Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Watts
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
Top real estate school in California?

Shawn Watts
  • Glendale, AZ
Posted Sep 7 2017, 16:25

Hello I am looking to obtain a salesperson real estate license in California. I plan to spend about 6-12 months in a relatively inexpensive city (anywhere in California) that is close enough to a good real estate school. 

Once I obtain my license I plan to move to the Bay area where I will begin my career. 

So, can anyone give me some valuable advice on whether top companies prefer specific licensing schools or if it even matters. Also if there is anything else you think I should know feel free. 

Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Jo-Ann Lapin
Pro Member
  • Loan Officer
  • Tustin, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Loan Officer
  • Tustin, CA
Replied Sep 7 2017, 16:51

Look at Duane gomer

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Benson
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Sep 7 2017, 17:05

@Shawn Watts

I went to a 'Traveling' school in San Diego about 10 years ago call Anthony's. By 'Traveling' I mean they rented out conference rooms and hotel lobbies all over SD. The classes were a few nights per week for about a month.

They really blasted through the info (lecture style) and had a one day crash refresher course I took a few days before my test. I past the test first try, and credit the hundreds of practice questions the school provided.  All I did was memorize the practice questions for a few weeks.

Recently, I took a Real Estate Finance course at CSUF as a requirement for my major. This class was great! They covered a ton of material and it was structured in a way that most universities do. Lots of info, but spread out and relatable. 

I believe the real learning will begin once you receive your licence and jump in. So much of what you learn for the test will not be relevant once you are licensed and in practice. The most beneficial education I received was teaming up with a seasoned top producer at my office. She had 25 years under her belt and was a wealth of knowledge.

If I were to do it again, I would find the fastest and cheapest way to get licensed (online perhaps) and find a mentor or a team to join. Do your due diligence as many offices will bring you onboard knowing that you will have a few deals right off the bat from your sphere, and give you a lousy commision split.

Hope this helps... just a newbie here so be advised!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kirky Galt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Sep 7 2017, 22:20

Hi Shawn,

I would recommend taking the classes online. John Henderson's courses at realestatecentre.biz are great!

Where you study for the test doesn't really matter. Brokers are mostly concerned about your potential as a salesperson. You can get hired at almost any brokerage with no experience, if they believe you can close deals.

User Stats

Votes
Eddy T.
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied Sep 7 2017, 23:27

Rockwell institute is one of the top RE course. Their student pass ratings on state exams is 80%. I'm taking the online course for Washington state. Hope this helps. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jake Thompson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Albany, OR
Replied Sep 9 2017, 20:10

Just as others have said, do it online. I'm in the middle of doing mine at onlineed.com. It's $200 and I'm just trying to fly through it as quickly as possible. Once I get my license the real learning will begin, according to the owner of my PM company I will be working at. He tells me the courses are to pass the test, the experience is where you will learn.

User Stats

Votes
Casey Murray
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Sep 10 2017, 13:20

Agreed, do it online. I did Allied and completed everything in about 5 months. There's no tricks, study and understand the material to pass the test. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Pedroza
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Sep 11 2017, 00:21

@Shawn Watts

For a two day weekend crash exam course try ReTrainers. They're located in Anaheim but I had an instructor here in N. CA (Davis) the weekend of Aug. 26-27.

Took the exam on Tuesday 08/29 and passed. Registration for license and Live-Scan fee's are pending..

• Real Estate Agent CA (#01858403)

• 1-415-786-6700

User Stats

Votes
Ernesto Hernandez
  • Realtor
  • San Francisco, Ca
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Francisco, Ca
Replied Sep 20 2017, 14:12

Besides the approximately  $200 to obtain online, are there annual dues to maintain your license?

User Stats

Votes
Mark Pedroza
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Oct 4 2017, 01:55

@Ernesto Hernandez

Yes, there are fee's for your license from the BRE:

http://www.dre.ca.gov/Licensees/Fees.html

as well from your local board of realtors depending upon where you hang your license..

• Real Estate Agent CA (#01858403)

• 1-415-786-6700