Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Stoddard
Votes |
ADU Garage Conversion

James Stoddard
Posted

I'm doing a simple 20X20 ADU garage conversion (400 sq. ft). I hired an architect and he did some rough designs. Now he says he needs to hire an engineer. Does that make sense? I'd heard that simple garage conversions didn't require an engineer. How much should I expect to spend? The plan involves a common wall connected to the house.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied

I would recommend an engineer for this project for these reasons:

1. This structural connection between the ADU and the main house typically requires engineering calculations to ensure proper load distribution and structural integrity.

2. Even for a "simple" garage conversion, there may be structural changes needed to make the space habitable.

3. An engineer can help ensure that the conversion meets all current building codes and safety standards for residential living spaces.

4. Having engineering plans and calculations can streamline the permitting process, as many local authorities require this documentation for ADU conversions.

I can't give an invoice estimate as I am not well versed in how engineers price their work, but I would assume something around $5,000 for engineering services on a project of this size.