Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Sean Beyrouthy
  • Clifton Heights, PA
Votes |
Short Term Rental Financing

Sean Beyrouthy
  • Clifton Heights, PA
Posted Oct 20 2021, 16:58

Hey everyone! I am out of state and I'm looking into the short term rental market around the Orlando area and I had a question regarding financing. Is it better to look for a local lender in the area I want to buy as they may know that area inside and out, or is it best to look for a national lender (Wells Fargo) to help with financing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, I already own a home that I currently live in so I was lookin to get this short term rental as a vacation/second home since the down payment can be less then if I consider it an investment property. Does anyone have experience with this that can shed some light on the pros and cons? 

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Sherman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Oct 20 2021, 17:14

@Sean Beyrouthy I would not suggest you go with the national lenders, as they are typically more profit focused and less user-friendly. A smaller local bank will be more personalized and will sometimes work harder to keep your business.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Strickland
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Flowery Branch, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Flowery Branch, GA
Replied Oct 20 2021, 17:38

Local bank or a mortgage broker that works in Florida and is used to short term rentals. Your real estate agent should be able to point you to a good one. If they can’t, you may need a new agent.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Garcia
  • Investor
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Florida
Replied Oct 20 2021, 18:08

I would go to the STR agent you're working with, make sure he's good at what he does, and ask him for referrals for his/her go to lender and start from there.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 21 2021, 08:42

I have seen The Mortgage Shop advertised and know its connected with the Short Term Shop.  Has anyone had any experience with them?

User Stats

Votes
Shawn McCormick
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Oct 21 2021, 14:35

Hey @Sean Beyrouthy

In general, a local lender is always preferred and lends credibility that the listing agent can call and speak with someone. Big banks are not good at doing any type of investment loans, get a lender that understands these. Some lenders have programs specifically for STR and others don't want anything to do with them due to risk.

You may be eligible to do a second home loan and only do 10% down or stick with conventional to avoid PMI etc. I could share a few of my lenders to you if you still have a need.

Shawn McCormick Logo

User Stats

Votes
Natasha Jansen
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Oct 26 2021, 11:03

@Sean Beyrouthy I too would suggest a local lender. @Tyler Gibson is a wonderful agent that works with out of state investors in the Orlando area and he’d be able to provide you with some recommendations for local lenders. Good luck with your search!

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Gibson
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Oct 26 2021, 12:24
Originally posted by @Sean Beyrouthy:

Hey everyone! I am out of state and I'm looking into the short term rental market around the Orlando area and I had a question regarding financing. Is it better to look for a local lender in the area I want to buy as they may know that area inside and out, or is it best to look for a national lender (Wells Fargo) to help with financing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, I already own a home that I currently live in so I was lookin to get this short term rental as a vacation/second home since the down payment can be less then if I consider it an investment property. Does anyone have experience with this that can shed some light on the pros and cons? 

You probably want to work with someone that has done something like this before. I can get you a name if you would like. The benefit to a 2nd home loan which Shawn already mentioned is that you can do 10% down. I am not a lender so don't quote me but I believe that you will be required to sign a document that since this is a 2nd, home you will live there 14 days a year and will not be using a property manager for the home. 

User Stats

Votes
Jefferson Brown
  • Investor
  • South Jordan, UT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • South Jordan, UT
Replied Oct 26 2021, 13:13

@Sean Beyrouthy we've used Visio Lending since they specialize in loans for short term rentals (thats a very rare thing).  Id put my contact there in this email if it didn't get blocked.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Oct 29 2021, 20:47

@Jefferson Brown, do they use market rents? That’s what LendingOne does. I’m curious about their process, as it has been awhile since I did a refi with Visio, but we used them on a long term rental.

User Stats

Votes
Jefferson Brown
  • Investor
  • South Jordan, UT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • South Jordan, UT
Replied Oct 29 2021, 21:37
Originally posted by @Kerry Baird:

@Jefferson Brown, do they use market rents? That’s what LendingOne does. I’m curious about their process, as it has been awhile since I did a refi with Visio, but we used them on a long term rental.

They use airdna to calculate DSCR (debt service coverage ratio)