What's up everyone, I am an aspiring real estate investor. I am also in the military so I am eligible for the VA loan. I currently don't have any properties, but I am actively looking for a house hack in the city of Huntsville, Alabama, so I can stay there and continue schooling. I see maybe 1 or 2 potentials(4-plexes), but I haven't ran the numbers yet. I have been watching bigger pockets on YouTube for some time now so I decided to come here and hopefully get more education and help before I decide to make the hardest step in investing in real estate which is the first one. I hope to be a guest on the show one day. Anyways once again, Hello!
Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
3y
Good luck finding a good deal on a MF in Huntsville right now - right now, a house hack is actually probably the only way to make the numbers work. Also, I'd be careful with the MF in Huntsville with the number of new build MFs coming on line in the next 2 years.
In the past year, we've found way more deals on flips than LTRs, and we've done two MTRs because they didn't work as LTRs without negative cash flow. It seems like the market here has really picked up in the past 2 months.
Take what the market can give you - don't force deals that don't work, and don't do deals just for the sake of doing a deal.
What's up everyone, I am an aspiring real estate investor. I am also in the military so I am eligible for the VA loan. I currently don't have any properties, but I am actively looking for a house hack in the city of Huntsville, Alabama, so I can stay there and continue schooling. I see maybe 1 or 2 potentials(4-plexes), but I haven't ran the numbers yet. I have been watching bigger pockets on YouTube for some time now so I decided to come here and hopefully get more education and help before I decide to make the hardest step in investing in real estate which is the first one. I hope to be a guest on the show one day. Anyways once again, Hello!
Hi Jalun,
You are in the right place. Welcome. This is truly a great resource to build and network. I’ve learned everyone cares about everyone success on biggerpockets. I look forward to connecting with you. Best of luck.
Rental Property Investor · Japan · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 15 votes
3y
Hello and welcome! I think you picked a great market to do some house hacking as the barrier to entry is a bit lower and the rents out there are good. Its a bit more difficult right now to find a good deal in Huntsville, but the deals are out there especially with all these other buyers priced out. I was able to grab a property out there in January and in contract with another. Good luck to you!
What's up everyone, I am an aspiring real estate investor. I am also in the military so I am eligible for the VA loan. I currently don't have any properties, but I am actively looking for a house hack in the city of Huntsville, Alabama, so I can stay there and continue schooling. I see maybe 1 or 2 potentials(4-plexes), but I haven't ran the numbers yet. I have been watching bigger pockets on YouTube for some time now so I decided to come here and hopefully get more education and help before I decide to make the hardest step in investing in real estate which is the first one. I hope to be a guest on the show one day. Anyways once again, Hello!
Congrats on getting started! Are you looking specifically for multi families that you can house hack or have you consider single familes where you can rent out the other rooms? I'm not sure what your situation or comfort level is. Multi family properties definitely have a premium price tag attached to them as there is not all that many available. Let me know if you ever want to chat, as I'd be happy to.
Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 309 votes
3y
@Jalun Bridges congrats on going after it! I’ve been investing in Huntsville awhile now and it’s definitely a solid market to be making the first step in. The quads are selling at some crazy prices right now but we see small multis come through our wholesale department every now and then. Best of luck!
Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
3y
Good luck finding a good deal on a MF in Huntsville right now - right now, a house hack is actually probably the only way to make the numbers work. Also, I'd be careful with the MF in Huntsville with the number of new build MFs coming on line in the next 2 years.
In the past year, we've found way more deals on flips than LTRs, and we've done two MTRs because they didn't work as LTRs without negative cash flow. It seems like the market here has really picked up in the past 2 months.
Take what the market can give you - don't force deals that don't work, and don't do deals just for the sake of doing a deal.