! I would definitely have some reserves saved up in the event that anything comes up. Best of luck in your future investments! 

User Stats

Votes
Masyn Grant Barney
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Replied

Let's grab lunch and get you coming to the bigger pockets monthly meetups in Provo! I'll DM you